Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2002 Seville STS F55, 2006 Mazda Miata
22,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd been going through Craigslist ads for weeks until the right one finally showed up. I drove out to look at several and they were either broken or poorly maintained. Finally, for $20 I scored a Technics with manual cueing.

The guy wanted to meet up in a Walgreens parking lot which I thought was strange. He was a few minutes late (he hadn't replied to my email confirming the time so I just drove out there anyway). He assured me that it worked and I handed him the cash.

It was a bit unusual since most Craigslist sellers just have you come to their place to check out the equipment. I guess this is how some gay guys meet up? Fortunately, I didn't have to tap my feet in a restroom stall to get my turntable.

Needs a good cleaning.

Stopped at Radio Shack and got a bunch of connectors to make my own ground wire.

Mess of wires back there. The phono connector on my amp still sounds very nice. Hasn't been used since the late 90s.

I'm very pleased with the results. It produces a relaxed, full sound. I forgot how interactive the listening experience was: manually resting the needle to select songs, flipping the disc, and parking the needle with finished. My dad's Technics player has an automatic cueing system that placed the needle automatically at the beginning of a record and parked it when it was finished.

·
Registered
Hyundai Elantra
18,816 Posts
How did I know you'd have a WHAM record?? :rolleyes: We still have a record player but I haven't had the chance to toy with it. It's in the basement in a box somewhere.

·
Registered
1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)
5,545 Posts
How did I know you'd have a WHAM record?? :rolleyes: We still have a record player but I haven't had the chance to toy with it. It's in the basement in a box somewhere.
You will have to get that out. In August I can bring over all my Styx albums. :bouncy:

·
Registered
77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB
10,022 Posts
Nice to know there are other people who like obsolete technology. I still enjoy playing a record or two on my Magavox console AM/FM stereo phonograph (plays 33-1/3, 45, 78, and 16 [?!?] rpm records). It sounds great, even if it is almost 50 years old. And when I really want the old school experience, I crank up the Victrola. :)

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Cool! I really enjoy vinyl. To me, playing records vs CD's is like driving a manual trans car vs automatic.

I'd reccomend picking up the proper tool for setting the arm weight, otherwise you'll ruin the records. Also, I'd change out the cart, who knows how long that one has been on there. You really can't beat a Grado Black for the price, slap that on, adjust the arm and enjoy the vinyl. All of the above can be bought from AudioAdvisor.

IMO nothing sounds quite like a brand new record. Many people are surprised to see you can still buy new records, I've got lots of new music on records. Try to find a (real) record store, you can get used records for cheap and they usually have new ones. For me the nearest are in Atlanta, all 3 of them... so I'll make a little trip out of it.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Cool! I really enjoy vinyl. To me, playing records vs CD's is like driving a manual trans car vs automatic.

I'd reccomend picking up the proper tool for setting the arm weight, otherwise you'll ruin the records. Also, I'd change out the cart, who knows how long that one has been on there. You really can't beat a Grado Black for the price, slap that on, adjust the arm and enjoy the vinyl. All of the above can be bought from AudioAdvisor.

IMO nothing sounds quite like a brand new record. Many people are surprised to see you can still buy new records, I've got lots of new music on records. Try to find a (real) record store, you can get used records for cheap and they usually have new ones. For me the nearest are in Atlanta, all 3 of them... so I'll make a little trip out of it.
It's so funny that you mention that because Jesda was JUST telling me earlier he was considering a Grado black, and THEN he linked me over to AudioAdvisor for some revealing LP vs. CD charts and graphs.

·
Registered
2000 Seville STS
985 Posts
Grado Blacks are great! Just look out for the Grado Hum (some turntables do, some don't), my table (Thorens TD-165) hums a bit. I'll find a way to shield the motor in the near future.

·
Super Moderator
22,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I went to The Record Exchange on Hamilton and Eichelberger in St Louis. They moved into a former public library so the place is HUGE. Wall to wall and roof to floor is stuffed with vinyl, CDs, cassettes, video games, and vintage hi-fi.

Why hello there, twin.

I got lost for several hours in there. I barely got through 2% of their massive collection. My legs were getting tired from kneeling and standing, so I forced myself to pay and leave before I ended up buying the whole store.

Even the BATHROOM was full of records!

I grabbed a crate and thumbed through them while I pooped.

DJ and home turntables, reel to reel tape recorders, amps, speakers, and musical instruments.

Got 15 records for about $2 a piece. Most were $1 and some were $6. All sound great so far.

I also spent about $30 on eBay last night and bought The Carpenters, Lionel Richie, The Supremes, Tears for Fears, The Miracles, and couple others. Buying locally is a lot cheaper.

My hood no longer stays up. :(

This is turning into a highly enjoyable, very affordable little hobby. I need "Pet Sounds" by The Beach Boys,

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Heh, I've got that same Toto album.... and Tears for Fears.

Maybe if you enjoy if so much, you'll get into home audio ;) the vintage stuff is really cool! I've got some extra gear laying around ;)

My table is a friction-drive BSR 810 Transcription (their top line model, circa 1974 from England) with worn out Shure M19ED.

Friction drive isn't used much. More common are belt and direct drive... friction drive works very similar to a snowblower drive system, the worst part about the design is the added noise floor, which can be heard between 6-12s in the clip, once the music comes in tho it is no longer an issue. The spring on that system failed, which I repaired with the spring from a ball-point pen. The whole thing is an overly complex overhead-cam "stick it to the world" contraption from a company that was otherwise known for making junk. I like it.

The underside of the thing is a mess of cams, levers, rods, gears, springs, weights and anything else they could throw in there. If it breaks, there really isn't much that can be done. You can see the friction drive disc, when you push the selector for either 33 or 45 rpm, it moves the disc between the thick and thin portion of the motor shaft, the entire shaft is tapered, and adjusting the pitch control finely moves that drive disc up and down the motor shaft. What does the drive disc turn? The inner lip of the heavy 8lbs aluminum platter. That spring is what keeps tension on the whole thing, thats what failed, and then fixed.

I'm a dork when it comes to the oddest things...

·
Super Moderator
22,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I hope to never service any of my old electronics. When they die, I'll give them away and find another one. The belts on turntables seem easy enough, but I'd probably just dump it at a repair shop and let them deal with it, if such a shop still exists.
My Technics amp is solid state, so that should last another bajillion years without issues. The only thing that's died is the yellow light behind the tuner display. It cast a soft warm glow that I haven't seen from it in in 15 or so years.

A lot of the fun in vintage audio, for me, is being able to get so much quality for ridiculously little money. Its hard to pass on a $3000 McIntosh amp after hearing a demo at a store, but that wouldn't be fun. Buying up old hardware is like cheating the system.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Yeah, there are many great deals out there, and you can get alot of stuff for a very good price. Like many things, the vintage home audio gear was just built to a much higher standard then stuff is today. Once it all started going mass market, quality went down. As far as 2-channel is concerned, the old stuff is just as good as the new stuff. I got into the home theater stuff once, and the formats/channels keep getting updated like computer technology.

Take for example, my Sansui AU-517 - vintage audio p0rn.

Any pictures of the rest of your system?

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Yeah, there are many great deals out there, and you can get alot of stuff for a very good price. Like many things, the vintage home audio gear was just built to a much higher standard then stuff is today. Once it all started going mass market, quality went down. As far as 2-channel is concerned, the old stuff is just as good as the new stuff. I got into the home theater stuff once, and the formats/channels keep getting updated like computer technology.

Take for example, my Sansui AU-517 - vintage audio p0rn.

Any pictures of the rest of your system?
That's the nice thing about 2 channel. Every audiophile on the planet will tell you classic 2 Channel gear sounds better than ANY multichannel system money can buy. I got into the multichannel stuff at a time once as well, I had an Marantz THX Certified pre-amp and a whole bunch of other stuff but I just wasn't satisfied with the music quality of it all, it was pretty much made for multichannel cinema and that's it.

I was looking at high end turntables today on ebay, there's actually one out there right now that has some kind of crazy COMPRESSED AIR drive with air storage tanks that sit outboard! Not even sure what the advantage is.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts