Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CTSV, silver, manual
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my new 09 silver/black int, 6-speed manual, Recaro, no sunroof, painted wheels from Scott yesterday. (sorry pics later, camera not with me now) First let me give credit to Scott - he is the man to buy a V from. These cars are a rare things where I am from, very hard to find one in stock and most local dealers do not have allocation. I counted at least 5 new Vs at Scott's dealership, not including mine. Scott can get the cars, will discount them, knows them inside and out, and will give you a no BS deal. For anybody reading this considering a purchase I highly recommend you give Scott at Superior Cadillac a call, he can get you the car you want and save you money.

I drove it home approx 400 miles yesterday. Let me list some initial observations and comments, sort of random thoughts but things I have not always seen mentioned here. First, the power is just nuts, hard to describe really, more than I expected. Acceleration is effortless in 6th gear, and just flat out brutal in 1st to 4th (and I did not really get into it heavy yet). It has so much torque you really do not need to shift at all. Which brings me to the manual trans - it is MUCH better than I expected. Based ONLY on things I had read I had a bad perception, thinking the manual trans was a bit clunky or rough. The shifts are very smooth, with great positive engagement, not rough or sticky at all, and the throws are very short with ideal shifter placement for me. Clutch takeup is also very short, and after the first few stumbly shifts I quickly learned to modulate it easily. My last performance manual was an S2000 and that is my benchmark for a manual trans (worldclass), and this is almost as good, really. I know the auto is very good (and faster), but I am very pleased with the manual and glad I selected it at this point. It just seems to fit this torque monster so well.

Random thoughts and observations:
1. Recaro seats are nice, but do require tuning - they are so adjustable I kept finding myself tweaking settings here and there. I will get it set right and save it memory.
2. The interior ambient lighting at night, along the carbon fiber line on the dash is cool. I had no idea it did that until it came on!
3. The headlights are also very good and look good. The HIDs are bright though and I found if I followed another car too close they were getting flashed pretty heavy.
4. The painted wheels look good IMO, I like the lower bling factor
5. The dash is too busy with chrome bezels and trim pieces, and the piano black needs to go away. I just prefer something more understated
6. The radio/NAV gives an alert if a weather alert signal is received, VERY nice feature (it did this on my way home, to my surprise).
7. The exhaust sounds great at idle, but is very very quiet on the highway. Maybe too quiet. Supercharger is very quiet also, I would not mind a little more noise.
8. The whole car is very quiet and comfortable on the highway. The mag shocks are awesome.
9. The front end seems to work well in intimidating various Priuses and hybrids I encountered as I came up behind them at a high rate of speed!
10. A larger fuel tank would be useful. Averaged around 17mpg, as expected.
11. I swear this could be the best car nobody knows about. GM seems to have that problem lately though. If you get good pricing it is an incredible bargain.

·
Registered
Started with '04 BR V, moved on to '09 Slvr V, now '13 CRT coupe
1,957 Posts
:2thumbs: Congrats!!!

The exact color combo & options that I've obsessed over getting.
Enjoy!!

·
Registered
2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)
4,537 Posts
Another S2000 owner! Do you still have yours? And if the V's manny tranny is that good, that only makes me wish I'd gotten a 6MT, wife or no....

In any case, thanks for your report, congrats on your car, and I have to throw in the obligatory Scott is the man. :D He is, really, a no-BS salesman who knows his V inside and out.

I agree with your comments on the gas tank. While the mileage doesn't bother me that much, just ONE MORE GALLON would make a HUGE difference in terms of range.

·
Registered
2009 CTSv & 2006 STSv + 1991 SHO
219 Posts
Congrats! It is definanlty a great car.

Had mine now for 2 weeks and although the weather up here hasn't been ideal the car is alot of fun to drive.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another S2000 owner! Do you still have yours? And if the V's manny tranny is that good, that only makes me wish I'd gotten a 6MT, wife or no....
I had an 03, last year for the 9k motor. Silverstone with red interior (rare combo I think, never saw another one). Got rid of it a couple years ago, but I loved that car, a lot of fun. I tracked it some, and I learned a lot with that car on the track. Always thought of it like a training jet somehow, fast and sharp, very capable, but could never hang with the big dogs on the track (never intended to though). I did not mod it because, really there was not much to be gained. I did install audible shift alarm and the obligatory track pads and fluids. Great car overall, a lot of fun to drive, and pure in design and purpose. I am a Honda fan. What year is yours?

The V is a completely different animal. My wife wanted me to get the auto, but she will drive the stick also, so I went that way. I really do like the manual though, it just is exceeding my expectations, perhaps becuase I had read some critiques of the manual that described it differently than what I am experiencing. Manual or auto it is a great car. I considered another Corvette but the sedan makes it so much more useful - I can take the kids! I am seriously thinking of a vanity plate - 4DRZR1 !

·
Registered
Cadillac 2009 CTS-V Radiant Silver
867 Posts
BACKUP

11. I swear this could be the best car nobody knows about. GM seems to have that problem lately though. If you get good pricing it is an incredible bargain.[/quote]

I will agree 100%

I have yet to find many people that claim to be a "car" person that knows anything about the V . If this person does know, the knowledge is very limited..

When Scott is involved, you get a smile on your face, no BS ( but some piggy stuff).

But, did you ge the free pig that he gave me, he left it in the trunk. Scott forgot to mention the pig, so 2460 miles later when I got home... a mess. and Scott won't pop far a carpet shampoo.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
BACKUP

11. I swear this could be the best car nobody knows about. GM seems to have that problem lately though. If you get good pricing it is an incredible bargain.[/quote]

I will agree 100%

I have yet to find many people that claim to be a "car" person that knows anything about the V . If this person does know, the knowledge is very limited..

When Scott is involved, you get a smile on your face, no BS ( but some piggy stuff).

But, did you ge the free pig that he gave me, he left it in the trunk. Scott forgot to mention the pig, so 2460 miles later when I got home... a mess. and Scott won't pop far a carpet shampoo.

Very Funny Van.. I am glad you like your V Jason. If you need anything please let me know.

·
Registered
Owned 3 V's, now driving a Wrangler and XT5
2,574 Posts
Welcome to the club. Enjoy your car, but just know that silver is not nearly as fast as black. Sorry to be the first one to break it to you.

Enjoy, now go out and get those rear tires spinnin!

·
Registered
2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)
4,537 Posts
11. I swear this could be the best car nobody knows about. GM seems to have that problem lately though. If you get good pricing it is an incredible bargain.
I just noticed this one. I beg to differ. Since I bought this car, I've had a total stranger drive into my driveway and tell me how much he loved my V, I've had two people tail me on the freeway, cell phones in hand, obviously filming my car, and when I announced my defection from Acura.....I ended up with a (very positive!) seven page thread on Acurazine....let's just say, don't take your car to the car wash. Oh believe me, people know about this car. This is one of those cars in which the buzz machine worked, and the buzz is accurate.

I had an 03, last year for the 9k motor. Silverstone with red interior (rare combo I think, never saw another one). Got rid of it a couple years ago, but I loved that car, a lot of fun. I tracked it some, and I learned a lot with that car on the track. Always thought of it like a training jet somehow, fast and sharp, very capable, but could never hang with the big dogs on the track (never intended to though). I did not mod it because, really there was not much to be gained. I did install audible shift alarm and the obligatory track pads and fluids. Great car overall, a lot of fun to drive, and pure in design and purpose. I am a Honda fan. What year is yours?
AP1 FTW! Mine is a 2002 Sebring Silver, all stock except some cheap Rota D2 wheels, more for "show" than "go". I don't plan to give mine up anytime soon because....well, sometimes you just need to shift at 9k rpm. It's a much more visceral sports car experience than one can ever hope for in the V. I'm planning on learning some autox this year in the S. Was just on the Tail of the Dragon in the car two weeks ago, too. Lots of fun in that car, much more so than it would have been in the V (not enough straight road to wind up 556 hp).

Have fun with your V! It is an AWESOME car that is fun in its own way.

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V Sedan, 2011 CTS Coupe, 2010 Ford Raptor
3,547 Posts
:2thumbs: Congrats!!!

The exact color combo & options that I've obsessed over getting.
Enjoy!!
Congrats Backup.

EXACT options I am looking for too. :highfive:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, a couple more comments after a few more miles. Still under 1000 miles but have learned a few things.

1. On the manual, the pedal spacing is very narrow, moreso than any other sports car I have ever driven, including the S2000 and a Lotus. I have large feet (size 12) and I don't heel and toe the traditional way, I will place the left side of my foot on the brake and use the right side on the gas and use a sideways motion to blip the throttle while maintaing good control of the brake. I find that the brake pedal is spaced so close to the gas that my foot catches the right side of the brake pedal when going from gas to brake. Once there the close proximity helps heel and toe for me but I have puckered a couple times going for the brake and my foot clips the right side of the brake pedal. I will look for narrow soled shows when I track it, which is the only time a fractional second delay getting to the brake will really matter. I wil prob adjust to it after some more time. The clutch pedal is placed perfectly for me.

2. I might backpedal some on the 'greatest car nobody knows about' comment. In the less than 1000 miles I have driven it so far it has gotten more attention than the S2000 and Corvette I used to drive. Some people do seem to know what it is. It seems to irritate some people though, has anybody else seen this? I get people camped out in the left lane in front of me all the time, like they see me come up behind and intentionally sit there. I never got that in the other sports cars I have had or any of my other current vehicles. And I have a silver car! Not sinister black or in your face red or something.

3. I have found myself driving it with a lot of revs, just cruising around between 2-3k rpm. It has the torque to pull from 1000 rpm, but it is just so darn addictive to accelerate in that sweet 2500+ zone that I find myself just keeping it there.

4. I have the Recaros in a comfortable position now. I have a sensitive back, and need a seat with NO lumbar bulge. I have emptied the lumbar bladders as much as possible and have the seat back relatively upright but the seat front lifted some. Works for me, the side bolsters can be tightened easily for more hold if needed and I find them very comfy for frequent use.

·
Registered
CTS-V 2009 White Diamond, 996TT Silver, G35 Coupe 6mt, M45S
413 Posts
OK, a couple more comments after a few more miles. Still under 1000 miles but have learned a few things.

3. I have found myself driving it with a lot of revs, just cruising around between 2-3k rpm. It has the torque to pull from 1000 rpm, but it is just so darn addictive to accelerate in that sweet 2500+ zone that I find myself just keeping it there.
Once you get it tuned properly (I use w4m), you'll get a lot more hp/tq at lower rpms. I had the same problem, but in the automatic. To drive it with power readily available under the trottle, i had to constantly drive in manual mode at higher rpms. In my manual 996tt I cruise at 2500rpm, but at 3000rpm, i'm ready for anything. But in the caddy it's now simply stomp on it and goes! The w4m tune keeps it at minimum of 1500 and usually at 2000rpm and from there it now feels great. And I feel the car is getting better with age. I'm now at 5900 miles and it flies. Just yesterday I did a 1.31g left turn without squeeling the tires(too much:).

Hans.

·
Premium Member
2009 CTS-V Black/Black, manual
1,371 Posts
^^^ I agree - and congrats Backup! Just over 1000 miles myself and already have the wait4me tune installed, (manual tranny). :D

I also get a lot of attention - more than any other car I've owned I think.

Enjoy!:thumbsup:

Rob

·
Registered
'09 CTS-V
231 Posts
I agree with you on all points. I would add:

1) The Sport Suspension button needs a light behind it to indicate that it is active (I forget that I have it engaged on smooth roads)
2) The "Ding" that precedes navigational instruction is ridiculously loud. I swear if I find out it comes of a sole purpose speaker... I'm going to shoot the speaker.
3) I few small rattle in the plastic on mine that the dealer cant/wont fix
4) The fake carbon fiber trim... make it real, it's not that expensive.
5) Heads Up Display... yes please
6) ++ on the gas take size. Sense we lost the spare tire it seems logical to add another 5-8 gallons on the tank (it is the worst mpg caddy on the road and it has the smallest gas tank)
7) More HP please... there is no such thing as enough power. :)

·
Registered
867 Posts
may be wrong but there is a volume button in the Nav systemi
I'd like biggie gas tank also, will make bigger bang, when some jerk hits us....

·
Registered
09 CTS-V
93 Posts
Congrats thank you for the observations, hope to get mine soon; Thunder Gray, ebony, ultra vbiew, nav, & recaros. Do you plan to get a tune?

·
Registered
867 Posts
Got more than I can handle now..... here in leftist land of Oregon , the bike paths, tolly lines, street cars, and light rail & Buses....
and the weiners that drive the greenie/euro snob cars... no one seems to have a clue what the V is all about.

Go for it. your gunna rock

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T
3,085 Posts
The fact that very few people know what the v is, is a cool thing. I've had several kids like between 8-12yrs old either say " cool caddy man " or "wow" as they point at my V while the dad is standing there wiping down his big 750li, lol. Whats funny is that alot of young boys that aren't even in their teens can just smell out the power :histeric: ahhhh the future car enthusiasts

·
Registered
238 Posts
I agree with you on all points. I would add:

1) The Sport Suspension button needs a light behind it to indicate that it is active (I forget that I have it engaged on smooth roads)
2) The "Ding" that precedes navigational instruction is ridiculously loud. I swear if I find out it comes of a sole purpose speaker... I'm going to shoot the speaker.
3) I few small rattle in the plastic on mine that the dealer cant/wont fix
4) The fake carbon fiber trim... make it real, it's not that expensive.
5) Heads Up Display... yes please
6) ++ on the gas take size. Sense we lost the spare tire it seems logical to add another 5-8 gallons on the tank (it is the worst mpg caddy on the road and it has the smallest gas tank)
7) More HP please... there is no such thing as enough power. :)
1) I have to disagree. When U hit the button it clearly tells U that it's on in the DIC. I persoanlly am not a fan of intrusive additional LEDs for the sake of it all.

2) Never noticed it.

3) Not having this issue.

4) I'm cool with the Carbon Fiber, but I will change the Carbon Fiber to Wood trim when it's available.:duck:

5) YES... I love it in my Vette, and would love it here. :bouncy:

6) I guess it would be cool, but since it's not my Daily Driver I guess I haven't had chance to have issue with it. More gas= more weight.:nono:

7) Always cool to have more HP, but I think it's obvious that the LSA.. or any GM engine, particularily the LS-Series is inexpensively easy to mod. 600HP+??? U got $1500 and U got the power:cool:

Try that in an M5.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts