Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought my wife an escalade the other day. Original thread located here.

I made some notes for our dealer on things I noticed that may need to be fixed....and I just wanted to give a quick overview of the good and bad, and maybe get some quick questions answered from experienced Escalade owners.

First of all it's a black 2015i premium with power running boards and the Kona brown leather. We JUST bought it last week.

The good:
  • Looks (obviously). Best looking SUV on the road at any price, IMO.
  • Ride quality very smooth (under 80mph) without compromising handling too much.
  • Great acceleration for a huge SUV. I'm sure this thing is quicker than most sub $40k luxury sedans.
  • Took it through a lot of twisties (i70 between Utah and Denver), and handling is surprisingly nimble for a heavy SUV with 2 adults and 4 kids + luggage rack and carrier.
  • MPG - combined 17mpg on our entire trip of highway and city driving. I think our Yukon got 13-14mpg. I'm guessing it might get closer to 20 on highway only.
  • Beautiful interior. Fit and finish (superficially) is very nice. Leather is comfortable and seems very high quality.
  • Great sound system and Rear DVD player is higher quality (much improved over our '08 Yukon Denali).
  • HUD is great. First time I've ever used one. I can't believe my CLS550 does not have this (2014). I'm going to go buy an aftermarket one if possible. Such a safety and convenience feature. Anyone know of any good aftermarket ones?
  • Adaptive cruise seems very responsive and works without a hitch.

The bad: (I took some notes as I noticed them so I could remember when we see the dealer)
  • Glove box broken as soon as we got it (pressing the button does nothing). It pops open now and then, I think the latch just gets stuck. Not a big deal, but was quite annoying when we needed extra space on the long trip (Which we did with 2 adults, 4 kids, luggage, ipads, pillows, blankets, etc). Dealer said it needed to be calibrated, so we'll see.
  • I noticed that after driving it for a bit and coming to a stop light, the idle can *sometimes* be a little rough and shake the car. It's not a huge deal, and really I'm the only one that notices it....and the only reason I do is because I can't even tell my Mercedes is even on when it's stopped (V8 biturbo engine).
  • Any speed over 75-80mph and the car vibrates a little and feels like the wheels are slightly out of balance. I don't think that is the problem, but that's the closest I can get to describing the feeling. It did not do this when we test drove it, but then again we only got the car up to 65-70mph on the highway. It was smooth as butter. The interstate speed limits are 75, so I'd set the cruise to 80-83mph and the whole car would have a small but annoying vibration like the wheels were slightly out of balance. It wasn't a terrible vibration, but not the smooth ride I'm used to in my Mercedes or even our 7 year old Yukon Denali.
  • The overhead drivers side reading light does not work. The only way to get it to turn on is to set the slider to "door" (which turns on both lights), or to open the doors. But there's no way to make that light come on without turning the passenger reading light on. Small complaint but still annoying.
  • Backup camera visibility sucks. I didn't think it was that bad at first, but after comparing it to our '08 Yukon, it's horrendous. It's visible enough not to run into anything, but it looks like camera technology from over a decade ago.
  • I cannot get the front view parking camera on unless I engage the backup camera first, then put it into drive. Is there a reason it doesn't turn on while parking always? Our garage is tight, so it would be nice for it to engage whenever, say we're going under 3-5mph and there's objects detected ahead. That would be logical, no?
  • I have not confirmed this, but both my daughters kept complaining that their seat heaters (rear pilot seats) would randomly come on with nobody activating them. They also said the heater or AC was possessed and would randomly change or come off/on. I have not sat back there to confirm, but I did hear them complain about it 10-15 times on our 7-8 hour drive to Denver.
  • I have not seen this one either, but my wife has told me that occasionally a warning would come up on the dash saying "4wd Service" and the car would drive funny afterwards. She would turn the car off and back on, and all would be fine but she said it's happened a couple times. I'm guessing this is the 4wd activating at random intervals and not being turned off. We have it set to 4WD Auto, so maybe I'll set it to 2WD. We live in Utah, so it's kind of a bummer that we'd have to set it to 2WD, especially when our Yukon was AWD which was very nice.
  • While driving and coming down a steep mountain at 60mph+, the gear would seem to drop a level instead of coasting, making the RPM's spike and the car just being overall louder due to the increased engine speed. I don't know if this is a feature to slow the car down, but it's kind of annoying. The only way to get the transmission to shift to a higher gear is to tap on the gas pedal and the RPM's would go back down to where they should.
  • CUE system can sometimes hang and has some very weird functions that aren't logical. This may just be me needing to get used to how to use it though. I HATE the touch controls. I don't think touch screens belong in a vehicle due to the vibrations and always moving. Very often I would go to press something, only to hit a small bump and my finger hit something else and stop the whole movie playing for our 4 *TIRED* kids in the back. When increasing or decreasing the climate control temperature, you have to sit there and hold your finger while it SLOWLY counts up or down. Going from LO to HI temperature takes insanely long, while on my other cars you just twist a knob and go from 65F to 75F in a split second. Don't even get me started on the volume control. Driving at night, with the kids sleeping, and reaching over to turn the volume just slightly up or down, hitting a bump midway and blasting the whole car waking up all my kids happened more than once. I understand there are steering wheel buttons, but when you're not sitting in the driver's seat - you have to use the weird volume "slider." I may end up getting used to it, but as this is my wife's car - I probably won't drive it enough to get used to it. Oh well.
  • This is not necessarily a complain against the car, but for some reason the remote for the DVD player was missing. We called the dealer to get a new one ordered, so hopefully it gets here soon. Although it was SORELY missed on our long road trip.
Questions:
  • I don't really understand the 4WD Auto, 2WD, etc. The dealer recommended to keep it on 4WD Auto, but some say to keep it on 2WD unless we need it. And now that my wife is complaining about this "4WD Service" message she gets occasionally, it seems even more pressing to understand what is going. And why is it 4WD anyway? In what world do we need locking differentials in a luxury SUV? AWD was just fine. Unless I'm not understanding something correctly or the 4WD setting in this actually means AWD (some people use those terms interchangeably even though they are very different)?
  • Regarding the different display profiles / settings - is there a way to save profiles or (even better) have it change based on what seat setting profile is pressed. My wife loves the simple setting, and I want the performance setting. And we each like the profiles to have certain settings enabled within each profile. But every time she got into the vehicle after me driving it, she would need to spend 2-3 minutes getting it all back to the way she wanted it...and vice versa when I would drive it after she would. Hopefully that makes sense.
  • Dumb question, but where is the setting to turn the volume down on those navigation warnings? For example, while driving at night (all the kids sleeping), we'd get this LOUD ding, with the navigation lady saying "warning, lane narrows ahead..."....even though we did not even have the navigation on. The warnings are ok....but it's just too darn loud. I could not find that setting for the life of me.
  • How trustworthy is the adaptive cruise? My wife was too nervous to actually let it slow her down on the highway if there needed to be a sudden slowdown (or stop). I am used to it in my Mercedes, so I probably have too much faith in it. However, it has not failed me once - but that does not mean the Caddy's system is on par. I mean, you're pretty much putting your life's hands in the fact that the computer is going to know to slow you down.
Anyway, those are my experiences. Let me know if anyone has any feedback or answers to the questions I have. I'm going to the dealer today to get some things figured out, but I wanted some second opinions as I've had my fair share of dumb dealers that don't know what they're talking about.

·
Registered
2015i Escalade Premium
408 Posts
Wow....! Great report and there ARE answers to some of your questions....FIRST: "the coming down the hill lower gear engagement" is part of the automatic "grade braking" system. You CAN turn it off by holding the tow/haul button for about 5 seconds .....however....you will have to do that EACH time you start the car....really, the grade braking system is a good thing! SECOND: the adaptive cruise is IMMENSELY trustworthy....I too have had Mercedes experience, and the Caddy system is just as good. THIRD: the "4WD service" msg is NOT normal....and....unless the conditions merit , leave it in 2WD...better mpg! FOURTH: there is no way to save profiles on the dash configurations. FIFTH: the front cam operates exactly as you describe...there is not option to simply "turn it on" SIXTH: if you access the nav system screen , then go to the "menu" screen, you will find a setting for "volume" Hope some of this helps!

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Front camera activates when you are REALLY close to an object. Try inching very close to an object and the front camera WILL turn on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Quick update:

Wife just called and said the 4WD Service Message is up again, and it will not come out of 4WD now. She's taking it to the dealer right now, as well as getting all those other kinks worked out. The bad news is that the dealership downtown SLC, and driving there is going to take half the day due to rush hour, etc. I'm guessing the dealership is going to get an earful...she's not the type to do this stuff lightly :eek:

Also - as far as the 4WD / 2WD thing - we should keep it in 2WD mode all the time? What is the Auto mode for? When, if ever, is there a time to put this into 4WD? It's not like we take this thing off-roading, and you can't just pop it into 4WD when your car starts going out of control due to limited traction. I've always thought 4WD was more for jeeps, etc that go off-roading and need a locking differential.

Why did they nix the AWD system? Expenses?

BTW - something else I just found out (from my wife) - the vehicle had over 100 miles on it when we bought it. Is that unusual? The dealer can barely keep their escalades there for longer than a few days, so I'm surprised it racked up so many miles. And with the DVD remote missing - I'm wondering if someone had it for a few days and returned it or something. Hmmm...

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
The 4wd system of the new escalade is better than the previous. It has a two speed transfercase for real off-roading. If it's not your cup of tea, that's why there is 4auto. 2wd is for getting good mileage. If 4hi was activated accidentally, it will cause the 4wd warning. The front camera will turn ON at 1 ft from the obstruction. The rear A/C control is sensitive that you don't even have to touch it and it will turn your seat warmers or adjust the A/C. You can set it in CUE and lock the settings so it doesn't get activated accidentally. 70-75 mph vibration can be due to balancing as well as alignment-need to check. CUE is the best there is compared to the competition once you get used to it. It's controls are in the steering wheel. Grade braking is a plus and ACC is faultless. Congrats!

·
Registered
2015i Escalade Premium, 2016 CTS-V (on order)
22 Posts
Quick update:

Wife just called and said the 4WD Service Message is up again, and it will not come out of 4WD now. She's taking it to the dealer right now, as well as getting all those other kinks worked out. The bad news is that the dealership downtown SLC, and driving there is going to take half the day due to rush hour, etc. I'm guessing the dealership is going to get an earful...she's not the type to do this stuff lightly :eek:

Also - as far as the 4WD / 2WD thing - we should keep it in 2WD mode all the time? What is the Auto mode for? When, if ever, is there a time to put this into 4WD? It's not like we take this thing off-roading, and you can't just pop it into 4WD when your car starts going out of control due to limited traction. I've always thought 4WD was more for jeeps, etc that go off-roading and need a locking differential.

Why did they nix the AWD system? Expenses?

BTW - something else I just found out (from my wife) - the vehicle had over 100 miles on it when we bought it. Is that unusual? The dealer can barely keep their escalades there for longer than a few days, so I'm surprised it racked up so many miles. And with the DVD remote missing - I'm wondering if someone had it for a few days and returned it or something. Hmmm...
Having over 100 miles on delivery either means that the truck was taken for test drives or was a swap with another dealer and was driven instead of being flatbed transport.

Living in the Northeast where the winters have been harsh, usually reserve 4WD auto or 4WD high if roads are wet with either rain or snow for additional traction and usually keep in 2WD otherwise.

On delivery, I got stabilitrak error message that locked in 4WD, and had the entire differential and axle rebuilt by the dealer with no additional problems in over 2000 miles on the car. Minimal vibration at 80-85 but for me varies depending on the road services.

When I bought the truck, the dealer opened a new box that contained a set of earphones and a remote.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Having over 100 miles on delivery either means that the truck was taken for test drives or was a swap with another dealer and was driven instead of being flatbed transport.

Living in the Northeast where the winters have been harsh, usually reserve 4WD auto or 4WD high if roads are wet with either rain or snow for additional traction and usually keep in 2WD otherwise.

On delivery, I got stabilitrak error message that locked in 4WD, and had the entire differential and axle rebuilt by the dealer with no additional problems in over 2000 miles on the car. Minimal vibration at 80-85 but for me varies depending on the road services.

When I bought the truck, the dealer opened a new box that contained a set of earphones and a remote.
Holy cow - you got the entire thing rebuilt? That's crazy - especially on a brand new *very* expensive vehicle. Hope it's all working great now.

We got the box that contained 2 sets of headphones and some instructions, but there was not a remote in it. The box was sealed from the factory, so if that was the box that the remote was supposed to be in, then it was left out from the factory I guess. Either way, we're getting a new one.

----------

The 4wd system of the new escalade is better than the previous. It has a two speed transfercase for real off-roading. If it's not your cup of tea, that's why there is 4auto. 2wd is for getting good mileage. If 4hi was activated accidentally, it will cause the 4wd warning. The front camera will turn ON at 1 ft from the obstruction. The rear A/C control is sensitive that you don't even have to touch it and it will turn your seat warmers or adjust the A/C. You can set it in CUE and lock the settings so it doesn't get activated accidentally. 70-75 mph vibration can be due to balancing as well as alignment-need to check. CUE is the best there is compared to the competition once you get used to it. It's controls are in the steering wheel. Grade braking is a plus and ACC is faultless. Congrats!
Thanks for the response. Is it better for off-roading only or better in all conditions vs the AWD system?

I'm just worried that my wife is not the type to notice that stuff and will not switch it into 4WD if she needs to. Even if the AWD system is inferior to the new 4WD, it wouldn't matter if it's never engaged or needs to be engaged manually. I've owned old 4-runners, Tacoma's, and some Jeeps and they all had to be switched manually - but these were built for off-roading and usually purchased by people with knowledge about these systems for the most part. I envisioned the Escalade as more of an upscale / luxury vehicle purchased by a demographic that doesn't necessary know or even care to know about switching between 2WD, 4WD-hi, 4WD-low, 4WD-auto....or off-roading in general. I could be generalizing, and could be wrong that's just my opinion.

In any case - for every-day driving do we leave it in Auto or 2WD? Keep in mind, I will rarely drive this and my wife will most likely forget that she needs to switch it to 4WD from 2WD if the need arises (let alone knowing the difference between 4WD-hi and 4WD-lo and how to operate each setting. I'm guessing to leave it in 4WD-Auto (dealer recommended), but after some research a lot of people say to leave it in 2WD or else we'll get this service error.

Thanks

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
Daudi81, the error only will show up if you use 4hi on dry surfaces. 4auto is the best selection for somebody who wants it there and leave it.

·
Registered
2015 Escalade
155 Posts
Greetings my first Escalade I got in Aug 2014 had the remote and head phones in a box in the back. The new Escalade i got last month had the remote stored in the overhead DVD player. (kinda weird )
At this point there is no fix for the Vibration. It is in the design and changes level of vibration on road surface type. My new prem is butter smooth on most roads and vibrates on roads that look smooth. Just the way it is……..
Your service 4 wheel drive is a software update fix. (15 minute deal). I agree on the auto vs AWD. Just leave it in 2 wheel drive and when the roads are wet or worst switch it to auto. I am sure your wife can get it:)
I like the Adaptive C however my wife hates it on her 2015 SRX AWD Prem we just bought. You just gotta think ahead when your driving and slow down LMBO! I am sure I would hate it if I lived in a big city since every time someone pulls in front of you the brakes are hammered automatically.
Lucky we live in Oklahoma and in the country.
Good luck

Joey

·
Registered
2015i Escalade Premium
408 Posts
Adaptive cruise is wonderful when you are "cruising" on the Interstates.....but frankly, "cruise control" was never intended for city or suburban traffic situations.....where we ALL need to be in full command of what's going on, at least from what I see going on the roads today!

·
Registered
2015 Escalade
155 Posts
I was talking about interstate not in town driving. On any interstate if someone changes lanes in front of you the brakes are hammered… Just the way it is.

·
Registered
2013 Platinum ESV 2015 MB GL550 2008 Hummer H2
1,071 Posts
Adaptive cruise control can and can't always be trusted. I always keep an eye on them when I activate it. Same goes for my 2015 GL550 with the distronic plus.

For the cameras, to activate the front camera while in drive, you must be 1 foot (12 inches) away from the object under 5 mph. Another helpful tip, when you see the sensors sense an object, there is an image on the DIC of the escalade with three or 4 lines with colors yellow, orange, and red. The red means you are 1 ft away from the obstruction. I will take an image of it later to show what I am talking about.

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
Nihsel10 said:
Adaptive cruise control can and can't always be trusted. I always keep an eye on them when I activate it. Same goes for my 2015 GL550 with the distronic plus. For the cameras, to activate the front camera while in drive, you must be 1 foot (12 inches) away from the object under 5 mph. Another helpful tip, when you see the sensors sense an object, there is an image on the DIC of the escalade with three or 4 lines with colors yellow, orange, and red. The red means you are 1 ft away from the obstruction. I will take an image of it later to show what I am talking about.
The ACC on my P works as advertised. I had it ON at 75mph and as I was making the turn on another ramp, there was a slow moving truck. Because of the sweeping turn it still was at 75mph then as it recognized the slow moving truck, I felt the seat belts pretensioning activate and the brakes locked to a STOP!

·
Registered
2013 Platinum ESV 2015 MB GL550 2008 Hummer H2
1,071 Posts
The ACC on my P works as advertised. I had it ON at 75mph and as I was making the turn on another ramp, there was a slow moving truck. Because of the sweeping turn it still was at 75mph then as it recognized the slow moving truck, I felt the seat belts pretensioning activate and the brakes locked to a STOP!
It definitely does.

I ran into some glitches where it didn't slow down on time and the warning came up and seat vibrated. I usually hover my right foot over the brakes just in case it doesn't do the job it's suppose to do. Still got a long way to earn it's trust since this was first introduced to the Cadillac. It will probably be even better in the future and do lane changes for us. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks for all the replies guys.

Just a quick update. Our escalade is still in the shop for the "4WD Service" fix. They tried to reprogram / flash it but it didn't take. So they ordered in a new "transfer case actuator" , just got the part today and they are putting it in. He said it's because I have the 2 speed transfer case, instead of the older 1 speed - or something like that. No idea if he was just giving me the run-around or if that's really how it is. I guess time will tell.

But, after doing some research online about this issue and other GM transmission issues on these new Yukon / Escalade models - I have a feeling this won't be the end of our 4WD / transmission problems.

The car has no been in the shop almost as long as it's been out of the shop. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come =)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts