Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
'12 White Diamond CTS-V Sedan, '10 Cyber Gray ZR1
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At least for now, my dad is loaning it to me indefinitely and he may sell it to me for cheap down the road.

Anyway, it's a '92 with 121k miles. I believe the air conditioner has been fixed and the water pump fixed both with lifetime warranties. It's had a tune-up recently and seems to run good and the tranny shifts well. Here are my two newbie questions:

1. Trunk lid doesn't do the power latch down, I believe someone slammed it a while back a few times and the motor is shot. Any leads on a cheap place to pick up a latch motor replacement?

2. Presuming normal/average maintenance and pretty easy life overall, what is the expected longevity of this vehicle particularly the motor and tranny? Could I expect 150k miles, 200k miles??

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,783 Posts
You should get an easy 200K out of it with proper maintanence.

·
Registered
'87 SDV
1,296 Posts
Ranger said:
You should get an easy 200K out of it with proper maintanence.
Agreed. The 4.9 is one of Cadillac's most reliable engines. Change your coolant every one or two years, use the sealer tabs, regular oil changes.

The trunk motor should be interchangeable with any C-body Cadillac (1985-1992).
Pull it Yourself junkyards will sell them cheap.

IMHO, if your trunk latches, leave it. That has to be one of the most useless luxury options ever.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
noahsdad said:
IMHO, if your trunk latches, leave it. That has to be one of the most useless luxury options ever.
The trunk latches, but it's sticking up an inch or so. Is there anyway to adjust the latch to have it close flush?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,783 Posts
It might just be a bad switch. Easy fix. I pulled one apart on my '92 and replaced the brushes. Worked fine after that. Remove it, take it apart and you'll likely find what is wrong with it. Just watch how things come apart. It is relatively simple. If not, I think I remember that you'll be able to manually screw down the latch , leave it unplugged and close it manually.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, Ranger. I'll let you know how it goes after this Christmas weekend!

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
If you just want it to close all the way you can take the hook part off and twist it down by hand. Theres a lot of posts around here about the trunk pull down motor.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
brougham said:
If you just want it to close all the way you can take the hook part off and twist it down by hand. Theres a lot of posts around here about the trunk pull down motor.
Awesome, I'll try to figure that out. I really don't care about the motor, I'd just like for it to close all the way down flush the rest of the trunk area. As it sits now, it's about an inch up because it would normally be pulled the rest of the way down by the motor. I'd just like for it to close all the way without the motor.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Ohhh Cool, I have a '92 SDV with 114k miles, what color is yours? What is the interior like? What options does it have? Do you have any pics?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's the red color with the silver two-tone on the lower portion. It has gray leather interior and the related goodies. It's a smooth riding machine. No pics yet, but I'll take some after I get her cleaned up a little bit.

I have no doubt that it's not the cleanest '92 Deville out there as it's been in an accident and the front passenger fender has a bit of damage, but she's very mechanically sound, which is what I was looking for primarily!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts