Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time reader, used to post by haven't been able to in a while because I couldn't remember which email I used but I need some info from experts now....

Got a bad miss, comes up #3 and no others with my AE.

Swapped, one-at-a-time, Coil - Plug - Injector to #1 and the miss didn't follow. Took a compression test in #3 got 60psi running - #1 was 120.

Engine's got only 80K on it. So,,, I guess I could throw oil down the cyl but rings seem unlikely at my mileage. I was wondering if there might be anything to learn by pulling the Valve Cover and looking at the valve train there (looks like the pass side would be a pain to get off). How likely am I to find a valve problem causing this? I mean, if it IS a ring/cly problem it's not like I'm going to fix it or anything, she's junk...

I've loved this car, it's AWD 1SG HUD + ACC, I'd miss her

·
Registered
2008 STS Northstar RWD, 2000 Trans Am WS6 6 spd, 1968 LeMans convertible 6.6
97 Posts
It could be possible that there is a valve spring issue. What is the compression when the car cranks but doesn't start? (Disable the fuel system somehow, maybe pull a fuse for the fuel pump or pull the relay) this usually more reliable then an engine running compression check. Usually the running compression is much less than a cranking compression, 60 psi can be normal. How about wiring problems to the coil, or injector, for #3 cylinder. Does the coil spark the plug in #3? Do you have a noid injector tester? This is a small test unit that plugs into the injector harness, simulating an injector. It will flash if the injector is getting the pulse from the PCM.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea,,, that's what I was hoping for :)

A different thought process, different perspective...

So first, I really like the idea of pulling the #3 coil, and running the engine with a grounded plug in it to confirm that I actually have Spark there. I don't have a NOID tester (I look at them to be on sale at HF everytime I go, maybe this will be the motivation I need to just pony-up ;))

And next, yea, maybe 60 isn't as scary as I first felt it was if that cyl has been running with unburnt fuel in it for some time, walls are washed clean (I'm gonna try a bit of oil). I know running is often lower but, Geeze, I was taken-back by 60...

Frankly I was a bit intimidated in trying a No Start test as MY CLOCK STILL WORKS and I'm afraid I might power-down something that would screw it up (if this was my truck, I know to just pull the IDM relay). I'll figure something out and retest.

Thank You for your thoughts, I'm gonna have a new approach tomorrow!

·
Registered
Cadillac XT5 (2017)
2,255 Posts
Probably the most definitive test to run (or take someplace to have run) would be a leak down test. 60, in my opinion is too low (at any case).

·
-Administrator-
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
66,868 Posts
60 psi, cranking or running, is bad problem low. Even 100, cranking, is low.

Service manual specification, warm cranking, is 140 psi.

Capture.PNG

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Today's Results...

I too just couldn't help feeling that any 10:1 engine having such low compression was a serious issue. I was somewhat buoyed when I went to the other bank (because I was taking these measurements from only 1 & 3, two side-by-side cylinders) and found a running compression in #2 of just under 100psi. I have Not noticed any recent loss of power until the MIL came on and could feel the miss.

BUT,,,,, here's what I found this morning;

Cyl Dry Wet Running
#1 - 80 - 80 - 120
#3 - 65 - 70 - 60
#2 - 140 - 155 - 98

All 3 plugs were out during the test except the Running (I assume the reason #1 was so much Higher running).

So I have to conclude this is a Head Gasket leak between 1 & 3 maybe?

Other thoughts?

(btw - Great Spark coming from #3's coil ;) )

·
Registered
97 Posts
Cylinder 1 results seem off, like should be 120 - 80- 80. Anyway, does indeed look like a compression issue, and maybe a head gasket yes. You should take it somewhere for a leakdown test, and advise them to always have a (charged) jump pack on the battery or a battery charger connected, if they need to have the ignition on and engine off for any time over like 5-10 minutes. Tell them about the clock issue if the battery gets disconnected or drained.

Glad you confirmed spark output on #3.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cyl #1 readings are accurate and, to me, says that Cyl #3 is contributing 40lbs of compression when it's spark plug is installed. With the plug out, #1 is bleeding pressure to the atmosphere because of a burned gasket.

I'm perfectly capable of doing a Leak Down test myself, just not sure what it would do for me. What else is there to confirm???

Engine's Toast :(

I've got a great parts-car in CT for anyone who's interested...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Time for the 5.3 junkyard swap with a small turbo lol.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmm....

No, I'm thinking either taking advantage of the CT6 situation (like maybe a '16/17) or making the move to a P90D Tesla of the same vintage.

I've unplugged #3 injector and will use it for a bit more while I look ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts