Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago, I bought an 04 ext, white with beige interior. Has everything including brand new paint job, and interior is like new. The craigslist ad said immaculate condition with 111k original miles. I asked the guy how long they owned it, and he said two years. I paid for the truck, and when I got the title, it said mileage exempt. I did a quick search of that term in florida, and it can be designated for a car over 10 years old, so maybe its legit, but I am skeptical. I then find a registration from the original owner who had just reregistered it less then three months ago. Since his address is on it, I sent him a letter asking him to contact me about the truck.

He called this morning and advised me he sold it to the guy I bought it from less then a month ago, and it had 213k on it. He also told that guy the a/c was broke, and it had an oil leak.

Any body have any experience with something like this? And what was the outcome?

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac Escalade
1,177 Posts
I would contact him and make him buy it back or you will take him to court and have the old guy sign something that states he sold the truck with 213k

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac Escalade
1,177 Posts
Legal Recourse

If you suspect that the odometer has been rolled back on a vehicle offered for sale, contact your local law enforcement agency or the Division of Motorist Services. If you suspect odometer fraud has occurred with a vehicle you have already purchased, the Division of Motorist Services can assist you in obtaining a Florida title history record of the vehicle.

Protection for Consumers; Punishment for Violators

Knowingly and willingly violating the Odometer Fraud Law is a crime. In addition to paying damages to the injured consumer, the violator may also be sued by the U.S. Department of Transportation. The civil penalty for odometer fraud is $2,000 per violation. The law also provides for criminal prosecution for odometer fraud.

The Motor Vehicle Information and Cost Savings Act, 15 U.S.C. 1981-1991, allows the victim of odometer fraud to file a private lawsuit to recover damages incurred. Successful suits can collect three times your damages or $1,500, whichever is greater. You may also refer to your legal rights covered under Florida's Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act, Chapter 501, Part II, Florida Statutes.

For Additional Information, Contact:

Department of Highway Safety & Motor Vehicles Division of Motorist Services
2900 Apalachee Parkway, MS#64 Tallahassee, Florida 32399-0500
Phone Number: (850) 617-3171

·
Registered
08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
1,852 Posts
Hopefully theres some kinda record from a state inspection or something, hear say probably wont make it that far

·
Registered
1999 Eldorado ETC coupe.
438 Posts
You have the beginning of a good trial. Move quickly on this before the previous owner ducks out of sight.

·
Registered
Cadillac
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The previous owner works at a chevy dealer in the body shop. That is why this truck looks so good. He repainted it before he sold it. But yes, I will move fast. Next week would be easier because the kids are home this week for spring break.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
I wouldn't wait as the longer you wait the easier it will be for him to cover his tracks
Tampering with the odometer is a federal offense and he knows that(hence why he didn't tell you about it)

·
Registered
None at the moment
623 Posts
I would think depending on the state thats fraud / mega illegal. I know in Canada that stuff does not go down well at all.

A few notes (from someone has been in the "you should get money back", your likely loose the truck (or at least be worthless as you cant sell it), i would make someone liable on your side, this means:

"Hi mr Police, look my truck mileage was rolled back by xxxxx, i have proof"
status : Police : "thanks for telling us, now your truck is worthless and its illegal for you to sell, you did a good job loosing all that money, now we will do the minimal we need to never get this guy while you loose everything, ooo unless YOU want to pay $100'000 to sue him and maybe get some money back, that would be great, either way your be the one out of pocket not us"

Technically speaking is "buyer beware", you have liability at this point, no one else, this is one reason i do the carfax type things, theres an insurance with those that cover you to get your money back for this kinda of thing so at least you dont loose the money you paid for the truck.

Be VERY careful with this sort of thing, its the same as handing money over to the bank thats forged, you WILL Loose the money and you wont get it back unless they find AND get the money out of the guy who did it, your actually better handing the money off as you will be in pocket.

Just saying as ive seen this way to many times, remember you are out of pocket, so unless theres a way of getting your money back i personally would just sell the truck and claim ignorance (your not liable unless you make yourself).

However it is your life and YOUR MONEY, make the decision you are happy with...

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac Escalade
1,177 Posts
So true sfx. Also the bank took my new $50 bill they said it was fake which is weird and deffinitely untrue, they said during tax season I could claim it

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
I also agree with sfx as I checked the carfax on mine before i got it
Then had the record pulled up at my local gm dealer(same info as carfax)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts