Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,822 Posts
I'm addicted to adrenaline. I've enjoyed fast cars and fast motorcycles. For a ride in the back seat of one of the Super Hornets, I'd give my left nut. Sub, I think a ride in submarine would be a rush, too, but I'm very claustrophobic so not sure how I'd respond inside one.

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,958 Posts
Wow, that is beautiful.
We are host to an Air National Guard base in Madison. Truax Field.
For many years we had the A10 Warthogs based there that did such a grand job tank-busting in Desert Storm.
About a decade ago they were re-tasked with F16s.
They are gorgeous to watch flying in the area. The sound of them going overhead is an awe inspiring event.
Being very hilly around Madison they take advantage of running through them low for practice.
Much to the dismay of dairy farmers who's herds stop giving milk!:lol:

http://postimage.org/

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Great picture, Dave! How very different Madison looks today than when I went to school there.

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,958 Posts
So true.
We moved here in 1971 and even being here and watching the changes as they happened, it is hard to believe.
To have been gone like you and come back again would really be a shock.
Should you ever get the chance, I would love to be your guide though!

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Sub, I think a ride in submarine would be a rush, too, but I'm very claustrophobic so not sure how I'd respond inside one.
BIG difference between my first boats - WW-II diesel boats - and the later and new nuclear ones. A nuclear submarine is a complete, independent enclosed city - except for food. 98% of the time you have no idea you're 100 or 1,000 feet down. During high speed (excess of 25 knots) maneuvers the sub banks into turns, nose up, nose down depth changes - just like aircraft except in a much denser, slower environment. A missile boat, dead stop, hovering at launch depth, is dead flat and quiet. When one of those 80,000 pound Polaris/early Poseidon birds leaves the tube the entire 8,500 ton boat flexes a few inches in the middle and the thump of the gas generator will wake the dead. (The missile motor does not light off until after the bird clears the surface - the bird is "shot" out of the tube by a huge slug of high pressure steam created by a small rocket motor firing through 100 gallons of distilled water) We can launch a bird every 32 seconds, if need be. The sound of the automatic depth control system (80,000 or more pounds is a LOT of instant weight change) is fearsome - with air, hydraulics, water, missile tube hatch closing all in their own orchestra.

I was the COB (Chief Of The Boat) in 3 of these monsters.... EDIT: But I retired in '82 - things have changed a LOT in 33 years !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i7jPDE9vAU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxB11eAl-YE

https://www.google.com/search?q=you+tube+missile+submarine+submerged+launch&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dirty water - human waste, galley cleaning water, shower drains - go to large holding tanks, get disinfected with chemicals, then the tank is pressurized and the liquid blown overboard. Just before the tank goes dry the overboard valves are shut and the air pressure vented inboard through large charcoal filters. Alongside a dock or tender the waste is pumped to the shoreside treatment facility.

Trash and garbage is hydraulically compacted into perforated biodegradable tubes, weighted with slag steel discs and sent overboard through a small "torpedo tube" that uses high volumes of pumped seawater to move the trash tubes out into the ocean where they sink and decompose.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts