Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back yesterday from a little 3000 mile road trip from Fort Worth TX to Charleston South Carolina and back.

Very happy to report that the DtS ran flawlessly with no problems. :cloud9:
Average speed from TX to S. Carolina was 86.6 even with pit stops every couple of hours.
Several stretches were in the triple digit range.
I was kind of in a little bit of a hurry. :)
Average speed on the way back was only 70.4.

We drove most of the way back in tandem with my brother-in-law and his wife.
He has a 2008 Hyundai Sonata. It is a fairly nice car...but it ain't no Cadillac.
We just took our time and just piddled around on the way back.
We gassed up in Charleston before we started back, and then we would gas up at the same time when we got down to about 1/4 tank as we stopped for whatever reason.

I thought it was kinda funny that when we gassed up...the DTS "NEVER" took more than 1.2 gallons more than his much smaller, V6 Hyundai.
On one tank thru the Appalachian Mountains and thru the Smoky Mountains, the Cadillac only used .6 gallons more than the Hyundai.
For that tiny saving in gas...I will keep my big ol' comfortable Cadillac. :)

Friday, on the way back, coming thru Tennessee, we were in some TERRIBLE thunderstorms..
Thunder, lightning, small hail, high winds. You couldn't see but just a couple of car lengths past the hood, but there was no safe place to pull off the road and stop for a while.

A little bit later, when the storm had let up a little, I found a local radio station and found out that at about the same time we were in the worst of the storm...a tornado hit about 20 miles south of where we were. The tornado was at Murfreeboro TN. Thats too close for comfort.

Well...there was one issue with the car that was kinda puzzling.
Two different times, when driving in VERY HEAVY rain, I got a message to service the tire pressure monitoring system. Upon checking the pressures, the left front tire pressure was not displaying any pressure on the Information Center. The other three were displaying correctly.
A little while later, after we got out of the rain...I checked them again, and all pressures were indicating normal.

Probably no point in taking it to the dealer now...it is not displaying any codes now.

Saturday morning, we and brother-in-law split up.
They were wanting to go straight home, and Darling Wife and I wanted to stay out an extra day.
I should have went straight home. :)
Got busted by a local cop down in Mississippi for speeding.
I was only going about 62 in a 55. He said I was doing 70 in a 55. He did not stop the pickup that was right in front of me. :hmm:

In the short conversation I had with the cop...he basically said that he looked for out of state cars because they would just pay the fine and not contest the ticket in court.
Another statement he made was that he basically stopped me because I had a Radar Detector.
Then he flat out STATED...that "ANY CAR" he sees that has a Radar Detector...he will give a ticket to because he believes that if you have a radar detector...you have been speeding at one time or another and got away with it because of the radar detector.

Oh well...on the side of the road in Boondocks MS was not the time or place to argue with him. :)

Thats a quick summary of the trip.
Any questions ...ask away.

Texas Jim

·
Registered
91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)
4,396 Posts
Glad the car ran well and the trip was good. Well, except for the ticket.

·
Registered
2006 DTS Black Raven
162 Posts
No questions but I assume you were on I-40, that's a nasty stretch of highway. I took my 98 Deville from Florida to Cali and then got stationed in VA. Took my 01 Deville to Louisiana and Oklahoma. Now I'm leaving next week to Georgia then to Louisiana and then to Oklahoma and then going back the same way to Ga then back to Va with my 06. So far she's only been to Atlanta. Cadillac is made for the road. Did you get any souvenirs?

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad the car ran well and the trip was good. Well, except for the ticket.

Thanks.
The thing that ticked me off was, he said that the reason I got the ticket was because I had the radar detector, nit because I was speeding a little. He wrote the ticket for 70 in a 55 but I was only going barely 60.

Then he started to lecture/preach about the how evil the detectors were and that the companies that make them should be put out of business..etc ..etc.

I finally got tired of listening to him...turned my back to him and held my hand out for the ticket. He slapped it into my hand and I left.
FULL THROTTLE.. but only till I got to 55. :cool2:

Texas Jim

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No questions but I assume you were on I-40, that's a nasty stretch of highway. I took my 98 Deville from Florida to Cali and then got stationed in VA. Took my 01 Deville to Louisiana and Oklahoma. Now I'm leaving next week to Georgia then to Louisiana and then to Oklahoma and then going back the same way to Ga then back to Va with my 06. So far she's only been to Atlanta. Cadillac is made for the road. Did you get any souvenirs?

I went TO S. Carolina on I-20..thru Atlanta.
Then I came back on I-40 thru Tennessee.
I agree..Cadillacs are made for the road.

The only souvenir I got was a ticket in N. Mississippi. :tisk:

Texas Jim

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SuperJim,
Any issues with the 2009 Nav Update you'd like to share?

Actually, there have been no issues AT ALL with it.
It has several enhancements over the 2008 version.

You can turn on and off the right side of the screen where it shows the next exits coming up stay on FULL SCREEN nav without half of the screen being blocked by the next exit.

The pictorial representation of turns is now MUCH better.
On interstate turns, it shows you WHICH LANES you need to be in to stay on your route.

All in all...a worthy upgrade.

·
Registered
2006 DTS Black Raven
162 Posts
Whats up SuperJim. Well you were on the road testing yours out. My turn. Currently in Atlanta now driving from Dumfries, Va. Took longer than expected. We left after 4pm and hit traffic on 95S til we got past Fredericksburg. Hit Emporia and hit state trooper central and it got worse once we hit NC. There were 4-5 troopers in one spot and others had people pulled over left and right. Was crazy.

Anyways we stopped got some food and hit the road again. Fast forward. About 9 or 10pm hit a major traffic jam. Some 18 wheeler was burned to a crisp. Trailer and all. Traffic was backed up for miles. Got passed that and got gas in SC. My girl was in her Lancer so hers was keeping good gas mileage too. Finally made it to ATL at 3am. If it wasn't for the traffic jam and the law I could have made it quicker. I will get the mileage so far and post it later. Tomorrow morning we are taking my car to Louisiana. So if anybody on 20W, flick a light or something. No problems with my car except I need to check the right front light. Cut off a few times, but stayed on most of the way. Oh and I gotta reset the tire pressure monitor. That popped up 3/4 the way here.

Only bad thing was my niece spilled food in the back. Can't have a dirty Caddy. Keep you guys posted on the journey.

·
Registered
Cadillac
37 Posts
Hi guys,
am making my trip back to ct. From my winter home in sunny fl. In my '07 performance, but i don't think i'll be doing triple digits like texas jim mainly due to my co-driver, who keeps her eyes on the speed.
Southern--thanks for the tip on the mounties. Coming down in november they were all over the place on 95 south. 8 to 10 chase cars, thank god they all had someone stopped. It's a long trip so we appreciate the comfort of the caddy.
First day about 12 hours, second day about 8 and were home. Will report back on my road trip.
Aspin

·
Registered
2008 DTS LUX III - Gold Mist traded for 2004 Tbird
1,511 Posts
Thanks for coming down again this year. We appreciate it. Also thanks for telling us that you are on your way home. Now I can get a seat in my favorite restaurant........ ;)

·
Registered
'18 Escalade Platinum
925 Posts
Jim, its a good thing you made it through Dixon, TN. From what I've heard, tickets on 40 is how the town survives.\

One question for all you road-tripping guys--how do you handle the road noise?? I've spent all my time in stop-n-go city traffic, but even now the road noise from the tires is almost unbearable, from 20mph-40mph its a distraction that can be covered by increasing the radio, which the AudioPilot usually picks up on anyway, but from 40mph I can't trun the radio up loud enough or I'll suffer premature deafness. I traded out the stock Bridgestones for Michelins, but any noticeable reduction in noise lasted ~2000 miles. At this point, I can't imagine driving this car over 50-60mph. At least not without earplugs!

·
Registered
2006 DTS Black Raven
162 Posts
I just have the radio at a decent level but even without it its not that loud to me. I just get the wind noise mostly. I think its more on what tires you use. I use Continental tires on mine. Also I think it just depends on the road you're on cause we all know not every state has the same material on the road. Pretty evident just cruising from VA thru NC. I'm also moving at 80mph the majority of the ride.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jim, its a good thing you made it through Dixon, TN. From what I've heard, tickets on 40 is how the town survives.

One question for all you road-tripping guys--how do you handle the road noise?? I've spent all my time in stop-n-go city traffic, but even now the road noise from the tires is almost unbearable, from 20mph-40mph its a distraction that can be covered by increasing the radio, which the AudioPilot usually picks up on anyway, but from 40mph I can't trun the radio up loud enough or I'll suffer premature deafness. I traded out the stock Bridgestones for Michelins, but any noticeable reduction in noise lasted ~2000 miles. At this point, I can't imagine driving this car over 50-60mph. At least not without earplugs!

Maybe I got lucky that it was raining when I came thru there so I wasn't driving very fast. :thumbsup:

I have over 60,000 on mine now and it is really hard to get used to the noise.
About the tire noise...mine is BAD...it is a shame that the tires make so much noise and the noise is then transmitted into the car.
That is poor sound engineering design.

I am still running the Bridgestones. Had one replaced because it had a broke belt and bought one more new one so that the tires were matched on the axle. The only good thing about the Bridgestones is that they wear well. Two of mine are original with over 60,000 on them and still have a decent amount of tread.

I think that I will probably be changing to a set Yokohama tires before long. I have been reading up on them and researching what other kinds of tires are available.

I will let you know how the sound level is afterward.

There are so few choices in the 18 inch size...t doesn't leave you many options.

Texas Jim

F

·
0 Posts
Jim, its a good thing you made it through Dixon, TN. From what I've heard, tickets on 40 is how the town survives.

I still have the stock Bridgestone (2006 Performance) tires and have not had any noise problems, they are very quiet. I run them 4 pounds over recommended. I haven’t checked recently to see what is available for the DTS, but Michelins will be my first choice, they really stand behind their product. I have Michelins on my SUV (original and now a replacement set) and find that they are excellent tires. Although I do realize that you cannot compare SUV to sedan.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi Guys, well I have the pimpy Vogue tyres on my 09 DTS Platinum and it is pretty quite; I travel the I-5 Freeway around the Portland-Salem Oregon metro area and our roads are not that good. Occasional road noise comes through but shouldn't trouble me. I run 33psi warm front and rear, and these are the 17". I imagine the Performance 18" would be more noisy.

My last car was an '03 Town Car and that car was quite, I think quiter than the Caddy. a few years ago I replaced the stock Michelins and did my google research and found that the Goodyear Assurance tires had promsie to be the quitest on the market. It was, I was very impressed and they made a noticable diferrence on an already quite car. These tires also provided a very smooth ride. I needed new ones, but then bought the DTS instead :)

Can't say that I will put the Goodyears on the new Caddy because I really do like the visual appeal from the Vogues on my DTS. But, I do not expect to get long mileage, top-level traction, or best quiteness from the Vogues though.

cheers, Randy

·
Registered
2008 DTS LUX III - Gold Mist traded for 2004 Tbird
1,511 Posts
I'm going with the Goodyear Assurance Comfort Treads when it is time. Of course, that should be in about 40,000 miles which might nor happen until 2013 or 14. Lol!
Unfortunately they don't come in a 245/50-18........ But they are really designed for cars like the standard DTS ......or the Town Car....etc.

·
Registered
'18 Escalade Platinum
925 Posts
I have Michelin Pilot HX MXM4. With the 18" wheels being so wide, the choice in tires is extremely limited and those available are biased for ultimate performance/handling at the expense of ride and comfort. These are typical Michelins in that they provide an extremely smooth ride in all situations, and so far I've not experienced any of the problems I had with the Bridgestones--flat spotting, hydroplaning, vibrations, ROAD NOISE/ROAR, chirping, pinging, the list goes on.

I had the opportunity to drive on fresh pavement today and it was like pushing the mute button. I was travelling 80mph on a breezy afternoon, and my car was as quiet as a closed library. I had always assumed there was some wind and other road noises, but after today, I immediately realized all the noise I'm hearing is road noise from the tires. I've always run Michelins, except for my '06 which had Continentals, and I've never experienced the road noise with them, at least not to this degree.

The brightside is I only have the car for another year, and I'm not one for road trips. At this point, if I were to take a road trip, I'd seriously consider the purchase of a BOSE noise cancelling headset because with my leadfoot I'd experience some minor hearing loss from the cacophony of road noise.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm going with the Goodyear Assurance Comfort Treads when it is time.

Unfortunately they don't come in a 245/50-18........ But they are really designed for cars like the standard DTS ......or the Town Car....etc.

I wish they DID make them to fit my car.
I have read a lot of good things about them.

Texas Jim

·
Registered
'18 Escalade Platinum
925 Posts
I wish they DID make them to fit my car.
I have read a lot of good things about them.

Texas Jim

Same here. These are one of the few Goodyear tires I've only heard good things about, usually its the opposite. I also heard the same about Bridgestone Serenitys, but again they aren't available in our size.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Same here. These are one of the few Goodyear tires I've only heard good things about, usually its the opposite. I also heard the same about Bridgestone Serenitys, but again they aren't available in our size.

Very true...darn it.

Jim

1 - 20 of 20 Posts