Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
08 ESV
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve just imported into Canada, a nice (a nice as I could find meeting all my criteria) 2008 esv and NOW find out that I can’t register until the airbag recall has been done (wording on the GM site is soft and not really clear that it’s actually a recall).
Local dealer tells me no parts available, GM Canada can’t tell me when parts will be available and I’m left with a AZ temporary registration that expires in 10 weeks give or take?
Has anyone got any clever ideas on how they have dealt successfully with this?
I’m thinking I may have to take my lumps now and sell it back to the US.
RIV won’t issue a form 2 until I can prove recall has been completed.
Anyone in WA OR or Northern Cali looking for a clean AZ esv with 100k miles? Lol
Seriously, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Couch.

·
Registered
2009 Escalade Lux AWD; 2005 STS N*AWD 1SG
355 Posts
I'm in eastern Washington with a physical address that I might be willing to help get licensing for

·
Registered
16' Escalade Plat, 10' SRX Premium, 12' Escalade Plat (totaled)
3 Posts
When I bought my 2012 in Jan,2018 it was listed as no recalls. The Cadillac dealership had me sign Car Fax & internal paperwork stating this truck has no recalls. Maybe they changed the airbags by 2012? If so, could you possibly update your airbag to the 2012+ to pass regulations? Won't be cheap but maybe less than the hit you would take selling it back to the US.

·
Registered
2016 Escalade ESV, 2017 GMC Sierra 6.2
1,960 Posts
I don't think there is an Airbag recall for the Escalade. Never heard of one. Maybe you meant the chassis control module recall? That's the only one I can think of that went across multiple Escalade model years.

·
Registered
355 Posts
There is a recall on the airbag inflator in the Escalade. Part of the horrible Takata ordeal. Here's my notice....

·
Registered
08 ESV
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes. There is currently an open recall for the passenger side airbag inflator with no remedy available.

Be warned that you will not be able to obtain a “form 2” from the RIV to complete a federal inspection and that means you will not be able to register in Canada ANY 2007-2008 Escalade, ESV, EXT, Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, Sierra... that is by no means a complete list, there are many years and models affected by this TAKATA debacle (I’m just talking what I know about for sure).

Oh sure, you can buy one, import it in to Canada... but be prepared to have it sit in your driveway or suitable storage area of your choice until GM pulls their finger out and supply the parts to complete the recall.

After repeated calls to Cadillac, GM Canada, Transport Canada and the RIV... I’m not getting any answers as to when this could be done or when parts to fix this will be available.

I’ll post back when and if I get more information.

This may take a while.

Cheers
Couch.

·
Registered
2009 Escalade
5 Posts
I was planning on importing a 2009 Escalade Premium to Canada but seemingly I would not be able to get it registered because of this darn recall. I was even willing to pay out of pocket for the repairs as GM is fighting this recall. GM doesn't want to pay the cost of this recall since it will cost them about $1 billion which they haven't made any provision in their financials for. I was planning on calling around some dealers to see what they say but I bet they will all not have the parts.

I guess that I will have to look at a 2015+ since I don't believe those were affected.

·
Registered
2016 Escalade ESV, 2017 GMC Sierra 6.2
1,960 Posts
I was planning on importing a 2009 Escalade Premium to Canada but seemingly I would not be able to get it registered because of this darn recall. I was even willing to pay out of pocket for the repairs as GM is fighting this recall. GM doesn't want to pay the cost of this recall since it will cost them about $1 billion which they haven't made any provision in their financials for. I was planning on calling around some dealers to see what they say but I bet they will all not have the parts.

I guess that I will have to look at a 2015+ since I don't believe those were affected.
According to the website, 2012 and newer aren't affected.
And no, the dealers won't have parts because its not a real recall yet. It is very confusing to why Canada counts it as a recall when it is not...yet.

·
Registered
19 Escalade ESV Platinum 08 SRX N* 13/14 Escalade Platinum
677 Posts
There is a recall on the airbag inflator in the Escalade. Part of the horrible Takata ordeal. Here's my notice....
I see this letter is from July 2016 and the 10th digit in the vin is a 9 which is 2009 model year.

Not for the 08. maybe it is for the 2009 Escalade Lux AWD in your profile?

·
Registered
355 Posts
I see this letter is from July 2016 and the 10th digit in the vin is a 9 which is 2009 model year.

Not for the 08. maybe it is for the 2009 Escalade Lux AWD in your profile?
Yep. This is for my '09.
Still has not been repaired

·
Registered
355 Posts
REVIVING AN OLD THREAD
I just thought I'd share my experience with selling/ trading in my 2009 Escalade.
The Takata airbag recall SUCKS and GM/Cadillac suck worse!
Thanks a lot, GM. Trying to sell a vehicle with an open recall is the worst. Even the local Cadillac and GMC dealerships knocked between $1,800 & $2,200 off of the book value of my Escalade because it had an open recall. Doesn't matter that they are the place that should repair the recall item at no charge.
Out of frustration, I tried to sell the vehicle myself. You'd think I'd be able to get a decent value for the Escalade. 2009, AWD, Ultra Luxury w/ rear DVD and power running boards, every option working great and only 119k miles. Book private party value was up to $18,500 in this zip code area. Yeah, well, three weeks on multiple sales sites and not a single person came to see it, even when I dropped the price down to $16k. ONE guy called as soon as I dropped to $16k - but he asked about open recalls and accidents. I'm not gonna lie, so I told him about the recall situation and that GM stated in their letter to me that the vehicle was safe to operate. He basically said no thanks and that was that.
So, long story short, I accepted $14,500 trade in value from Ford and I'm the VERY happy owner of a new 2019 Platinum Expedition. It's HANDS DOWN nicer than all but the platinum version of Cadillac's Escalade (and even then, the towing and third row don't even compare - Ford nailed it).
It'll be a tough sell for me to ever return to GM after this fiasco and straight murder of my vehicle's value because of their incompetence.

·
Registered
08 ESV
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well,
here’s the update so far. Been sitting in my driveway since the week I imported it 😢

Just happened to be in at one of the local GM dealers for parts on another of my bow tie product (you’d think I’m a sucker for punishment) and quipped with the parts guy if he had “any of them airbag inflators for a GMT900?”

what do you know!!! Now I’m booked in for replacement this coming Tuesday on recall.

dealer will provide the recall printout showing all open recalls have been completed which in turn will allow me to comply with Canadian import regulations which allows me to then get the forms to finalize registration in BC.

let’s hope the wait has been worth it. This has been such a horrible experience that I will never, ever purchase another GM product ever (new or used) or try to import something into Canada newer than 15 years.

I should have stuck with what I know and love best... 80’s Toyota landcruisers.

truth be told, not sure who I’m angrier with... GM for dragging their feet for years and no fox given, the Canadian government for ridiculous and arbitrary import regulations or myself for being tempted by a shiny new thing.

lesson learned. I’ll post up when it has plates.

·
Registered
09 Escalade ESV Platinum
627 Posts
The allowable and continued petitions that both GM AND Ford were allowed to file that granted them time, since 2016, to act like an insurance company with impunity and attrition was a reflection of the times. Government and regulators favored big business like no time in prior history.

The airbags in comparable GM vehicles up North had airbag inflators manufactured by another company so, no recall. A friendly wrecker may be able to help you out on a GM truck part if you approach them correctly.

Out of the blue GM recently said, ok we’re fixing it. Last month Ford said the same on their Takata air bags.

Lucky you times changed for the better in favor of the consumer. Make sure you get the undercarriage protected ASAP with an oil based sealer and get a block heater installed. Make sure your battery ground cables are up to par and the exterior harness that runs next to the d/s front axle is secured so it won’t tether around the axle.

Good luck Couch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
Cadillac
1,394 Posts
This was a helluva problem. Ouch

·
Registered
08 ESV
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The allowable and continued petitions that both GM AND Ford were allowed to file that granted them time, since 2016, to act like an insurance company with impunity and attrition was a reflection of the times. Government and regulators favored big business like no time in prior history.

The airbags in comparable GM vehicles up North had airbag inflators manufactured by another company so, no recall. A friendly wrecker may be able to help you out on a GM truck part if you approach them correctly.

Out of the blue GM recently said, ok we’re fixing it. Last month Ford said the same on their Takata air bags.

Lucky you times changed for the better in favor of the consumer. Make sure you get the undercarriage protected ASAP with an oil based sealer and get a block heater installed. Make sure your battery ground cables are up to par and the exterior harness that runs next to the d/s front axle is secured so it won’t tether around the axle.

Good luck Couch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thank you for wishing me luck but I’m not exactly sure what you’re on about??? I think you have missed the mark on this discussion.

airbag inflators in Canada are exactly the same Takata airbag inflators used in GMT900 platform as US models.

was and is definitely under recall in Canada. The part in question (passenger side airbag inflator) has never really been my actual issue, it was the recall clearance letter to comply with import regulations in Canada, that was the real issue. Outstanding recall= a vehicle not able to be registered for the road in any Canadian province=can’t drive it

Although if I’d bought the same vehicle in Canada back in 2018 I’d have been driving it since then instead of sitting on a lame duck import for 3 years. Airbag inflator recall and all.

the dithering-on of GM and the inability of the NHTSA to make a decision one way or another in a reasonable amount of time we’re the biggest contributing factors.

As well as others factors (various levels of Canadian government) mentioned previously in this thread.

GM was ORDERED by the NHTSA to recall the GMT900 from 07-14 passenger airbag inflators, the ones GM had been fighting to not recall for 4 years. This decision was made in November of 2020 iirc.

interesting to mention that Canada has zero legislation to make a vehicle manufacturer recall a vehicle. Manufacturers recalls in Canada are all voluntary. How’s that for consumer protection. Lol

I would definitely agree to “Government and regulators favored big business like no time in prior history.”

I’m going to drive this POS into the ground or sell it once I’ve got the import sorted. No idea as to the outcome yet... time will tell.

Couch.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts