Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
07 Black on Black V
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After many years of owning other brands, in 05 I decided to give Cadillac a chance vs BMW. I bought a 05 CTS Lux/Sport. It now has 38,000 miles and is in like new condition. I recently decided to trade for a STS-V.

The dealer tells me my Cadi is now only worth 13K in trade. $25,800 depreciation since July 05. Wow, in two more years the car won't be worth the price of towing it to the junk yard.

Anyone else as happy about the value of their vehicle as I am?

·
Registered
04 CTS SPORT/LUX W/NAVI LIGHT PLATINUM ON BLACK- COOL MODS!
1,313 Posts
This is exactly why im planning to sell my fully loaded 04 very soon. Need to get something out of it while i still can.

·
Registered
Cadillac
376 Posts
Trades in's are horrible now....

Okay compare that trade in value to a bmw 330i(4 door) with 40k on it... Its about the same.

So I don't know what your complaining about.

But I just buy used... but if your going to buy new make sure you get a big discount on that STS-V. Gm is handing me like 3k on a gm card plus other incentives.

Here is a STS-V with 7k on it for 46k... Thats like 6k under blue book trade in. Thats how desparate some car dealers are so they can't offer top dollar for trade ins.

http://autos.yahoo.com/used-cars/ca...ype=used&model=sts&make=cadillac&distance=300

Tell them 43k - 13k = A sweet sts-v for 30k out the door.

http://www.rinkecadillac.com/

I would call in and say here's the deal 30k plus my car... yes or no? Thats how I do things. Hell that is such a nice deal I am considering it :)

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6L VVT
1,062 Posts
thats the joy of owning an american car!

depends on what bmw you compared the cts.

I always like the american car because its much more easier to find a shop that can work on your car compared to others. Also, its much easier for a DIY guy. Also, parts are cheaper. Ask the dealer hor much for a 5l40e transmission that goes on your caddy and then ask the bmw dealer for the same transmission.

Cost of insurrance is cheaper (in montreal though) 850$ a year full + hotel + chemical products delivery + 50k miles a year for my caddy fully vs 1600$ for a bmw 3 series of the same thing.

Also, and that one I'm not sure about it, since the CTS has a new body since 2008, I guess the previous generation took a drop + whats happening in the economy.

·
Registered
05 CTS
434 Posts
I just did the same thing not too long ago...twice. I laughed walking out the door..b/c they wouldnt even give me 15k for mine. 15k? I do have 54k miles on it....but it's top dog......I have the stock rims with brand new tires I was even going to put back on for them.

I was going to trade in for a 2009 Hyundai Sonata...no bullshit..lol. They have so many good offerings right now..I could hop into a brand new one for like 16k...I owe 15,500 on mine. a new car...for 16k out the door? for what I'm paying now? I was there...I have a Sante Fe, and it's been one of the best damn cars I've ever owned..

I was ready to make a deal...this fool tells me they'd give me between 9k-11k. I said...'for what'? I didnt bring my Ford Focus up here.....

So..I walked out...9k to 11k??? Wow....shocked, but pissed.

But yes....these ******* car dealers dont even want to work with you...and just like I told him....Yea..I see how it is...what I have is shit...what you have is gold.

Let me edit too....I still have a 100k mile warranty...or 'Cadillac Certified' they call it....he didnt care.....said they'd put their own warranty on it, and I'd most likely get some of my dough back off it......lol

·
Registered
The Mighty Kael, 2004 Black CTS, Every Option
2,432 Posts
they were trying to rip you catdawg. good thing that you walked out.

guys, this is pretty standard over the entire used luxury market.
you drive it off the lot and you just lost a quarter or the value.
try checking out what happens to the mercedes c32 amg. you can pick those up slightly used for 25k.
thats just the nature of luxury cars.
Hell, I got my 2004 all cts with every option for that year (except for the v package) and I mean everything, for like 25k.
I bought it in 2005 with 20k on the odometer, the car was about 50k new.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I can't believe that people buying new cars would complain about resale value. Is this your first time buying anything new?? If so, then you just learned an expensive lesson.

Also, with the whole, "sell it before it loses all value", wake up!, the value holds well after a few years, so your car will be holding at around where it is for at least a couple years.

Wow, wait until you see the loss you are going to take on that STS-V!

·
Registered
2006 CTS 2.8L
2,471 Posts
why does the "value" of the car have to always be resale value to you guys? the value of my car is the fact that is runs fine and gets me to where i need to be. why do you need to sell your car every 2, 3 years? can you not make it last longer? that is the TRUE value of the car.

but i'm only 25 so what do i know about investments? well, i know that the only investment you can have in a car is if it's a collectible. and even then it's not always a guarantee. if you want equity, buy a house. they tend to keep their value.

·
Registered
07 Black on Black V
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Trades in's are horrible now....

Okay compare that trade in value to a bmw 330i(4 door) with 40k on it... Its about the same.

So I don't know what your complaining about.

:)

The CTS compairs to a BMW 530i (not a 330i), which has a value of between 22,800 to 26,800. The value of a CTS is listed 15,300 to 21,700, but max offer from dealer is 13K.

The "Complaint" is after Cadillac spends their hype (J.D. Power suveys, etc.) about how improved their product is, the bottom line is value-Cadillac does not stand the test of retained value. I gave GM another shot in 05, and once again discoved the "Joy" still is not there for the American Car business. Hell, my KIA Sorento retains more value than the CTS.

·
Registered
Cadillac
376 Posts
the 530I cost another 10-15k when new so it better have a higher resale value...

And sorry I don't know who your talking too but have you ever traded a Kia in? The dealer will give you a bowl of soup for them.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
LashCTS, if you want to compare the CTS with a BMW, you have to compare it against the bmw 3series, not the 5 series.

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
"LOL" at you guys trying to change an already made up mind

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
they were trying to rip you catdawg. good thing that you walked out.

guys, this is pretty standard over the entire used luxury market.
you drive it off the lot and you just lost a quarter or the value.
try checking out what happens to the mercedes c32 amg. you can pick those up slightly used for 25k.
thats just the nature of luxury cars.
Hell, I got my 2004 all cts with every option for that year (except for the v package) and I mean everything, for like 25k.
I bought it in 2005 with 20k on the odometer, the car was about 50k new.
If youve got deep enough pockets for potential problems out of warranty, you can find some mighty good deals on some high end luxury cars...Ive seen a cl65 less then 2 years old go for $50k. Beastily engine!

·
Registered
Cadillac
376 Posts
I am just trying to inform him about the real world.

A 530 new runs like 55-60 fricking K(way overpriced but the germans make great markup on BMW's)... who the F compares that to a cts.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
wow! Thats expensive for an 05!

Here in montreal, the same car is about 16k-18k$ CAN.

·
Registered
CTS
303 Posts
After many years of owning other brands, in 05 I decided to give Cadillac a chance vs BMW. I bought a 05 CTS Lux/Sport. It now has 38,000 miles and is in like new condition. I recently decided to trade for a STS-V.

The dealer tells me my Cadi is now only worth 13K in trade. $25,800 depreciation since July 05. Wow, in two more years the car won't be worth the price of towing it to the junk yard.

Anyone else as happy about the value of their vehicle as I am?
I am thrilled with mine actually. Bought a three year old 2006, 30k, sports package for $14,500. Some poor sod had $25k of depreciation before I bought it.

Oh well, one man's poison and all that. :lildevil:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts