Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my JL Audio Clean Sweep and I am soooo anxious to install it with my new amps and a sub. I have noticed a lot of confusion on where I can tap into for the 12v accessory remote turn on. Some say under the seat(doesnt seem easy to find), others say by the battery(heard it ruined a guys tranny), so what and where is the spot I want to tie into?? I will be takin pics of the install so that I can post for others to see. Also, where did you guys take the power cable thru the engine compartment?:banghead: Is there a rubber grommet somewhere?? Anyone still have a diagram of the speakers going into and out of the stock amp, as I will be bypassing the amp and using all those wires?? Well wish me luck I will let you guys know who it goes....:yup:

Mike

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts
The easiest circuit to tap into for the 12v turn on lead is under the rear seat. It's very easy to find. Just pull the bottom cushion off and open the driver side rear fuse box. There is a fuse labelled CCP (Climate Control Panel) that is 12v switched. Just piggy back off that fuse and that's it.

For power, there is a large grommet (about 4.5" diam) on the driver's side firewall to the left of the steering column. You will see an inner grommet (about 4" diam) that you can pry off with a flat head. This will expose the inside of the grommet. Just cut a small slit to pass the power wire through and the rest is simple.

PM me your e-mail so I can send you harness illustrations of the amp. Also include if you have the Bose or base system.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'd love to know how an iPod connected to the AUX INPUT of the JL Audio Clean Sweep works. Would it be possible to just hit the "source" button on the factory radio and now have access to an iPod connected to the Clean Sweep's AUX INPUT?

thanks!

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts
FlyFlip420 said:
I click on your name to send a PM and it says I dont have permission to do that. My email is *removed* and I have the non bose system. Thanks for all your help, as I said before "YOU ARE THE MAN":dance::dance:

Mike
E-mail sent.

One more thing, keep in mind that the only full range outputs from the factory amp are the rear mid ranges. The subs, front midrange, and tweeters are all crossed over in the factory amp. The left and right signals (low level) going into the amp are full range but if you tap into these with the Clean Sweep, you will lose the factory volume and balance control and will need to use the Clean Sweep's master volume. You will likely also lose OnStar and Chimes.

An alternative would be to tap into the rear mid ranges (high level) with the Clean Sweep and retain factory volume control. A possible problem with this is that if Onstar and Chimes are only fed through the front speakers, you wouldn't hear them. If they are fed through all speakers, you should be fine. Unfortunately, I don't know how the CTS's amp handles these signals.

EDIT: I just went into the garage and verified that Chimes and OnStar only get fed into the front speakers so tapping into only the rear speaker signals with the Clean Sweep would mean losing both of these features.

With both these methods, you will lose factory fade control. Both also use the Clean Sweep in 2-channel input mode.

If you want to guarantee that fade, balance, factory volume, OnStar, and Chimes all work, I would re-mix the front tweeters and midranges signals (high level) together into a stereo signal and feed this into the Clean Sweep. Also feed the rear midranges(high level) into the Clean Sweep. Set the Clean Sweep to 4 channel mode.

·
Registered
CTS
112 Posts
lol sorry for sounding like a newb.

I did this with my previous car by running a hi- low converter off the rear speakers.

I notice that i can also run a hi to low converter off the rear sub straight to a set of RCAS now i do not have the bose, but i am curious what you guys mean by Clean Sweep: is it a product? or brand?

btw i have a non bose setup, but will be running An ARC audio amp with a Flat line sub, thanks

·
Registered
05 3.6 CTS MT
404 Posts
i used the rear outputs to go into my aftermarket amp, wired up a single 3" speaker for the fronts for onstar and chimes and whatnot and stuck it in the hole right in the center of the dash.. almost like a center channel but i keeep it faded back anyway. but onstar does work and i hear chimes. just an fyi about that small spot there.

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts
newton said:
i used the rear outputs to go into my aftermarket amp, wired up a single 3" speaker for the fronts for onstar and chimes and whatnot and stuck it in the hole right in the center of the dash.. almost like a center channel but i keeep it faded back anyway. but onstar does work and i hear chimes. just an fyi about that small spot there.
In your case you tapped into the front speaker signals with seperate speaker so the chimes and OnStar work. The factory amp ignores balance and fade settings when it switches to OnStar or dings a chime. The amp also has seperate volume settings for chimes and OnStar. That is why you still have those even though you fade your audio all the way to the rear. Normally, when OnStar and chimes are inactive you will not hear any audio from your "center speaker" since you have it faded to the rear. When the amp activates the OnStar input or plays a chime, it will ignore the fade settings and send the audio signals from either of these sources to the front channels and you will hear them

Regardless, this is a good way to workaround the loss of chimes and OnStar should you decide to tap the rear speakers signals or low level outputs from the headunit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts