Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6L Thunder Grey
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the car back after it had gone in the shop in response to Oil Consumption Bulletin #2171797. I was using 1qt every 1000 miles. They were going to replaced valves seals and or piston rings and or rods.

I told them that, while they were in there, they should check the timing chain for excessive wear. Turns out it was junk, along with the tensioner. They replaced it, along with the piston rings and valve seals on all 6 cylinders.

Car drives better than it ever has. A lot quicker and smoother!

I still cant believe that an 07 with 40,000 miles on it needed this kind of work, but now that its done Im loving the CTS.

·
Registered
'04 CTS
129 Posts
The question on everyone's mind is, of course... how much? Or did they cover the timing chain and tensioner under the service bulletin?

·
Registered
07 CTS 3.6L Wheel Performance
180 Posts
I'm in the same boat wondering about that. I bought the car second hand at 80,000kms and the dealer brushes me off without actually inspecting it. I'm assuming that I'd only be covered if there was an actual recall on them.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Total Cost out the door: $0
They provided me with a 2010 CTS as a rental. Total cost for that: $0

A lot of people think there is no point in buying a 2007 CTS over a 2004-2006, but that warranty makes all the difference. Saved me about $1500 at least when you figure in rental cost for 4 days.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm in the same boat wondering about that. I bought the car second hand at 80,000kms and the dealer brushes me off without actually inspecting it. I'm assuming that I'd only be covered if there was an actual recall on them.
The service bulletin does not guarentee anything.. its not the same as a recall, its a way of informing the techs of a potential problem, and telling the the possible fixes.

If you are consuming oil, and you are under warranty still (5 yrs 100,000 miles) then they need to perform an oil consumption test. Do not take no for an answer. You can read my other thread for details, but basically they monitor you oil level. You have to go in for check ups every 1000 miles, where they check your oil level and fill if necessary, logging all of the history.

Once thats done (after 3 1000 mile increments) they make the decision if you are burning too much oil. if you are, this is the fix. if they still give you shit, find another dealer. MAKE SURE that you are going to a CADDY-SPECIFIC DEALER... I cant stress this enough. I was going thru a chevy dealer and it took them 4 months and still didnt diagnose the problem. Talked to the Caddy dealer on the phone, and after 5 minutes I had an appointment scheduled for the job.

·
Registered
CTS 3.6L 2005 80,000 Miles
983 Posts
The service bulletin does not guarentee anything.. its not the same as a recall, its a way of informing the techs of a potential problem, and telling the the possible fixes.

If you are consuming oil, and you are under warranty still (5 yrs 100,000 miles) then they need to perform an oil consumption test. Do not take no for an answer. You can read my other thread for details, but basically they monitor you oil level. You have to go in for check ups every 1000 miles, where they check your oil level and fill if necessary, logging all of the history.

Once thats done (after 3 1000 mile increments) they make the decision if you are burning too much oil. if you are, this is the fix. if they still give you shit, find another dealer. MAKE SURE that you are going to a CADDY-SPECIFIC DEALER... I cant stress this enough. I was going thru a chevy dealer and it took them 4 months and still didnt diagnose the problem. Talked to the Caddy dealer on the phone, and after 5 minutes I had an appointment scheduled for the job.

dude you found the golden fleece of dealers .... would have been a pipe dream for most other people. Nice thing now is your looking pretty much at a new engine. I'm guessing teh checked the main bearings and all that jazz too. For the record who was yoru dealer ?

·
Registered
'07 CTS black on black 3.6 FE5 'Nadine'
163 Posts
Soooo, if I'm using a quart every 3,000 mi ?
Should I be thinking about an oil consumption test ??
Does the Dealer charge for this ?

Fish

·
Registered
07 CTS 3.6L Wheel Performance
180 Posts
Does the warranty stay with the car? I'm at 85,000km(metric) and was essentially told "welp, sorry." I thought that I was completely SOL being the second owner and my Nationwide Warranty that I piled $4500 on the price of the car for hasn't covered me for a thing thus far. I burn a fair bit of oil, but I was more concerned about my timing chain going and taking my wallet with it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ABSOLUTLEY NOT are you SOL... the warranty is 100% transferable. I am the second owner of my CTS as well. If the dealership is telling you that, tell them that you are going to speak with GM, and that you want it documented that you came in. They have no right to refuse service to you. Is the dealership thats telling you this a Caddy dealership? Why did you have to buy an additional warranty? the 07 CTS has a 100,000 mile, 5 year powertrain and a 50,000 mile, 4 year bumper to bumper.

My dealership is Holman Cadillac in Mt. Laurel NJ... theyve been awesome so far.

If you are using 1 qt every 3000 miles, consider yourself lucky. Thats lower than normal consumption. Normal consumption is 1 qt every 2000 miles according to GM (for this engine, and some others)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess I don't get your jokes, so haha? Just tryin to help answer his question and make sure he doesn't get ****ed over.

Although if someone like u wasn't spouting off, it wouldn't be an online forum, would it.

·
Registered
2006 CTS 3.6L
57 Posts
ABSOLUTLEY NOT are you SOL... the warranty is 100% transferable. I am the second owner of my CTS as well. If the dealership is telling you that, tell them that you are going to speak with GM, and that you want it documented that you came in. They have no right to refuse service to you. Is the dealership thats telling you this a Caddy dealership? Why did you have to buy an additional warranty? the 07 CTS has a 100,000 mile, 5 year powertrain and a 50,000 mile, 4 year bumper to bumper.

My dealership is Holman Cadillac in Mt. Laurel NJ... theyve been awesome so far.

If you are using 1 qt every 3000 miles, consider yourself lucky. Thats lower than normal consumption. Normal consumption is 1 qt every 2000 miles according to GM (for this engine, and some others)
so if i understand all correctly, that warranty started with 2007 models? is that also true of 2008+? good info; thanks!

·
Registered
Was 2005 CTS Sport - Dark Metallic Grey
195 Posts
Does the warranty stay with the car? I'm at 85,000km(metric) and was essentially told "welp, sorry." I thought that I was completely SOL being the second owner and my Nationwide Warranty that I piled $4500 on the price of the car for hasn't covered me for a thing thus far. I burn a fair bit of oil, but I was more concerned about my timing chain going and taking my wallet with it.
Jeremy, I was the second owner of my car and I had repairs under the warranty, so yours should be transferable. Go somewhere else if the dealer says no.

·
Registered
2012 CTS Coupe, 2007 Escalade ESV, 2004 CTS Sedan
9 Posts
I need to do the same thing to my cts, can you tell me how much it cost you and where you had it done? Dave in Cali

1 - 16 of 16 Posts