Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Thunder Gray Chromaflair CTS-V coupe
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent 8 hours yesterday detailing my V. Foam gun wash; rinse with CR Spotless de-ionizer; removed some scratches with orange pad on Porter Cable buffer and Meguiars M105; removed some "rough" areas with white pad and M205; polished entire car with gray pad with M205. Wiped car down with isopropyl alcohol; finished with S100 wax. Cleaned stains off wheels with Menzerna Intensive polish and then coated wheels with Zaino Z2. Did tires with Tuff-Shine clear coat (X3). Polished tailpipes with Mothers Aluminum.

Lot of work, but worth it.

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
looks great!... i want red calipers too. have you considered tinting the reverse lights?
Anyone have a "to do" on how to tint the reverse lights? I bought the other tinted lights from a "vendor who no longer exists".

Mike

·
Registered
2005 Platinum CTS V-Headers+3in pipes
3,012 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Looks sickly!!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
why did you do this? looks great
It removes the oils left from the polishing agents. Lets you see if the scratches or swirls etc. are actually removed or just visually filled in with oil. After the alcohol wipe, you see what is actually still there.

If scratches/swirls are still there, go to a more aggressive abrasive polish/pad.

Hardcore attempt for more perfect paint.

Mike

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, Black
2,165 Posts
Never heard of the alcohol thing either, but that makes sense. Sounds kind of scary though...I guess because I'm so used to trying to keep sh!t like that off my car instead of on.

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
14,074 Posts
Sounds a bit like an infomercial, but results look extraordinary! Gorgeous!

·
Banned
05 CTS-V
889 Posts
the alcohol is a little trick us detailer know about! lol

looks great man

·
Registered
Platinum 2004 CTS-V
4,914 Posts
I think Randy said it once......

Nothing looks better than clean Black....but nothing looks worse than Dirty Black!

Looks excellent :2thumbs:

·
Registered
Cadillac
188 Posts
I think Randy said it once......

Nothing looks better than clean Black....but nothing looks worse than Dirty Black!

Looks excellent :2thumbs:
EXCEPT for platinum which always looks great.:gun: But seriously looks great black out your grille and keep the trim chrome and your car will be AMAZING! nOT THAT IT ISNT NOW OR ANYTHING.:cool:

·
Registered
'05 LS6 V Stealth Grey; '14 Z71 SLT Sierra 1500 Stealth Grey
2,821 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Cadillac CTS V
52 Posts
Looks really sweet. Black is tuff but worth it. Where in Jax are you? I'm up in Kingsland. There's a few of us up here and we come down for the Cars and Coffee. It's this Saturday. Caddieblk shows up to. Maybe we'll see there.

·
Registered
Silver '05 V
1,238 Posts
MSOsr, car is lookin sharp. If you're ever bored, pm me, my V could use a polish :D

m3andak, I'll be out of town this weekend for wedding. Won't be back till end of July. JAX Vs need a meeting in August.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I did the same thing. Tried to get all of the Salt off my car.
Couldn't afford the detail man this year thanks to the pay cuts, so I had to do it myself.
Clay bar and zaino

·
Registered
2004 Cadillac CTS V
52 Posts
Can't believe getting together could be this difficult let me know when and we will work this out cadiblk.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nicely done! Very good idea to use a clay bar if there are contaminants in your paint. Preps the paint to be highly polished.

Very nice job!

Mike

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Thanks,
I've been aching to get this done all winter. Especially after the dealership did me a huge "favor" and sent the V through their car wash. Swirl City!
I washed thoroughly the night before and spent the whole 4th working on it.
By hand I might add, I sure miss the PC, it really saves time!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts