Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2014 ATS-4 2.0 (RIP), 2015 SRX4, 2008 STS4 V6
81 Posts
I have not seen these yet for ATS applications. Reading up on their site there is protection for uneven voltage which would shut down the lamp - this would be the type of voltage the DRLs would give out. I know some HID setups can handle this (Morimoto with canbus) not sure with this. IMHO I would order a set of capacitors and have on hand for installation.

Keep us updated on the install as well, Good luck.

·
Registered
ATS Base 2.5
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'm a total noob to all of this, but can this be purchased at a local store? Also, can you perhaps share a link on Amazon or anywhere else that may offer them that will give me an understanding about them. I know I can search, but do you have a simple answer to what the difference is between a capacitor and a resister?

·
Registered
2014 ATS-4 2.0 (RIP), 2015 SRX4, 2008 STS4 V6
81 Posts
The daylight running lights operate on 12 volts that is pulsed (not steady) this allows the lamps to be dim during DRL operation. Ballasts do not like this pulsing, and typically shut down or cause lamp flickering. HID kits used for this application either have power directly from the battery with a relay harness, or good quality setups can use the power at the headlights with a CANBUS connector. This canbus connector does two functions - I believe it has a resistor component, which causes the circuit to use the same amount of power as a regular halogen bulb, therefore the car's computer does not see a 'bulb out' error with lower voltage, and has a capacitor component which acts as a buffer to store the pulsating voltage in DRL mode and smoothing out the signal to the ballast.

I am far from an expert, but this is what I understand the component do. The caviat with using a kit on an non-hid setup is that during DRL mode, the lights are running at full brightness.

I would definitely spek with customer service, mention that you have DRLs that cannot be shut off(except by manually turning them off each time you start the car) and that the DRLs operate on a pulse setup

·
Registered
Current 2014 red CTS Vsport/ Black Raven 2013 3.6 ATS4 gone
3,513 Posts

·
Registered
ATS Base 2.5
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
any updates on this? how is it holding up?
I installed them and took them out same day. The lights were definitely bright, however I should've known better. There is a Plastic cover that goes over the existing bulb hosing, this prevents moisture and dust from getting into the projector and on to the lens. When I installed the lights, the fan that is directly behind the bulb sticks way out and you cannot put the plastic cap back on. I've searched and saw that others have went ahead and drilled a hole about 1" in diameter around the center of the cap to allow the bulb to fit. I haven't decided yet if I am willing to do that because it is not something I originally intended to do and will essentially not allow for a perfect seal of the projector.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
We cut a hole for the wires that is attached to the bulb but also has a rubber grommet that seals it back up. You would have to cut the whole and then put a plastic cup over the whole to extend the dust cover and clue it or epoxy it. One of my grommets didn't sit right in the hole and 2 days later there was condensation in the lense already. I had to dry it up with a heat gun and sealed it back up. But in your case I would try something like I said. You don't like it buy some more dust covers and put back to stock.
I installed them and took them out same day. The lights were definitely bright, however I should've known better. There is a Plastic cover that goes over the existing bulb hosing, this prevents moisture and dust from getting into the project and on to the lens. When I stalled the lights, the fan that is directly behind the bulb sticks way out and you cannot put the plastic cap back on. I've searched and saw that others have went ahead and drilled a hole about 1" in diameter around the center of the cap to allow the bulb to fit. I haven't decided yet if I am willing to do that because it is not something I originally intended to do and will essentially not allow for a perfect seal of the projector.

·
Registered
ATS
415 Posts
We cut a hole for the wires that is attached to the bulb but also has a rubber grommet that seals it back up. You would have to cut the whole and then put a plastic cup over the whole to extend the dust cover and clue it or epoxy it. One of my grommets didn't sit right in the hole and 2 days later there was condensation in the lense already. I had to dry it up with a heat gun and sealed it back up. But in your case I would try something like I said. You don't like it buy some more dust covers and put back to stock.
I bought an extra set of dust covers when I installed the HIDs since you had to drill a hole for the wires/rubber grommet. I did that in case I switch back to halogens, for whatever reason, and it will look stock again

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Just so I know where did you buy them? Not sure if I will keep this car or not. I probably will just fiberglass a piece to cover the hole and paint them but if they are cheap enough I'll buy some. Love the car but you never know. If I can get the wife to get a Yukon then I'll keep mine.
I bought an extra set of dust covers when I installed the HIDs since you had to drill a hole for the wires/rubber grommet. I did that in case I switch back to halogens, for whatever reason, and it will look stock again

·
Registered
ATS-V Coupe MT
1,558 Posts
I installed them and took them out same day. The lights were definitely bright, however I should've known better. There is a Plastic cover that goes over the existing bulb hosing, this prevents moisture and dust from getting into the projector and on to the lens. When I installed the lights, the fan that is directly behind the bulb sticks way out and you cannot put the plastic cap back on. I've searched and saw that others have went ahead and drilled a hole about 1" in diameter around the center of the cap to allow the bulb to fit. I haven't decided yet if I am willing to do that because it is not something I originally intended to do and will essentially not allow for a perfect seal of the projector.
I think I have an extra set of those dust covers with the hole already drilled for when I had hids. Pay for shipping and I'll send it to you. If I find them lol

·
Registered
ATS
415 Posts

·
Registered
ATS Base 2.5
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think I have an extra set of those dust covers with the hole already drilled for when I had hids. Pay for shipping and I'll send it to you. If I find them lol
Ok let's talk, send me a pm if you find them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts