Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac Seville SLS 128k 2 owner car
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What generation is a 2003 Seville SLS ? This northstar motor is new enough to worry about that "Rod/Bolt" issue that the late 90's motors had does it!?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,391 Posts
Which model do you have - STS or SLS - it makes huge differences in advice given.

5th gen. -the last. All Seville production ceased in December of 2003; the "2004" model year ran from July 2003 to December 2003. The 2003 model year ran from July 2002 to June of 2003. Total production is shown in the sticky thread on Northstar car production in the Engines; Northstar forum.

All the head bolt and cylinder block problems were worked out by essentially 2002 although there were other engine changes in 2003. Nice cars. 2000 was the change to different block metallurgy, better heads, updated ignition, and roller cams.

2003 is a very, very, very different engine from the 1990s. Read the Engines; Northstar forum stickies.

Welcome to CF !!! This thread has been dead for 6.5 years.........

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the response. I just bought a 2003 Seville STS w/ 123k on it for $1900, The low beams don't work, rear inner brake lights don't work and have water in the lenses, and the water pump/fan pulley is squeaking/dry grinding Ironically enough, doesn't look like it leaks much oil and finally I have sagging/swaying in the rear end(not too rough) and the Service Suspension System indicator is on . I just got it yesterday so discovering the kinks, and what's going to be the easiest and cost efficient to keep it running.

Thanks for the welcome, have a good weekend

·
Administrator
70,391 Posts
Repair that water pump belt tensioner pulley yesterday - when it seizes it takes out some very expensive stuff - parts and labor-wise. Pulley is replaceable separately from the tensioner arm. Any parts store, $24.

Post your troubles in the Seville/Eldorado forum. At least you don't have the scary-expensive performance strut/shock suspension.

Pulley and tensioner (Notes).JPG
water pump drive pulleys.gif

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just picked up a 2003 STS w/ 128k from an elderly women from Georgia 2nd owner vehicle no accidents, not 1 spec of rust

Belts are solid no cracks or fading, the tires have 80+% tread, A/C blows cold(blower motor takes a sec to ramp up to full blast but seems to be working fine)

I was already prepared in my mind to do a full tune up "plugs,coil pack, oil change, air n cabin filter, fuel filter, radiator flush and transmission filter n fluid"

If you have any other basic tune up suggestions or routine/required maintenance that I should do at this age & mileage, please don't hesitate to chime in, I am willing to put money into this car to guarantee me it will last for sometime to come, and I have no idea what the previous owner's maintenance routine was like, so not sure if it had it's 100k mile service let alone any other service for that matter.

So right out the bat, Someone told me to fix #1 on the list ASAP to avoid catastrophic failure or damage to the surrounding parts.

#1 - Water Pump / Fan pulley is dry grinding especially when idling. (someone suggested I should not only change the pulley but the water pump as well as the tensioner because if it's all out why not just replace it all at once (even though I'm not overheating)

#2 - Rear inner tail lights have been resealed horribly by previous owner, the lenses are full of water and the bulbs aren't working
#2.1 - Low Beams aren't working though high beams and blinkers do, the turn signal handle seems to be solid and functions fine , I am hoping it's just bulbs
#2.2 - the headlights are fogged out, I picked up a Sylvania headlight polish kit

#3 - The Suspension Stability Service Required warning comes across the dash, I can hear the air pump in the rear keeps running more than what it seems like it should. There is sagging and swaying in the rear especially around corners.

#4 - Service Engine Lights on ( Is there a way to get codes off the dash module, someone told me to hold some buttons to get the codes and to reset the check engine light?)

#5 - Passenger window switch doesn't work and the rear driver's window doesn't go down at all but you can hear the motor engage.

I really like Caddis they run in the family as far back as the 60's, my Dad still has my Grandmother's 83 in the garage down in Florida , hasn't been driven over 3000 miles in a decade yet he still maintains it every year when he goes snowbirding. Point of that little tidbit is, I'd like to see this car last me a while and I don't want it to be a cash sink, so reaching out to the community for suggestions.

What do you think ? Did I get a good deal ? I know might be hard to say based on what may be wrong with the suspension right?

Here she is...

Thanks everyone in advance

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,998 Posts
STEP #1 - ALWAYS - check for DTC's - Diagnostic Trouble Codes - using the on-board scanner -
if you don't know how - go here -

post any codes you have -
ALONG WITH THEIR DEFINITIONS -

include whether they are C-Current or H-History -

for code definitions - go here -

here is a how-to video - your Seville is the same procedure as the Deville -

========================

start saving up LOTS of money for new struts and shocks -
front struts will cost around $300 EACH -
and rear shocks are around $400 EACH -
and any other strut components you may need -
plus labor - and alignment -

--------------------------------
your low beams MIGHT be regular 9006 halogen bulbs -
check the fuses and relays under the hood -
then check the bulbs -

but - most likely - they are HID's -
bulbs and ballasts are expensive -
and NO - you can't simply replace them with halogen bulbs -
unless you replace the headlight housings -

------------------------

What do you think ? Did I get a good deal ?
that depends -
how much did you pay for it?
how much work does it need?
how much of the work can you do?

·
Administrator
70,391 Posts
His water pump drive belt tensioner pulley question is answered in his Lounge post for intro. (EDIT - Lounge specific car questions have been merged into this thread)

Thread title says STS but profile banner says SLS.

Scared, which model is your car? It makes very, very, very large differences in advice given. The STS has a 9 as the eighth character of the VIN; the SLS is a Y.

Study all the sticky threads at the top of this Seville threads main page as well as the stickies in Engines; Northstar.

You will NEED a real GM/Cadillac/Helm service manual set. eBay, www.helminc.com, or the online version at www.alldatadiy.com. Too many very specific procedures, torques, specs, tricks to wing it.

These buttons are used to enter the car's built-in diagnostic code system.

DIC controls.jpg

Read all of this - written by a GM Northstar Systems powertrain engineer, it applies mainly to the pre-2000 Northstar but is still applicable to our 2000 - 2005 engines.

Bring money. Lots of it.

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
1,850 Posts
As to the water pump, no need to change the big pulley, just the small tensioner pulley.
No need to change the pump.
...and no need to replace the coil packs unless they're bad.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
What do you think ? Did I get a good deal ?
that depends - how much did you pay for it?

ANSWER - She wanted $2500, I paid $1900

how much work does it need?

I'll get codes later today or tomorrow

how much of the work can you do?

Almost none due to physical limitations, I'm gonna have to pay up for a mechanic

Also it's verified, I have the 9006 headlights

·
Administrator
70,391 Posts
Which model do you really have - it makes a lot of difference in advice offered.

STS = Seville Touring Sedan - 300 hp, 3.71 final drive
SLS = Seville Luxury Sedan - 275 hp, 3.11 final drive

Our Sevilles use the 9005 bulbs for high beams/DRL and 9006 for low beams. (Some were optioned for HID lighting systems) If you want to disable DRL (Daytime Running Lamps) pull fuse #24 in the underhood box.

·
Administrator
70,391 Posts
OK - luckily the SLS (soft springs, passive suspension) is the less expensive version to maintain. Not cheap - less expensive.

I'll correct the thread title so you don't get conflicting advice from well-meaning gearheads.

·
19,998 Posts
2003 Cadillac Seville SLS 128k on it
========================
you just saved a LOT of money on struts and shocks -

for front struts I recommend the Monroe QuickStrut -
this is a fully assembled strut assembly with all new parts -
MONROE 171684 - $100 each - with free shipping -

for the rear shocks -
MONROE MA822 - $70 - for the pair - with free shipping -

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
@basscatt thank you for the information, had the suspension checked, yeah the struts are fried but I have bigger issues at hand

I had the fan belt/water pump tensioner, bracket and belt replaced(it was fraded) instantly the grinding was gone. Well then I get home, start her up the next morning and I have a major knock in the engine, when I shut it off or rev in park let's say to 3000 rpm n let off quickly ,It were as if someone was hitting the engine with a hammer. I bring it back to them this morning, and I guess when it's warm , the knocking either goes away or dampens, because all the mechanic could hear when it was warm was he said sounded like the throttle body air flow.. What he heard and I heard when it was a cold start are two very different things, there was no knocking at all at the shop.So, I'm leaving it overnight to let it cool off and they will "re-diagnose" the problem tomorrow morning, how if this knock was there when they worked on the pulley and they didn't pick up on this I don't know.

Anyways ,on the trip there to replace the pulley bracket and belt , upon their inspection , they told me the struts are fried, they suggested the bypass kit $1100 parts n labor all in. That the ball bearings on both sides will need to be replaced soon and that was it, that everything else checked out, oh and they replaced the low beams with 9006, someone had cut and replaced the low beams with HIDs and would have cost a small fortune to replace them, so I had them revert it back to the stock plugs and bulbs.

All in for the pulley,tensioner,bracket and belt and low beams, with parts & labor was $315.00 (with a $30 coupon on the tensioner)

I ran the codes from the dash and there were a lot of history codes but only a few active codes other than the service suspension system

No DIM,No IPC,No IPM,No IRC, No AMP,

I'd have to go back out forgot to write down whether this was an active code or had history but DDMU1713/U1715 ?

Following had history - C1214 H,C1287 H, MSMU1000 H,

Current Active Codes - PCP0741 Current, PCP1860 Current

At a quick glance into the code sheet, it was a traction control code and steering positioning sensor

The suspension at that price all in I can't justify it if there a major issue with the engine, it would be nice it were somthing simple as a throttle body, if they can't hear it I will bring the car home and record a video with the phone under the hood so everyone can hear what I am but that's about it..

What do you guys think ? @Submariner409 & @basscatt

·
19,998 Posts
they told me the struts are fried, they suggested the bypass kit $1100 parts n labor all in.
these is no bypass kit for an SLS -
I already advised on which struts and shocks would be the BEST choice -

YOU could buy a pair of struts and a pair of rear shocks for LESS than $300 -

the QuickStruts would take LESS than 90 minutes to replace BOTH - $150 -
the shocks would take LESS than 1 hour to replace - $100 -
YES - you'll NEED an alignment after replacing the struts - $75 -
do the math -

start her up the next morning and I have a major knock in the engine,
NORTHSTAR COLD CARBON KNOCK - google it

when I shut it off or rev in park let's say to 3000 rpm . . . . . . . . .
revving the snot out of a COLD engine is NOT something I would recommend -
in fact - revving the snot out of a WARM engine doesn't do ANYTHING any god either -

regarding other codes -
they are meaningless without their DEFINITIONS -
there are THOUSANDS - and no one has them all memorized -

go here for the best list of Cadillac code definitions -

also include whether the codes are C-Current or H-History -

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
they told me the struts are fried, they suggested the bypass kit $1100 parts n labor all in.
these is no bypass kit for an SLS -
I already advised on which struts and shocks would be the BEST choice -

YOU could buy a pair of struts and a pair of rear shocks for LESS than $300 -

the QuickStruts would take LESS than 90 minutes to replace BOTH - $150 -
the shocks would take LESS than 1 hour to replace - $100 -
YES - you'll NEED an alignment after replacing the struts - $75 -
do the math -

start her up the next morning and I have a major knock in the engine,
NORTHSTAR COLD CARBON KNOCK - google it

when I shut it off or rev in park let's say to 3000 rpm . . . . . . . . .
revving the snot out of a COLD engine is NOT something I would recommend -
in fact - revving the snot out of a WARM engine doesn't do ANYTHING any god either -

regarding other codes -
they are meaningless without their DEFINITIONS -
there are THOUSANDS - and no one has them all memorized -

go here for the best list of Cadillac code definitions -

also include whether the codes are C-Current or H-History -

UPDATE: Thank you for the advice and part #'s I was able to get the shocks & struts within $25 of what you posted.

So, I changed out the shock & struts with the exact model #'s you recommends, it rides very smooth now, though the rear end sits lower than the front end , as if the nose was pointing upwards a bit, if I get time I'll take a picture for you.

Since I created this post, the steering leveling sensor had gotten increasingly more dangerous, so I am in the process of getting that done, then I will get an alignment.

Also, the cataltyic converter guts have broken apart and is bad, after doing a quick glance, this is the one that I found as a universal replacement? Do you recommend this or a different model and will a carb & non carb compliant as far as installing it on my car will it make a difference in sensors o2 or in performance?

Here is the one I found >

Eastern 70318 Catayltic Converter on Amazon

Also, I am having a hard time nailing down the exact model/part # for my washer fluid resevoir , it has a huge crack in the bottom of it.,It doesn't hold fluid at all.
The tech's recommendation was to get the entire tank and assembly kit in case of any dry rot in the seals or hoses. Which one is the question and from where, I wasn't able to find one on Amazon??

I appreciate your initial help, I am rapidly approaching the finish line on repairs, any help you would be greatly appreciated.
Hope all is well and be safe out there

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Steering Angle Sensor, Leveling, Positioning Sensor many manufacturer's refer to them differently.

·
19,998 Posts
UPDATE: Thank you for the advice and part #'s I was able to get the shocks & struts within $25 of what you posted.

So, I changed out the shock & struts with the exact model #'s you recommends, it rides very smooth now, though the rear end sits lower than the front end , as if the nose was pointing upwards a bit, if I get time I'll take a picture for you.

Since I created this post, the steering leveling sensor had gotten increasingly more dangerous, so I am in the process of getting that done, then I will get an alignment.

Also, the cataltyic converter guts have broken apart and is bad, after doing a quick glance, this is the one that I found as a universal replacement? Do you recommend this or a different model and will a carb & non carb compliant as far as installing it on my car will it make a difference in sensors o2 or in performance?

Here is the one I found >

Eastern 70318 Catayltic Converter on Amazon

Also, I am having a hard time nailing down the exact model/part # for my washer fluid resevoir , it has a huge crack in the bottom of it.,It doesn't hold fluid at all.
The tech's recommendation was to get the entire tank and assembly kit in case of any dry rot in the seals or hoses. Which one is the question and from where, I wasn't able to find one on Amazon??

I appreciate your initial help, I am rapidly approaching the finish line on repairs, any help you would be greatly appreciated.
Hope all is well and be safe out there
=====================
it rides very smooth now, though the rear end sits lower than the front end
typically - the rear actually sits slightly HIGHER than the front -
does the compressor run and inflate the air bladders?

Since I created this post, the steering leveling sensor had gotten increasingly more dangerous,
so I am in the process of getting that done, then I will get an alignment.

I have absolutely no idea what a steering leveling sensor is -

Also, the cataltyic converter guts have broken apart and is bad,
after doing a quick glance, this is the one that I found as a universal replacement?

the correct cat for your car would be the EASTERN CATALYTIC 50410 -
assuming you don't live in the Peoples Republic of California -

I am having a hard time nailing down the exact model/part # for my washer fluid resevoir
the correct part number for the washer assembly is GM 12367273 -
brand new is going to cost around $125 - with shipping -
there are several used ones on ebay for $50 - with free shipping - and a 6-month warranty -

lastly -
amazon is a pretty good source for parts - BUT - they are NOT the ONLY source -
AND their catalog/fitment guide SUCKS - it is WRONG fairly often -

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
To be honest about the air bladders I think that's what is causing the service suspension error to constantly come up , they just installed the shocks and did not repair the air bladder leak. Here in my area the mechanic options are limited. I will have to probably go back to Cadillac for that ...

Thank you for all your help .. I appreciate it. The parts are ordered should have it all installed by the end of the month.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts