Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
'04 Raven CTS-V - Maggie'd
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, differential #5 @ 9800 miles. I've now had more diffs in the car than oil changes!!!

The good part is that the service dept where I went was top notch. No questions asked. Also had the nav system replaced [chipped buttons] and a check airbag warning fixed. I will likely buy an Escalade from them in the Spring.

So, the car is once again PRISTINE. Anyone want it? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
FYI - it was whining under load after it got warmed up. Not horrible, but still pissing me off!

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
800 Posts
I think I've found the source of your problem: Maggie'd

Or maybe the new rears are a symptom?

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Yep, differential #5 @ 9800 miles. I've now had more diffs in the car than oil changes!!!

The good part is that the service dept where I went was top notch. No questions asked. Also had the nav system replaced [chipped buttons] and a check airbag warning fixed. I will likely buy an Escalade from them in the Spring.

So, the car is once again PRISTINE. Anyone want it? :thumbsup:
I'm gonna wait for rear #6. By then, the mechanics should have perfected their installation technique.

·
Registered
'04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V, '13ZL1, '12 V, '16 Z06 SC757
6,440 Posts
Damn, I thought my record would stand forever. But if you own this car for another 5,000 miles, you will not only tie my 6 replacements, you might actually make 7. Oh well, I'll be Hank Aaron to your Barry Bonds.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Damn, I thought my record would stand forever. But if you own this car for another 5,000 miles, you will not only tie my 6 replacements, you might actually make 7. Oh well, I'll be Hank Aaron to your Barry Bonds.
I'm going to make this my last diff - one way or another! :thepan:

·
Registered
'09 V BR 4dr 6spd,'05 C6R 1400+HP, '05 V BEST EVA!!
2,660 Posts
BLACK_CTSV.
How many rears replaced since the Maggie install?
Did the dealer install your Maggie?

Five rear-ends (materials and labor) must have cost GM/Cadillac/Dealership close to $10,000-I cannot understand their logic in not understanding these associated costs compared to the lesser costs of making it right at the production point:confused:.

My bewilderment does not take into account the bad publicity (how many other cars go through this nonsense,,, a perfect lead-in for my buddy CVP33) or customer dissatisfaction factor.

By the way, still love my V, just wish I could drive her harder without the fear of the rear-end grenading.

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
This is why GM put a harmonic dampener on the new CTS rear diffs- to avoid frivolous warranty claims.

If you think the new rear isn't going to whine then you're wrong- they all do it. The whine is a harmonic issue that is temporarily cured when everything gets tightened back up. The whining isn't indicative of failure- clunking and binding are. Whining is a normal rear drive characteristic that is especially bad in the CTS/STS/SRX due to the design. Do a Google search for "rear end whine" if you think other cars don't have the problem- there's tons of topics on BMWs, trucks, Mustangs, etc....

I've done plenty of hard driving and never had a diff failure, just the normal whine. I'm living with my whine while figuring out how to retrofit the dampener off the 2008, which shouldn't take me long.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BLACK_CTSV.
How many rears replaced since the Maggie install?
Did the dealer install your Maggie?
I *believe* 2 or 3. I got the car [nearly a year ago] with a brand-new diff. I broke it in per instructions, and it got progressively louder as time [and miles] went on.

The original owner put on the Maggie.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
This is why GM put a harmonic dampener on the new CTS rear diffs- to avoid frivolous warranty claims.
I just mentioned the noise when I was making the appointment to have my airbag warning and chipping nav buttons fixed. THEY decided to change it. Their decision was based on the volume of my car's whine compared to *similar* cars. I was certainly not going to keep them from completing the repair. Most people [i.e. potential buyers] know about these diff issues with the V, and are scared to death. Having a brand new one installed, probably just added $2k to the value of the vehicle.

If you think the new rear isn't going to whine then you're wrong- they all do it. The whine is a harmonic issue that is temporarily cured when everything gets tightened back up. The whining isn't indicative of failure- clunking and binding are. Whining is a normal rear drive characteristic that is especially bad in the CTS/STS/SRX due to the design.
There was a quiet [yet distinct] clunk on accel/decel, but they swapped it out because of the whine [howl, as they referred to it].

·
Registered
'04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V, '13ZL1, '12 V, '16 Z06 SC757
6,440 Posts
Now wait a minute. Your's were replaced for just whining?! Mine were catastrophic failures. That's like comparing base hits to home runs. You sir are no Barry Bonds. How dare you!?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now wait a minute. Your's were replaced for just whining?! Mine were catastrophic failures. That's like comparing base hits to home runs. You sir are no Barry Bonds. How dare you!?

Haha - I'm definitely not in the same league. No complete failures, to my knowledge :)

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, his right foot is on 'roids. :D
Heh - I certainly do not drive slow :)

But, I don't abuse it, either. I never launch hard, and always granny shift. I really wish I could drive this car how I want. [Had 2 Vettes before].

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Welcome to the 5 diff club! Only a select few "elite" members reach that point :rolleyes:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts