Cadillac Owners Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Eldorado ETC
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Sorry, I just added the link to my post. Here is the link:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/138258-how-pull-codes-dtcs.html

The dash doesn't show the codes. But the codes can turn on the lights on your dash. Definitely there is an error code stored in your computer.
The correct process for reading code is:
1- Clear all of your codes stored in your computer. You can find the instructions in the link I posted.
2- Drive the car for a few miles. In your case, drive until the service engine light comes on.
3- Park the car, read te codes, and post the codes here. Don't forget to write the definition of each code beside the code itself. The definitions are inside the link I posted.

Sorry, but I can't really understand your definitions, could you re-word them? And I didn't see these listed: PZM, CCP (when it came up on cluster saying NO CCP CODES), MMM (when it came up on cluster saying NO MMM CODES), ACM ( when it came up on cluster saying NO ACM CODES), TSS (when came up on cluster saying NO TSS CODES),

----------

Sorry to all you guys I snapped at. You just really scared me. So it isn't really that serious? About how much $$$ do you THINK to fix it? Also, then how did it pass smog before?

·
Registered
'14 ATS Premium with 3 pedals | Past: '13 ATS Performance & '99 Seville STS
5,847 Posts
The only current code is "P1139". I think you have a bad oxygen sensors. Your service engine light is ON because of this code. The good news is that this is not a very big deal, you yourself can change the sensor and the sensor shouldn't cost you a lot, I guess it should be about $120 (?).

==
P.S: After posting I saw that Pum and Ryan beat me... :D yes, oxygen sensor and it's cheap...

·
Registered
1997 Eldorado ETC
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
The only current code is "P1139". I think you have a bad oxygen sensors. Your service engine light is ON because of this code. The good news is that this is not a very big deal, you yourself can change the sensor and the sensor shouldn't cost you a lot, I guess it should be about $120 (?).
I DO NOT think I can do it myself. How much at a mechanic do you think? Could Midas do it do you believe?

·
Registered
5,847 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Eldorado ETC
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I am going to be doing some driving tomorrow, so should I just reset the codes (HOW??) and then when SES comes on check the codes list again? Will that "current" Oxygen sensor code be the only one listed, or will the "history" ones still be there?

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
I DO NOT think I can do it myself. How much at a mechanic do you think? Could Midas do it do you believe?
Any mechanic must be able to do this for you for real cheap. Usually replacing a sensor is no harder than replacing a bulb. But sometimes there may not be enough clearance and that can make the work hard...
I bet someone will chime in and he will exactly say you where this specific sensor is located in your Eldo and how hard it is to replace....

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,700 Posts
This is not always dead on acurate but the prices usualy come very close sometimes less sometimes a few dollars more try this link
http://autos.aol.com/auto-repair/repairpal/

will let you punch in your car info and postal code will pull up prices that will usualy be what it will be in your area
i think its saying labor time for a Ox sensor is like between 65-79 dollars
depending on if you get OEM or aftermarket sensor will be around 80-180 for the part

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
In post #2 I mentioned to pull the codes and you have a link how to do it (where the text is blue and says "learn here how to do it").
Took me long time to write my replies with good intentions, and because were not what you liked to hear you became frustrated and you ignored the posts. I was the same when I was 16, we all were.
I did not bought a lemon as long as I put the majority of mileage on the car and the repairs were for issues developed while I owned the car (not inherited), unfortunately (for you) it is the other way around.
As of the issues you have I am very intrigue not to see any CVRSS codes. I have a theory though, somebody knows that you can set the IPC to ignore the CVRSS module using the IPC overrides Option C (IPS03). You want to bet your IPS Option C is now set to 97 instead of 225 (the factory default value for a CVRSS car)?
This may be a good thing, it is dishonest don’t get me wrong, but it means the previous owner knew a thing or two about the car.

Did I mentioned something about fuel pump in your near future? Haven’t even seen the codes, now know you have a failing sending unit (part of the fuel pump assembly). Do not ignore the History codes, that how most issues start with a History code, which in time will be more and more often current.

Oxygen sensor is not very common and is part of the $1000 per year unexpected car expenses. Fortunately with little shopping around you can score a brand new OEM O2 sensor on eBay for little over $50+shipping. They can be pretty stubborn to remove, really, really stubborn.

Too bad you don’t have the option to return the car, too bad, you lost ~$2000, that’s allot of money for a 16 y.o.

When you enter in the diagnose mode all your dash lights up for ~3 seconds.
That is called the bulb test. If there is one light on your dash, or one display element (pixel if you like) off you know is burnt.
Then you enter in to the code enumeration (module by module). If no codes it will say “NO XXX CODES”, if the module is not found on bus (very bad) it will say “NO XXX DATA” where XXX is the acronym of the module: PCM, IPC, ACM, SDM, TCS, (RSS), PZM, IRC, RFA, CCP, (MMM), (MSM), (PHN). The modules between brackets are optional.
Have you seen by any chance RSS anywhere?
Once the code enumeration is done (all the way to the last module) you are presented with the modules menu. The first module is “PCM?” and it simply asks: “Do you want to access the PCM menu?”

FAN SPEED UP= YES
FAN SPEED DOWN=NO
OFF = CANCEL
PASS WARMER = INCREASE VALUE (by 1)
PASS COOLER = DECREASE VALUE (by 1)
WINDSHIEDL DEFOG+A/C = STORE (advance users only!!!!)

Now let’s say you are facing PCM?
If YES you will enter in the PCM menu.
If NO you will skip the PCM menu and be presented with the next one IPC?
When all modules were enumerated will be again presented in a circularly manner.
Say you are facing PCM? and you select YES. You will enter in the PCM menu. The PCM menu has submenus PCM CODES, PCM DATA and so on (depending on module). In PCM codes (or generally XXX CODES) you have the option to review the codes per module and at the end you are asked if you want to XXX CODES CLEAR? (YES/NO).
To exit a menu press CANCEL (see CANCEL as 1 level up).
Press CANCEL to EXIT PCM menu and be prompted to the next module menu.
Press CANCEL to exit the module menu and be prompted at the beginning of the diagnose mode (BULB TEST).
While in BULB test press CANCEL to exit from the diagnose mode (BULB TEST = first diagnose mode menu, 1 level up = out of Diagnose Menu). It is very logical, lot easier than programming a VCR back in the ‘80’s.
Some modules provide you access to OVERRIDES, INPUTS, OUTPUTS, there are many things you can do in Diagnose Mode, but you do need a FSM for better understanding. Basically NO mechanic has a better diagnose tool than you already have in the car (except the ones owning a genuine TECHII not some aftermarket knock out labeled as TechII compliant or what ever).

·
Registered
2001 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
912 Posts
Now for all of you DOUBTERS out there, "if you take car of her, she'll take care of you." just because you guys bought lemons, doesn't mean I have one. Old people tend to fix every friggen thing that happens to their possessions and that's what the previous owners of this eldorado did. So it is in fine shape and I expect it to last another 10+ years. DON'T TAKE OUT YOUR AGGRESSION ABOUT YOUR CAR ON ME!

Atta Boy, 97EldETC. The old foggys have good info, but need to step back a bit and quit trying to scare the heck out of your bank account. Just do remember - you take care of it and it will take care of you. :bouncy:

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,700 Posts
was not trying to scare the heck out of him or his bank account
we just wanted to let him no that when something goes wrong its not like a set of brakes on a TOyota Corola for 200 a xle at a pro shop its more like
450 per axle at a pro shop
or
if his fuel pump goes out its 900 and not 600
heck even a Oil change he needs about 2.5 qts more then most any other car on the market so thats like gona be 50-60 instead of 35 to 45 like any other car would be
so not trying to scare him just letting the new kids on the block know that
yes owning his first caddy is a joy but price comes with joy so take care of it and it will take care of him

·
Registered
1941 Fleetwood Sixty Special
3 Posts
I would like to add this to help our OP get the correct prospective on his endeavor and furure enjoyment on this car he just purchased.

When I was 16 my first car, my pride and joy, was a slightly used 1941 Cadillac model 61 fastback two door sedan. It was originally purchased new by Larry Fisher, of Fisher Body - General Motors, who kept it until around 1958. Then someone bought it, took it to Columbus, Ohio and painted it, and filled the seams between the rear fender and body - looked real shade tree. It ended up in Springfield, Ohio where I bought it for $100.00 in 1963. The car had a three-speed Lasalle box (transmission) that needed a bronze sleeve to prevent it from popping out of gear on a hard acceleration in first gear. I just held the shifter down and that worked.

This car had an guesstimated 350,000 miles on it. It had huge 16" tires (stock was 15"), and it still had that seat covers on the upholstery from when it was new. My friends, my Scouts Adviser, even my mother made fun of me and hated my car. It was a 5,000-pound monster. But, It would do over 100 miles and hour and everything worked. This did impress my Ford and Chevy friends, and this kids at school.

This was a complete car. However, I, being the curious person I was, got a manual from the library, started a collection of tools, and proceeded to remove and replace almost every part on that car. Why - cause I could. Within three months, I was pretty knowledgeable about that car and to this day I can still discuss the 1941 Cadillac with any current owner with considerable technical expertise. And it was because of this car that I became deeply interested in the automobile, the hot rod (built a few), Cadillacs (owned a few) and everything automotive. This interest served me well in the military, and in the past years of car ownership. By the way, the '41 was worn out finally, and went to a junk yard on the west side of town. They rolled it over, pulled the tranny, and crushed the rest. -- I do miss that car!

So, 97EldEtc has a new object of interest. I wish you well, and I hope that you take an interest in finding out how it works. Study it - its is a technologically advanced car for its time. Take it apart - its not that hard. Put it together, and try not to have any parts left over. Improve upon it. And finally, enjoy the heck out of it. Do not worry about resale or investment. This 1997 Cadillac Eldorado will give you enjoyment and an education that can not be purchased - only felt and earned. Someday you will find another car, either from desire, or need, that will again advance your learning regarding cars. Happy Trails. :cloud9:
I like the supportive tone of this. New to the forum and just getting a sense of the character of the responders. I have a 41 FW and might ask you a few questions if you still answer inquiries.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,423 Posts
Welcome to CF !!! This thread has been dead for about 8 years and the member you quoted has not logged in for over 6 months. Hover over a member's avatar to see other data.

We do have a Classic Cadillac forum, s you may have some luck there - but it's a very quiet forum.

·
Registered
'72 Eldorado Convertible, '97 Eldorado ETC, '93 Fleetwood
1,024 Posts
also, for a vintage Cadillac, you'll probably get better results on the Cadillac & LaSalle Club forum.

Actually, at that age of far, you should be a member!

In all seriousness, there are people there that aren't just familiar, but will explain the differences between, say, a '40 and '41 off the cuff . . .

(whereas for a Northstar and later, I suggest folks there look here. Even 4.5 and 4.9. For 4.1, I suggest a priest, pray that God have mercy on their souls :eek: )

41 - 53 of 53 Posts