Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
'08 DTS Lux III Blk Cherry, '89 Brougham d'Elegance Dip Blue
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would stop in and say hi and introduce my new ride. I bought this 2002 today. Finally back in the Cadillac family after selling my '99 Eldorado ETC roughly 5 years ago. I'm already enjoying the truck, and I'm sure I will for many miles to come as long as it doesn't eat me out of house and home in gas. There's 210k on the clock, but it seems to be a well cared for truck and I got it for a steal. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. So far the only issues I can tell the truck has is the common wonky fuel level sensor (which is already driving me crazy) and the dash light dimmer switch has to be in just the right spot or the dash lights go off completely. Other than that everything seems to be in good order with the truck.

·
Registered
05 ESV Platinum
161 Posts
Thanks. So far the only issues I can tell the truck has is the common wonky fuel level sensor (which is already driving me crazy) and the dash light dimmer switch has to be in just the right spot or the dash lights go off completely. Other than that everything seems to be in good order with the truck.
Had similar issue with dash light dimmer. New dimmer switch for bout 35 bucks fixed it....easy replace job.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
^ same issue on my mom's 02 after I replaced the switch the dash lights worked perfectly

The cluster issue is a common problem with these trucks they can be rebuilt for cheap(way cheaper then dealer cost to replace it)

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not really worried about the dash lights switch. I keep them turned up and rarely ever would I use the switch to turn on the interior lights. I'm more annoyed by the wavering fuel level.

What is average mileage out of the 5.3 2wd models?

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
ga_etc said:
I'm not really worried about the dash lights switch. I keep them turned up and rarely ever would I use the switch to turn on the interior lights. I'm more annoyed by the wavering fuel level. What is average mileage out of the 5.3 2wd models?
Give this guy a email he will fix the issue(had home do my dad's h2 cluster after it went nutty)
Terry White
2824 Villa Venezia Ct.
Ocean Springs, MS

[email protected]

Here's the pricing breakdown:

Gauge cluster LED conversion $65(add $50 to do rebuild)
Replacement needles(optional) $50
Headlight switch $20
Cargo/fog switch $20
Steering wheel buttons $40
Climate control $55
Heated seat switches $35(pair)
4X4 switch $35
Front door window/lock switch panels $65(pair)
Rear door window switches $25(pair)
Factory radio $70

----------

I meant him not home(stupid autocorrect messes me up half the time grr)

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think it's the sending unit in the tank, not the gauge itself honestly. It'll work fine, then drop to empty, then sometimes it'll read any level it chooses, then sometimes accurate again. I suppose it could be the IP, but it's only that gauge.

----------

I love this picture I took of the truck today.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
6,459 Posts
Congrats on the new ride and welcome back!!! Better stop in and visit the other sections you frequented just to say hello..

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
ga_etc said:
I think it's the sending unit in the tank, not the gauge itself honestly. It'll work fine, then drop to empty, then sometimes it'll read any level it chooses, then sometimes accurate again. I suppose it could be the IP, but it's only that gauge. ---------- http://s685.photobucket.com/user/austin99etc/media/2015-02-10%2016.55.21_zpsmxwd3ydq.jpg.html I love this picture I took of the truck today.
Could be given how it's behaving
My mom'2 has a weird oil guage issue where the needle pegs so if it's not doing that then it's the sensor not the cluster

·
Registered
150 Posts

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Welcome, it's nice to see another 02 Escalade owner.
patrick
You don't see many '02s for some reason. I wish they had HIDs like the '03+, but I actually like some of the little things that are '02 Specific. They have a nicer guages, I think.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
ga_etc said:
You don't see many '02s for some reason. I wish they had HIDs like the '03+, but I actually like some of the little things that are '02 Specific. They have a nicer guages, I think.
It's possible to retro the 03+ housings and ballasts but it requires wiring work
Plus you would have a warm up lag when you go from high to low due to the warm up of the bulbs

I agree the 02 cluster looks like it belongs in a caddy where as the one in the 03+ looks like a Tahoe(cheap)

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
gmoney123 said:
how much does that cost roughly?
You would need the 03+ housings bulbs and ballasts to retro a 02 with hids

The housings price will vary depending on where you get them(dealer is always the priciest)

The ballasts can be either factory or aftermarket(I would only trust factory ballasts) and can either be cheap or pricy depending on where you get them

Bulbs you can get those on Amazon for 25-50 bucks a set (get kensun bulbs they are great and are cheap priced)

The hard part would be wiring plus you would still have a lag when switching from high to low beams due to the warm up of the hids(which is short to begin with)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts