Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 ECS
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2001 ECS w 101k. At one time I did Some homework on the NS and read that you want to stay away from the 1996/97-1999's because of the coolant issue/s w the short headbolts etc. and stuff I won't get into.
I did not read up on the 2000 or in my case the 2001. I've heard from ppl that say, "it's a NS they all leak oil", or "make sure you have the correct coolant" and also "change the plugs after 100k because they expand and are difficult to remove after". I guess I'm asking are there issues with these comments? I just want to make sure what I should be paying attention to on this yr/model...and even though I can check on the internet I'd rather ask here instead.
Previous owner (2nd owner) told me he had all the fluids changed out, oil, tranny and coolant recently (within the last 6-7 months). I guess he even replaced the heater lines because they rotted (?).
This Eldorado was purchased in FL and then resided in Georgia. I purchased it last week (Starter was just replaced last week also) where it now rides in New Hampshire. Car was very well maintained inside/out as well as underneath, and I'd like to keep it that way. I may even put it away for the Winter, we'll see. I am mechanically inclined and do my fair share of repairs unless otherwise have a mechanic close to me do it. So folks, what should I be aware of on my 2001 Eldorado?
thnx a bunch!
d`

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,391 Posts
They don't all leak oil, Most of us like DEX-COOL but use any coolant you wish and religiously exchange it every 3 - 4 years. The spark plug statement is pure garbage. Use the correct AC FDelco 41-987 platinum plug and they'll easily go 100,000 miles.

Engine block casting technique was changed for 2000 and later. Cylinder block head bolt hole thread failure was then greatly reduced. 2000 saw the change to roller cams.

Read all the stickies in Seville/Eldorado and Engines; Northstar. It's all in there.

Check the water pump drive belt tensioner pulley. (Pic inserted .......)

water pump drive pulleys.gif
Pulley and tensioner (Notes).JPG

·
Registered
2001 ECS
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They don't all leak oil, Most of us like DEX-COOL but use any coolant you wish and religiously exchange it every 3 - 4 years. The spark plug statement is pure garbage. Use the correct AC FDelco 41-987 platinum plug and they'll easily go 100,000 miles.

Engine block casting technique was changed for 2000 and later. Cylinder block head bolt hole thread failure was then greatly reduced. 2000 saw the change to roller cams.

Read all the stickies in Seville/Eldorado and Engines; Northstar. It's all in there.

Check the water pump drive belt tensioner pulley.
Great read! I made a copy and it will go in the glove...thnx!

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
1,850 Posts
The pulley Jim's talking about is the small tenioner pulley, not the 6" one on the cam end.

·
Registered
02 Seville, 04 SRX (sold), 96 Eldorado (sold), 99 DeVille (sold)
1,360 Posts
They don't all leak oil. But keep in mind that the seals on an older car may begin to leak. Additionally, GM eventually had a service bulletin where they changed the oil pan seal from a preformed gasket to being applied with a tube. So that tells me that there is an expectation that they fail.

·
Registered
2001 ECS
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just a continuation guys on curious stuff as it's all new to me, the NS.
I did check on here and also youtube but did not find my answer. I am curious as to how do you know how much coolant to put in the resiviour when there are no markings on the side..."Hot/Cold level"?
I got a msge "low coolant" last week and this was the first thing I did going to check level. The gasket on cap is in good shape. Looks like there is a plate/s of some sort in the resiviour (?). Anyway, I filled to the top of these plates and it took almost an entire gallon of Dextkool with engine off. Then I put cap on. Next time I ran vehicle there was no msge. I understand the msge could mean Other things as well, but for now I went with the easy part of checking level.
NOTE: I started the vehicle yesterday (cold engine) and backed out of garage. Came in the shop and saw a puddle of coolant, maybe 1-2 cups at least. I have not checked exactly where the coolant came out of nor have I opened the resiviour either. I'm thinking I put too much coolant in (?).
So, how much coolant are you to put in when u get low coolant msge?
thnx
d`

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,391 Posts
Correct coolant level, ambient cold, is at about the surge tank midseam. The trapped airspace is what creates the 'spring" against which expanding coolant works to build system pressure, thus raising the boil point and suppressing water pump cavitation.

The surge tank has a midseam brace - that's about the right level.

The level alarm is a reed switch tripped by a magnetic float.

No legend/arrow molded into your surge tank? Maybe aftermarket. (Here's an OEM tank for my STS)

Coolant tank fill legend.jpg

coolantLEVELsensor600.jpg

·
Registered
2001 ECS
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, mid-seam for my ambient level. Got it. I see the switch is right below seam, so when the switch gets to its lowest setting it'll trigger alarm "low coolant"; when there is too much coolant and it needs to expand the coolant will blow out over flow. I understand there could be other reasons but for now I'm just trying to understand the level and switch as you mentioned.
thnx again for the guidance

1 - 8 of 8 Posts