Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at two 2006 Cadillac CTS's for the same price. One has the 3.6 and the other has the 2.8. The 2.8 is in black, which I love, with just over 19k miles and sunroof and appears to have been taken a little bit better care of, while the 3.6 is bronze color, not my favorite, with only 11k miles and it does have the bigger engine. I've run Carfax and Autocheck on both vehicles and the black comes back perfect while the bronze reports a minor accident apparently while in original dealer possesion. It still scores a 92 on Autocheck which is pretty good but the wheels have some road rash and under the rearend there is some surface rust on the springs. I've been searching here and the general consensus seems to be that the 2.8 isn't powerful enough to haul around the CTS and some even seem downright dismissive of it. Both are $16,999 which seems pretty good but I wanted some input as to how much I'll regret it if I get a CTS with the 2.8. Thanks for any input either way.

·
Registered
2006 CTS 2.8L
2,471 Posts
I own a 2.8L. It's a great car. I don't "race" or anything, and it seems to have enough pickup to pass people on the street and maneuver on the highway pretty well. I really don't understand the need for more horsepower, but then again I'm just a kid. If you want to race, get a V. If you want reliability, I can tell you there is no difference going with the smaller engine. Everything else about the car is the same.

And you'll be kicking yourself if you get a color you don't like. Trust me on that.

·
Registered
Cadillac
192 Posts
I say dont sacrifice either. For that price you should get the color you want and the power you deserve. Either way your gonna kick yourself in the end. Keep shopping. Another month or so of looking will probably make you a happy driver for the next 5 years.

·
Registered
cts
17 Posts
I also went through the same dilema! I ended up getting the 2.8L. It has plenty of power, and actually alot quicker than I thought it would be. The one thing I really do not like about the 2.8 however, is the exhaust is single, and doesnt look as nice as the duals on the 3.6.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS Every Option
516 Posts
I also went through the same dilema! I ended up getting the 2.8L. It has plenty of power, and actually alot quicker than I thought it would be. The one thing I really do not like about the 2.8 however, is the exhaust is single, and doesnt look as nice as the duals on the 3.6.
Oh yeah those ugly steel exhaust turn down tips cadillac hooked us up with. ****ing UAW :histeric:

·
Registered
2006 CTS 2.8L
2,471 Posts
Yeah, no dual exhaust is kind of a con... But as for the motor, I think it's great!

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
A couple of thoughts:

1. There are about 13 million CTSs out there for sale (04--07). Many have less than 20k miles. Go on cars.com and perhaps autotrader.com. (13 mil is a slight exaggeration.)

2. I personally like the 3.6--plenty of power to get on expressways. I am a firm believer that the bigger engine will get better gas mileage than the 2.8.

3. If you have the time, look around some more. Keep in mind that this is a real buyer's market. Additionally, the end of the month is the time to buy a car cause the sales person and the sales manager need to make their quotas. Dealers usually have at least $4,000 mark up on every used car. Many times, it is even more than that.

4. If I were you, I would buy a car that is still within the orig fact warr and that has less than 24,000 miles on it. A GM factory warranty will cost you less than $1,000 for the next 36 months. (Preferred vendors here sell them.) Sounds like your two possible deals fall in that category.

5. In short, make a wish list in writing of all the options you want. Do a search on internet. You will find the car of your choice.

6. After you select 2 or 3 cars, have the sellers provide you with a car fax.

7. Then have any GM service writer run the vin thru GM. Check for prev problems and whether there is a blocked warranty.

Take your time. If in doubt, walk.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2006 CTS 2.8L - Black/Black
129 Posts
I have a 06 2.8, bought it with 17k and now its at 92k. No issues w/ the engine (besides that crank sensor everyone seems to have a problem with). Yes, it could use a little more power, but its not slow. You wont win any races but I didn't buy a base CTS for the speed, i would have abought something else. Its been an awesome car. I test drove a tan 3.6 with tan interior, thank god I didn't buy that. Mine is black on black. 99% of people won't know what engine you have. I remember a technician at the dealer I spoke to tell me from his experience that the 3.6's have more issues than the 2.8, somethinig w/ the timing chain. Drive both and see what feels better to your right foot!

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the 2.8. GM has been making them for years. I hate their sound (but that is just my opinion).

They are old technology, where the 3.6 is much newer technology. But new technology also means more complicated, and more costly if something breaks. But they have roughly 30% more power with about the same fuel economy.

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
If you're concerned with the power, drive both. I'm certain there are both 2.8L & 3.6L CTSes for sale around you; go take a look at them and drive both then use that to judge for yourself.

I went with a 3.6L, it was a blast to drive & *felt* quick, even though it's a 15second car.

·
Registered
The Mighty Kael, 2004 Black CTS, Every Option
2,432 Posts
jimmyh:
what the hell are you smoking?

the 3.6 and the 2.8 are the same engine.
literally.
the 2.8 has (i think) different bores and sleeves on the cylinders and of course different pistons. other than that its the same hfv6 as the 3.6L

here:
A 2.8 L (2792 cc) LP1 variant was introduced in the 2005 Cadillac CTS. It has a 3.50 in (89.0 mm) bore, a 2.94 in (74.8 mm) stroke, and a 10.0:1 compression ratio. It generates 210 hp (157 kW) at 6500 rpm, and 194 lb·ft (263 N·m) at 3300 rpm. Fuel economy 4-5.9 km/lite in city, 7-10 km/lite on highway.

The 3.6 L (3564 cc) LY7 version was introduced in the 2004 Cadillac CTS sedan. It has a 10.2:1 compression ratio and produces 255 hp (190 kW) at 6200 rpm and 252 lb·ft (342 N·m) at 3100 rpm. The bore is 3.70 in (94.0 mm) and the stroke is 3.37 in (85.6 mm). In some applications, including the Buick LaCrosse and Holden Commodore, the LY7 has an output of 235 to 262 hp (175 to 195 kW) and 225 to 251 ft·lbf (305 to 340 N·m) depending on the vehicle induction and exhaust system designs.

its a buyers market, only buy what you want. keep shopping for your perfect car

1 - 18 of 18 Posts