Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Black Escalade EXT
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished moving my Mirror Tap power cord for my Radar Detector from my old Escalade into the new EXT and thought that I would put the wiring pics up on the forum. It is pretty simple. And now I don't have the exposed power cord running in the cab and tying up the Lighter outlet in the Ashtray. The 2 wires (Pos & Neg) on the mirror tap have needle ends on them that you push into the harness next to the wires in the harness. The Ignition Switch Positive is Pink & the Negative/Ground is Black. That way when I turn off the truck, the Radar Detector turns off as well.

[/

[URL=http://s114.photobucket.com/user/trulytex/media/2007%20Cadillac%20Escalde%20EXT/20150204_132659-picsay.jpg.html]

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have mine tapped in just like that on my new PASSPORT and I have the mirror mount and the power cord that I bought from Performance Package radar mounts. It looks like it came in my Escalade from the factory it's such a clean look. Check them out on the web and no I am not affiliated with them in any way, just a good product.

·
Registered
Cadillac Escalade ESV Platinum / Mercedes S63 AMG / Lexus LS430
146 Posts
I have mine tapped into the mirror, too. I have my Passport attached to the mirror with the blend mount. Looks great and is very secure. I've had the suction cups turn loose before.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Good point JHC828 & I also use a HEATSHIELD sun visor and it got to be a pain in the a$$ taking my radar detector down and putting it back up exactly where I had it and then the suction cups would fail and my detector would fall on my dash... So now with my mirror mount I don't have to mess with removing it at all. If you are interested in a good sun visor check out HEATSHIELD, they are custom cut to your specific year, truck/car etc. I have had one for years and they fit PERFECT! Google them and check them out and no I don't work there nor am I affiliated with them, it's just a great product!

·
Registered
1966 Mustang, 2007 Escalade EXT
93 Posts
I figure if you go the speed limit you will not need a radar detector, just my opinion. I live in Texas and most of the speed limits are high 70 to 85 on highways...

·
Registered
'16 VSport (wife's), '10 Escalade, '97 & '02 SS Camaro's, '15 Silverado LTZ
1,131 Posts
I figure if you go the speed limit you will not need a radar detector, just my opinion. I live in Texas and most of the speed limits are high 70 to 85 on highways...
True; but not every state has the freedom most Texans tend to take for granted and few states have limits higher than 65 mph. When traveling or on a daily commute it's easy to exceed the posted speed limit and a radar detector can prevent you from some of those few LE's or townships that will ticket you for as little as 2 mph over the posted speed limit, and with the right detector you can avoid red light cameras that are set up more as an income generator rather than promote safer roads. I am typically not a "speeder" but I do travel slightly above the posted speed if weather and traffic conditions permit when on the interstates and like depend on my RD as a little added insurance. I travel to and spend time in Texas often and like the higher speed limits, but speeds on some of the roads there could be lowered for safety reasons. I've stated before if I'd have grown up in Texas I'd probably had never gotten a speeding ticket whe I was in my teens and 20's. Enforcing 55-65 mph is ridiculous when your on an isolated stretch with little to no traffic and the local LE's are traveling the same road at approx. 10-15 mph over.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Very true 2kflhr, I live in Oklahoma so I know what you mean. Also just because you have a radar detector doesn't mean you drive like your on the Autobahn. I am by no means condoning speeding but I don't want to get a ticket for going 5 miles over the speed limit either.

·
Registered
'16 VSport (wife's), '10 Escalade, '97 & '02 SS Camaro's, '15 Silverado LTZ
1,131 Posts
Performance Package Radar Mounts are much more reasonably priced than the Blend Mount system. How does the quality of the mount appear?

·
Registered
Cadillac Escalade ESV Platinum / Mercedes S63 AMG / Lexus LS430
146 Posts
The blend mount is very nice. It's heavy and sturdy. I don't worry about my expensive radar detector coming loose.

·
Registered
2007 Black Escalade EXT
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have mine tapped into the mirror, too. I have my Passport attached to the mirror with the blend mount. Looks great and is very secure. I've had the suction cups turn loose before.
I ordered a Blendmount last weekend. It should be here any day.

·
Registered
2007 STS-V, 2007 Escalade, 2003 Escalade EXT, 2014 ELR
825 Posts
This is one of the few things I dislike about living in VA. Radar detectors are illegal here. :(

·
Registered
2007 Black Escalade EXT
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Texas is the Worst! (And I Love Texas)
Speed Limit
75 Day
65 Night
65 Day Trucks
55 Night Trucks

It's ridiculous. And yes, I lived there many years. Before the Speed Limits moved from 55. As a student in College Station, Young Professional in Houston, Limousine Service owner in Fort Worth. And Selma, TX - between Austin and San Antone - was the Worst Speed Trap Town EVER! I use my Radar Detector every day unless I am running around in town, and it has saved me 100X what I paid for it. And I'm no Speed Demon by any stretch of the imagination, but I like to know where they are.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Texas is the Worst! (And I Love Texas)
Speed Limit
75 Day
65 Night
65 Day Trucks
55 Night Trucks

It's ridiculous. And yes, I lived there many years. Before the Speed Limits moved from 55. As a student in College Station, Young Professional in Houston, Limousine Service owner in Fort Worth. And Selma, TX - between Austin and San Antone - was the Worst Speed Trap Town EVER! I use my Radar Detector every day unless I am running around in town, and it has saved me 100X what I paid for it. And I'm no Speed Demon by any stretch of the imagination, but I like to know where they are.
First, I'm not trying to knock radar detectors or the people that use them. Once upon a time I had one, my preference is not to use it and I have been known to speed while driving. I'm comfortable with the limits here in Texas, went to North Carolina felt like I was creeping in a vehicle made to cruise therefore I understand the use. The speed limits have changed here in Texas or at least where I've been, there is no day/night limit just one speed. There is no differentiation between trucks anymore, they go 75 like everyone else. When I'm on the toll road I set my cruise at 83, just 3 miles over the limit and the EXT does its thing. I've been known to get into triple digits, but at those speeds I feel the size of the vehicle and know it's time for me to slow down. JMO...

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
TAM79 said:
First, I'm not trying to knock radar detectors or the people that use them. Once upon a time I had one, my preference is not to use it and I have been known to speed while driving. I'm comfortable with the limits here in Texas, went to North Carolina felt like I was creeping in a vehicle made to cruise therefore I understand the use. The speed limits have changed here in Texas or at least where I've been, there is no day/night limit just one speed. There is no differentiation between trucks anymore, they go 75 like everyone else. When I'm on the toll road I set my cruise at 83, just 3 miles over the limit and the EXT does its thing. I've been known to get into triple digits, but at those speeds I feel the size of the vehicle and know it's time for me to slow down. JMO...
May I ask what radar detector it is that you used? I can understand if was a cobra and when it detects a radar it just beeps? But unless you don't mind getting a ticket or the hassle of getting pulled when you are responding to a medical emergency to each his own.

·
Registered
93 Posts
May I ask what radar detector it is that you used? I can understand if was a cobra and when it detects a radar it just beeps? But unless you don't mind getting a ticket or the hassle of getting pulled when you are responding to a medical emergency to each his own.

I don't have a radar detector and the last ticket I received was in July 2013. I just pay attention to my surroundings and I've found that 5 mph or less over the speed limit is good for me. I'm not saying I don't speed, I just drive to enjoy it and sometimes that warrant going much faster than the posted limits.

----------

I don't have a radar detector and the last ticket I received was in July 2013. I just pay attention to my surroundings and I've found that 5 mph or less over the speed limit is good for me. I'm not saying I don't speed, I just drive to enjoy it and sometimes that warrant going much faster than the posted limits.
I had a Cobra when I did use then, but that was many years ago (1980's and 1990's).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts