Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a '10 CTS 3.0 base from a dealer, super clean, got a great deal. Ended up getting the base over the premium trim package because of the sunroof leak issue, and living in Florida, I'd rather just not deal with it. Have a little extra cash to play around with and was wondering if there's any recommended maintenance I should look into for this car. 93K miles, pristine interior/exterior. Only issues seem to be a slight vibration when idling and a dead tire pressure sensor on the driver's side rear tire.

·
Registered
Black/Black 2013 CTS Sedan 3.0L RWD (99k miles)
1,264 Posts
At 100k, according to the manual, you probably want new spark plugs, ATF change, change out cabin and engine filters. If you don't have the prior service records, since the car is probably 9-10 years old you may want to change the coolant, brake fluid, power steering fluid and rear differential fluid as well.

·
Registered
**2014 CTS4 Sport Wagon-Luxury**
2,240 Posts
check and clean that throttle body and MAF (Mass Air Flow sensor) for a possible on that slightly rough idle too...the cleaners are inexpensive (I used CRC brand) and the job isn't hard to do...

Good luck and enjoy the new ride

Bill

·
Registered
2009 CTS 3.6L DI rebuilt to FE3 J55 G80 3.42:1
974 Posts
At 100k, according to the manual, you probably want new spark plugs, ATF change, change out cabin and engine filters. If you don't have the prior service records, since the car is probably 9-10 years old you may want to change the coolant, brake fluid, power steering fluid and rear differential fluid as well.
To this list add motor mounts, shocks, springs, and inspect other suspension components for wear. Tie rods and control arms are possibilities. Replace all of the tire sensors obviously, the batteries are end-of-life at this age.

Glad to hear it is clean, but the previous owner likely did none of this (do they ever?), and it is a 10 year old car that needs some modest maintenance.

·
2011 CTS Coupe Premium
Orlando - We take orphans
3,019 Posts
If cleaning the MAF (that and the TPS come under the heading of "if it works, don't fix it) make sure to use a cleaner specific for MAFs eg CFC 05110. Personally I'd change the plugs first.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice. The motor mounts were replaced at about 80000 miles, so I don't think it's that. Could the a/c compressor be causing the vibrations? It seems significantly less pronounced when the a/c is turned off and the air quality in the cabin is slightly musty smelling when it's on. Also, from what I've read, the timing chain really isn't an issue with this model year, right?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Thanks for the advice. The motor mounts were replaced at about 80000 miles, so I don't think it's that. Could the a/c compressor be causing the vibrations? It seems significantly less pronounced when the a/c is turned off and the air quality in the cabin is slightly musty smelling when it's on. Also, from what I've read, the timing chain really isn't an issue with this model year, right?
Might be worth checking the transmission mount as well, although usually the motor mounts are the offenders. Replace the cabin air filter, although that may not completely eliminate the problem. Spark plugs are a good possibility at that mileage if they haven't been replaced.

·
Registered
'12 CTS Performance Sports Wagon AWD
2,949 Posts
How do you check the engine mounts? My 12 seems to run rough at low idle with the LFX engine... Trying to chase it down but have been unsuccessful so far. Thought it was a vacuum leak before but not sure other than the booster and the PCV stuff if there are any other vacuum lines on the car?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Put it in drive, hold the brake and step on the gas.

·
Registered
2013 Black Diamond CTS4 Premium Coupe (sold-09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony)
4,378 Posts
To prevent an accident, and provide clarity. Park the car on a level surface and open the hood. Get in the car and note the position of the engine. Start the car and keep the brakes pressed firmly for this entire process. Put the car in drive and gently give the car some gas. Note how much the engine moves. If it just moves a little, you are probably OK. If it raises up and moves a lot, the motor mounts need replaced.
I hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
10,116 Posts
In addition to other suggestions, I can just about guarantee that you need front lower control arms. Also, start saving for wheel bearings. I have same mileage, and have done three in the last year and a half.

·
Registered
974 Posts
In addition to other suggestions, I can just about guarantee that you need front lower control arms. Also, start saving for wheel bearings. I have same mileage, and have done three in the last year and a half.
Consider economy of labor and alignment when it comes to suspension maintenance. Not all here will agree with me, but at 100K miles my philosophy is if it needs to come off to replace a part, put new parts back on. Replacing shocks means springs and insulators too, etc.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks like I'm going to do the spark plugs, full fluid flush/new fluids, new filters, and get the air compressor checked. Checked the mounts and they seem stable. Thanks for all the advice..

Does anyone know a good place (online or in the central Florida area) to get floor mats? Didn't come with any for some reason and I'm sure the dealer would want an absurd amount lol

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe FE3, 2003 Thunderbird, Gone 2013 ATS, 02 Deville
1,808 Posts
I buy mine on line better and cheaper. Top of the line like Lloyd Mats, American floor mats. about $90 with no emblem for two fronts. I got the Cadillac crest for extra $33

1 - 17 of 17 Posts