Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am new to this site and i think it is a pretty nice place to exchange info. I bought my 97 Seville SLS with 51,000 miles, The car is immaculate inside and out(cept for a couple of dings on passenger side that could be removed paintless) i have some questions especialy one regarding AC. It STOPPED working nite before last. I turned on the defroster and heard a light pop seemingly coming from under the dash along with a burning smell that diminshed quickly(thank goodness) i had fuse block checked and was told to take to dealer to get a code check. I will probably get this done very soon as i run my AC at all times. But does anyone know what this could be. My fan does not come on in defrost mode, heater or cooling. I heard could be "blower motor relay"
Help!
SLS LUV:crying:

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Your car does not have a blower motor relay. The blower is controlled by the BCM, so reading the codes may point you in the right direction. Turn the ignition on, and press OFF and WARMER on the electronic climate control. The codes will scroll by on your drivers information center. Write them down, and post them here and someone will tell you what they mean.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DaveSmed said:
Your car does not have a blower motor relay. The blower is controlled by the BCM, so reading the codes may point you in the right direction. Turn the ignition on, and press OFF and WARMER on the electronic climate control. The codes will scroll by on your drivers information center. Write them down, and post them here and someone will tell you what they mean.
Hey Dave
Thanks alot for answering my thread. I have to admit i have wondered where one could get the codes but i was unsure about how to retrieve them. I will post codes as soon as i find retrieve them from the DIC.

Thanks Again Dave
SLS LUV

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
DaveSmed said:
Ok,WOW
I checked for codes and, the only thing i saw was P0603? and B1771 HID?
There was following
PCM,RSS,PZM,CCP,TCS,IPS,ACM,SDM all stated "no codes"
So now for my next question.

Can Anybody make sense out of this?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just had the same thing (no fan motor) happen this morning. I too have a 97 SLS. Dumped the codes and received no codes for all. I guess I'll turn the car on defrost (high fan speed) and check the voltage at the fan motor. If there is voltage, it's a bad fan motor. If there is not voltage, I'm not sure were to look. Any help out there is appreicated. Thanks - SEAM4

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
When you do this, make sure to read to a chassis ground, not another pin. It's not a regular fan (of course). It reads pulses from the BCM to get the fan speed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
DaveSmed said:
When you do this, make sure to read to a chassis ground, not another pin. It's not a regular fan (of course). It reads pulses from the BCM to get the fan speed.
DaveSmed,

I read from the gray wire (from BCM) to ground and had no voltage. Does it put out pulses? If so, what level should I see when the fan is on high setting? Thanks - SEAM4

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I think it pulses ground, so switch to ohms. Anyway, one of those wires should be +12v, so if your not getting that check the wiring diagram.

·
Registered
12 Posts
DaveSmed said:
I think it pulses ground, so switch to ohms. Anyway, one of those wires should be +12v, so if your not getting that check the wiring diagram.
DaveSmed,

I had 12V from the red to blk wire. I was thinking that I would try grounding the gray wire and see if the fan runs. Since there are no codes, I thought that the BCM is OK. It must be the solid state control in the blower motor. - SEAM4

·
Registered
12 Posts
seam4 said:
DaveSmed,

I had 12V from the red to blk wire. I was thinking that I would try grounding the gray wire and see if the fan runs. Since there are no codes, I thought that the BCM is OK. It must be the solid state control in the blower motor. - SEAM4
Just talked to a Caddy dealer, he said 90% of the time when there is no fan motor at all, it is the fan motor. He had one in stock for 359.00!! Ouch. They can be had for around 200.00 it many part stores. Ouch again. He said that it is a bad design and Caddy is on it's third design try. How about a recall!! - Seam4

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Yea, one has to wonder what was so bad about the tried and true resistor.....

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
seam4 said:
Just talked to a Caddy dealer, he said 90% of the time when there is no fan motor at all, it is the fan motor. He had one in stock for 359.00!! Ouch. They can be had for around 200.00 it many part stores. Ouch again. He said that it is a bad design and Caddy is on it's third design try. How about a recall!! - Seam4
SEam
What auto parts store are u talkin about i cant find a aftermarket fan motor.

SLS LUV

·
Registered
12 Posts
SLS LUV said:
SEam
What auto parts store are u talkin about i cant find a aftermarket fan motor.

SLS LUV
Advance Auto parts (they have a websight: advanceautoparts.com?), NAPA, Car Quest. Advanced had the best price - 199.00, but would take 3 to 5 days to get. Also, AC Delco parts dealer in your area should have one (about 250.00). I think there is another web sight call cadillacpartsonly.com that has parts. Saw some monroe shocks for the Caddy (which I need), but no price. Hope this helps.

I took the blower motor off, checked it out and reinstalled it again and it started working again! Don't know why, guess it know it was goning to be replaced. I know it will start working again, but hopefully it will get me into spring. - SEAM4

·
Registered
7 Posts
i have a 97 eldorado etc,and i have the same problem. i changed the blower motor and it did not fix it. i found a blower motor. it was an ac delco for $170 it was at SHEFFIELD AUTO PARTS 7806 E 24 hwy kansas city missouri phone number is
(816)241-5717. i know it is cold in kansas city with no heater. it will come on somtimes, i can hear the dampers moving the a/c compressor is kicking on and off but just no air is coming out. i would be thankful for any help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Boo said:
i have a 97 eldorado etc,and i have the same problem. i changed the blower motor and it did not fix it. i found a blower motor. it was an ac delco for $170 it was at SHEFFIELD AUTO PARTS 7806 E 24 hwy kansas city missouri phone number is
(816)241-5717. i know it is cold in kansas city with no heater. it will come on somtimes, i can hear the dampers moving the a/c compressor is kicking on and off but just no air is coming out. i would be thankful for any help.
Did you dump the codes? If so, did anything come up? The blower motor control is directly connected to the "programmer" under the dash. Also, when it is not working, check for 12V across the end pins (1 and 3). You might have a bad connection. SEAM4

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
4 Participants
seam4