Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/rkdbZ#0

Got it for $2150, but put $40 in gas immediately, so I like to think $2190. Sadly, it appears the owner was a smoker ): There are some small burns randomly on the non leather parts. Doesn't seem to smell and the windows don't seem yellow (my other car was owned by a smoker and my god...).

Questions below text.

Very little rust. There's some bubbling on the front of the hood, but no rust showing yet. Some visible rust on the inside of the passenger door, only visible when open from the inside. Other than that, none really.

The heated seats don't seem to work in the front or back. I think the driver side works barely. Just tried them all a few mins ago and it felt warm. The rest didn't. Read it was decently cheap to get fixed if I want.

The rubber cable that prevents the gas cap from dropping is snapped.

Need new tires.

Need an oil change.

Need to replace the front dash speakers. They're crackling. The rest seem fine.

The gas gauge went wonky on the way home. After putting gas in it, it seemed to be fine. I read that someone's Seville did that, but only at less than half a tank. So not sure on the cause yet.

Drives really well. My first V8 and it has some gitty up to it.

Questions

1) I read it's expensive to replace the sound, but I don't do that, so IDC. However, my question is if anyone knows where I can get replacement speakers for the dash. Like Bose ones.

2) 5w30 or 10w30 oil?

3) Should I change the coolant? I know it's important to use DEXCOOL as well.

Any other thoughts? Maybe what tires to get? Nothing too ridiculous.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,423 Posts
Re: Just got a 2001 Cadillac Seville STS. Have pictures and questions!

Read the oil fill cap and the owner's manual. 5W-30 year 'round. Have a GM dealer do a coolant exchange - might as well go for the whole fluids special, about $430 - coolant, brake fluid, p/s fluid and transmission fluid (the new DEXRON-VI synthetic). Use an 87 octane Top Tier (Google it) gasoline, top off with 93 on your way to the drag strip. (Seriously.......)

Read all the sticky posts at the top of this forum page as well as in Northstar Performance. Read through threads of interest in Discussions, Cadillac Tech Tips. Study the entire Cadillac Technical Archive way up ^^^ in the top black bar.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,257 Posts

learn how to check for Diagnostic Trouble Codes -

go here and read the ENTIRE post -

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-deville-1985-2005-including-1985/138257-how-pull-codes-dtcs.html

if you have any codes - post them here -
ALONG WITH THEIR DEFINITIONS -

-----------------

read the Owners manual - cover to cover - at least TWICE -

------------------

remove the cabin air filter - do a search for it -
there is a small trap door near the gas pedal -
it is a 3-piece filter - and a real pain in the a$$ to get out -
most of us did NOT put a new filter back in -

if it's still the original - it's probably nasty -
especially with a smoker -

take a look through the TechTips forum -
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-tech-tips/

also check out the NorthstarPerformance forum
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/

if you are planning on doing any of your own maintenance -
you will NEED the Factory Service Manual -
the '01 is a two volume set - and YES - you need both volumes -
the best place to find one is on ebay -
DO NOT waste any money on a chiltons - haynes - motors - etc manuals -

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts

1) I read it's expensive to replace the sound, but I don't do that, so IDC. However, my question is if anyone knows where I can get replacement speakers for the dash. Like Bose ones.
You might want to leave well enough alone. I'm not sure if you can just swap speakers easily.

2) 5w30 or 10w30 oil?
Either one. I still use 10W30.

3) Should I change the coolant? I know it's important to use DEXCOOL as well.
Definitely and then change it every 2-3 years.

Any other thoughts? Maybe what tires to get? Nothing too ridiculous.
Do a search for tires. There have been several tire questions like this before.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

You might want to leave well enough alone. I'm not sure if you can just swap speakers easily.

Either one. I still use 10W30.

Definitely and then change it every 2-3 years.

Do a search for tires. There have been several tire questions like this before.
Is it costly to just replace the speakers with stock speakers? That's what I want to do. Right now I only have rear speakers on, because the front crackle.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts

:noidea: Never messed with them.

·
Registered
2001 Sebring Silver STS
96 Posts

Both of my fronts crackle too lol. You could replace just speakers but you need to know the ohm rating of the factory speakers. Otherwise your speakers will be very loud or quiet if they're not the proper ohm for the Bose amp.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hm.. Thanks.

Both of my fronts crackle too lol. You could replace just speakers but you need to know the ohm rating of the factory speakers. Otherwise your speakers will be very loud or quiet if they're not the proper ohm for the Bose amp.
Do you know where I can get stock replacements? That's what I want.

I have a new question.

Twice after leaving work and once this morning, the car would not start. When I turn the key to turn it on, only the radio comes on. No other noise. Then after trying it a few times, the car turns on. It's not consistent. It won't do this every time. In fact, it hadn't since three days ago. It did not do it after leaving work today, but like I said, it did this morning at 3am.

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,478 Posts
pLuhhmm said:
Do you know where I can get stock replacements? That's what I want.
If you need the front DOOR speakers I have a set ready to go, packaged and everything. A member here blew me off when he said he'd buy them, $60+UPS shipping, which IIRC was about $20.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you need the front DOOR speakers I have a set ready to go, packaged and everything. A member here blew me off when he said he'd buy them, $60+UPS shipping, which IIRC was about $20.
I can't remember if the door speakers work or not, but if they don't I'll let you know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts