Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I havent looked into searching for it but what is the solution for the mean "clunk" feeling/noise. It looks like this has happened to a few. Briefly, engaging the clutch to put into gear at a stop, Cruising mid to high gear and then hitting the gas, and down shifting and letting the clutch out. It just feels like everything is fine untill the driveshaft goes to the rear diff.

Is the BMR pinion support brace the answer? or do I need some kind of the replacement bushing for the rear?

Thanks in advance,
Morgan Clarke

·
Registered
2005 Black CTS-V
500 Posts
It's very common and it does get annoying. The BMR support does help w/ about 85-90% of the clunking.

I've installed it on mine and it does make it feel a little more solid, but there is still some clunk in a few situations.. Like going up hill in 1st or 2nd slowly and pressing the clutch in..CLUNK. But overall, well worth the money in other situations :D

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
One option is to do nothing, which is what I have done. You can minimzie the effects of the clunk by easing out the clutch differently both from a dead stop and when downshifting. In other words you can decrease the clunk with practice. I do not experience the clunk anymore because I have adpated to a driving style that avoids it altogether. My driving, however, is limited to the street.

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
13,986 Posts
Welcome to V ownership. :highfive:

Personally, I shift carefully to avoid the dreaded "clunk" but occasionally hear it anyway. Get a UUC lightened flywheel (get rid of the dual-mass flywheel) and a KARS kit or BMR kit, then shift as if you're trying to simulate an automatic trans. If that doesn't work, take Florian's advice. :)

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
Oh yeah, one more thing. You really need to join this forum so you continue to get advice that is clear, concise, and consistent.

·
Registered
Cadillac
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the advice to everyone. As far as just running the car with its clunk, I have been for about two weeks. Its very obvious that you can kind of "baby" the clutch and gear shifting, but it affects the whole car when you really want to drive it. I am consciously feeling like I have to be fragile with it because I dont want to feel or hear the clunk. I have the anti-wheel hop bar under it already, and I will get the pinion support now. I am curious as to how to eliminate the problem 100%. Should I machine out custom bushings with a stronger composite, maybe Delrin?

I love the car to death and really have no complaints that come up execept THIS! (and maybe the cupholders and cig. lighter location. lol) It's pretty cool to see so many owners come on here. Good job guys and any advice is better than none.

Thanks,
Morgan Clarke

·
Registered
228 Posts
If it's not a new car (and even if it is), have the dealer check it out. There is some amount of "parade clunck" as they call it, but I had a loose transmission mount (or so they said) that made mine clunk every time I was on the gas or let off. Whatever they did, brought it back to normal.

Now that you know you can get all kinds of info here, go pay the man. The Supporting Member man. It took me a while to do it as well, but I sleep so much better at night now :yawn: .

·
Registered
05 Stealth Gray V
1,567 Posts
Now that you know you can get all kinds of info here, go pay the man. The Supporting Member man. .
:yeah:

Welcome from SWFL :thumbsup:

and for me the clunk for me is worse in the morning for the first 15 minutes or so. They I get my revs up and shifting at 3k makes it go away.

·
Registered
2015 BMUU 335i MSport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)
25,514 Posts
Greetings and :welcome: to the V and the Cadi forum.

You need headers and WOT. Then you can't really hear that clunk :D ;)

·
Registered
Cadillac
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
...thanks for the info. I do have kooks headers and full Corsa exhaust. I want intake but I'm in the process of getting my rims, grill, and a couple misc. things powdered black.

·
Registered
2005 Black CTS-V
500 Posts

Welcome from SWFL :thumbsup:

and for me the clunk for me is worse in the morning for the first 15 minutes or so. They I get my revs up and shifting at 3k makes it go away.

Mine does the same thing, too.. Wonder what the hell is up with that? Car warms up a little, the clunk diminishes ??

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS V
118 Posts
The pinion support bushing on the V is very weak, hence the BMR replacement support, however if the stock bushing is new and not torn as many are, the clunk should be minimal. If you have a warranty go to the dealer, show them the clunky dirveline and ask them to check/replace that bushing, I almost do it at every oil change, so far they have been torn twice, and once it was loose and needed tightening. Like I said there is still a clunk, but it is greatly reduced when this bushing is still in good shape or relatively new. It's not a big repair, mine was done in like 15 minutes, and at least my dealer has plenty of these bushings in stock, which should tell you something.

·
Registered
'05 LS6 V Stealth Grey; '14 Z71 SLT Sierra 1500 Stealth Grey
2,821 Posts
Welcome. 3 posts and into Mod hell. Nice. I have found that by releasing the clutch slow and gentile in almost all aplications definately helps with the clunking.

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
I do not experience the clunk anymore because I have adpated to a driving style that avoids it altogether.

I love the car to death and really have no complaints that come up execept THIS! (and maybe the cupholders and cig. lighter location. lol)
you forgot the lack of a sunglasses holder in the roof console (unlike every single other car I have been in the last 10 years)

Now that you know you can get all kinds of info here, go pay the man. The Supporting Member man.
:yeah: to help us avoid
:jimmy:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts