Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS Sedan 3.6L DI
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, folks.

I'm new to the world of Cadillacs, and just got myself an '08 Cadillac CTS Sedan (Luxury package, etc.), and while I'm not in the worst part of town, I'm certainly not in the best. Living at an apartment complex, I've seen some weird people walk around before, and there's been the occasional car break-in/vandalism. For the record, NO ONE else in this complex has a Cadillac, while there are a few newer cars. I'm probably worrying myself, but I can't fall asleep because I'm worried it might not be there in the morning.

Do any of you CTS owners live in apartments, and have you had any "interesting" events happen as a result?

·
Banned
CTS
51 Posts
Yea.. right here in temecula... People hate.... so watch urself.. I got my car scratched and my eyelid peeled! But i saw a ISF in the parkinglot so i think im safe

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe
584 Posts
I own a home and live in Leave-it-to-beaverville so I can't comment on living in an apartment complex with a nice car. We are not immune from kids checking for unlocked cars and rummaging for CDs, GPS units, etc. Don't leave anything in plain view and lock you doors. I wouldn't set the door lock to beep the horn - that would get old if I lived in a unit near where you always park. Park under a light in a visible location and you should be ok. Be friendly and don't create any enemies.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car has an alarm, but it only goes off if someone opens the door successfully after being locked - i.e. breaks in.

Worse news, I got keyed sometime over the last few days. Went to the car wash, found it. I hate this apartment complex, can't wait to move!

·
Registered
Formerly owned: 1992, 93, 94, 99, 02, 06, 08, 11.
337 Posts
I am so sorry to hear this. You must feel sick. Your neighbors obviously are jealous and immature. If it were me, I would wait until I moved to get the scratch repaired; otherwise, it will probably happen again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
It only got the clearcoat, not the paint. Either it happened again last night or there was more damage I didn't notice. I'm going to consult an attorney to find out how aggressive I can be if I apprehend those responsible.

EDIT: It appears that I may have the right to citizen's arrest as long as I catch them in the act. Further, if the damage is severe enough, they can be charged with a felony. Naturally, there is a danger in performing a CA, largely that the person performing the arrest has no idea what the person could be carrying, and worse, if you injure them in any way, you run the risk of being sued. Regardless, I'm losing sleep tonight to keep watch in case of anything, and moving out of here as soon as possible.

·
Registered
Formerly owned: 1992, 93, 94, 99, 02, 06, 08, 11.
337 Posts
There is nothing worth risking your safety -- not even a new car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had an altercation overnight. Some high school punk walking around way past curfew. He didn't think anyone was watching, perhaps, but I walked out to the car and he runs off. No damage. It's become quite a disruption of a car in the area, though. People are talking and pointing at my apartment. Half compliments, half jealousy. All I know is if I want to hold on to this car, I've got to move. It has certainly made me lose faith in humanity.

·
Registered
09 CTS DI FE3
416 Posts
Wow, sounds like you live near some serious low lifes. I never understood why someone would damage another persons property because they're jealous over it. Get over it and do something about your own life if you want the same thing. Good luck and hope you find a better place to live.

·
Registered
2008 CTS4
281 Posts
#1 It sucks, but that's why you have insurance. Also, wouldn't hurt to have 'before' photos in case something did happen.
#2 The scratch you found might have been there when you bought it and the right light made you notice it. It will probably buff out.
#3 Didn't you see any of this coming? No offense, but I would have held off on the car if I knew seedy characters lurked where I live.
#4 Sounds like you should move regardless...for your safety as well as the car's. Move somewhere with a better class of people and maybe a garage. There's a lot of rental properties in this bad housing market for nearly the same price as an apartment.
#5 Some people suck no matter where you live.
#6 Not everyone that checks out your car plans on stealing or damaging it. It's a nice car...some just want to look.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS Direct Injection
6 Posts
Yikes! Read through this and I'm thankful my house has a nice secured garage. Just my personal opinion, but I never really would invest much money in a car until I had my homestead taken care of first.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts