Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
7,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HRS posted a bit on this vehicle awhile ago in the "When will the chinese buy out GM" thread or whatever it was called. Ran across these pics today:

The JiangLing Landwind was displayed at the Frankfurt Motor Show last week and is expected to arrive in British showrooms within months. It is already on sale in Holland, Germany and Belgium and has been billed as the vanguard of a new invasion of Chinese vehicles.
The two-ton 4x4 scored zero stars in crash tests last week by the ADAC, the German automobile club, which carries out tests for Euro NCAP. “It had a catastrophic result,” said a spokesman for the ADAC. “In our 20-year history no car has performed as badly.”
Testers calculated that a driver would be unlikely to survive a head-on collision at 40mph, and in a side-on collision at 30mph the driver would suffer severe head and chest injuries due to a lack of side protection.
“This car seems to belong in the 1990s in terms of engineering,” said Chris Patience, head of technical policy at the AA Motoring Trust. “We will wait for the official Euro NCAP results, but if it really is that bad we hope people will think very carefully before buying this car.”

·
Banned
7,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Jiangling Landwing SUV: Talk about a deathtrap

Oops I screwed up the title and put Landwing instead of Landwind. My mistake.

Those videos almost make me sick to my stomach, that's frickin horrible.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts

My 10 year old Rover 114 outscores that, and it was taken off the market because it fell to pieces in crashes!

1 Star :)

"In February 1998, shortly after poor performances in NCAP Crash Tests, Rover withdrew the 100 from production. It marked the end of nearly 18 years of production, during which time the Metro had proved itself to be one of the most important British cars of all time."

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/kitcar/kb.php?aid=71

·
Registered
11,694 Posts

"“This car seems to belong in the 1990s in terms of engineering,” said Chris Patience, head of technical policy at the AA Motoring Trust. “We will wait for the official Euro NCAP results, but if it really is that bad we hope people will think very carefully before buying this car.”

Well DUH... It uses a design that dates back to the early nineties, probably put to paper in the late eighties. No surprise here, the Honda Passport and Isuzu Rodeo were good little trucks for the years they were sold here (and If im not mistaken the Rodeo is still being produced), but uhh yea, they arent 2005 levels of safety by anyones standards.

·
Registered
16,105 Posts

The thing about the new Chinese vehicles out there now is that they will be getting better and better and better, and their time to get better will be cut in half of what it took the Koreans to do it because the Koreans copied the Japanese, and now the Chinese will simply take all the Japanese and Korean technology and build on that. So RAPIDLY the Chinese vehicles will get better.......given some time. The first wave of cheap Chinese cars will not be quality, they will be for volume sales to make a name for themselves, THEN comes the quality, much like what the Hyundai Pony evolved into.

The Trooper was one on the worse rated vehicles that I recall reading about. The thing literally collapsed in an impact.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts

Do the US, Canadian, or UK governments (trying to cover all the bases here) have rules about the minimum safety requirements in stars or anything like that? I mean, if these so called "SUV's" (more like DUV, Death Utility Vehicle) were actually sold in America, the idiot driving would crash it, then sue the Chinese manufacturer, and there would be a wonderful public outcry and backlash against the Chinese company. The media attention would be terrible publicity for the 2 days it's on the air before we got tired of it and moved on to something else.....

·
Registered
11,694 Posts

Thats a good question... and by no means am I saying that the Jiangling version is IDENTICAL to the Rodeo and Passport safety-wise, but I mean theres only so much you can reinforce or change.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts

I d on't see what the problem is...? My knees look like that in just about ANY vehicle! 7'0 ain't easy, folks! :)

I posted this once already...but my computer sucks and it didn't show up...

·
Registered
5,929 Posts

Isuzu Rodeo's last model year here was last year, 2004.

Playdrv4me said:
"“This car seems to belong in the 1990s in terms of engineering,” said Chris Patience, head of technical policy at the AA Motoring Trust. “We will wait for the official Euro NCAP results, but if it really is that bad we hope people will think very carefully before buying this car.”
Well DUH... It uses a design that dates back to the early nineties, probably put to paper in the late eighties. No surprise here, the Honda Passport and Isuzu Rodeo were good little trucks for the years they were sold here (and If im not mistaken the Rodeo is still being produced), but uhh yea, they arent 2005 levels of safety by anyones standards.

·
Banned
7,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Ralph said:
So RAPIDLY the Chinese vehicles will get better.......given some time. The first wave of cheap Chinese cars will not be quality, they will be for volume sales to make a name for themselves, THEN comes the quality, much like what the Hyundai Pony evolved into.
The Trooper was one on the worse rated vehicles that I recall reading about. The thing literally collapsed in an impact.
Sorry Ralph that's the dumbest thing ever. WTF kind of business model is "we can build quality, but we're going to flood the market with pieces of absolute SHIT so people think all we can produce is pieces of shit." Worst business plan ever. Hyundai is actually making a couple decent, non pos cars now but they still have the stigma of POS from 10 years ago. That stigma isn't going to go away for another decade no matter if Hyundai makes the highest quality vehicles on the market. It's the same way with GM, GM made crap in the 80s and some into the early 90s, and though they've been back up to par for awhile they're still paying the price for the crap they sold 20 years ago.

·
Registered
16,105 Posts

davesdeville said:
Sorry Ralph that's the dumbest thing ever. WTF kind of business model is "we can build quality, but we're going to flood the market with pieces of absolute SHIT so people think all we can produce is pieces of shit." Worst business plan ever. Hyundai is actually making a couple decent, non pos cars now but they still have the stigma of POS from 10 years ago. That stigma isn't going to go away for another decade no matter if Hyundai makes the highest quality vehicles on the market. It's the same way with GM, GM made crap in the 80s and some into the early 90s, and though they've been back up to par for awhile they're still paying the price for the crap they sold 20 years ago.
It is what they do. Actually, it is a smart business plan because they will make a ton of money off of the first wave. Were the first Hyundais quality?? No. Did they care?? No. Will they learn and get better just like Hyundai?? Yes. Will the company take the earnings from the first new cars and re-invest into the future quality.....yes. Hyundai has a better reputation that you give them credit for right now. History IS repeating itself with the Chinese and they are taking the shortcuts to get there, just like the Koreans did on the backs of the Japanese. It's also no secret that the first-year for any new model car is stereotyped to "be avoided," and I don't see why that wouldn't apply with the first wave of Chinese cars that will be arriving in North America. It will apply, but people will line up to buy them because they will be cheap and good on fuel, for example. "Dumbest thing ever?" Sorry, history wouldn't agree in this situation. Toyota was laughed at too in the very early 1970's.

The "stigma" may not go away for another 10 years like you say, but just like with Cadillac, the quality is there now whether people really like to admit it or not, even though much of that is based on personal experience and personal preference with brands. OVERALL, the quality is there, and in most cases it takes time to get there. Look at your crash article. Does it look like they put a lot of money and engineering into safety?? They will get better, and that's the main point.

This thread is not so much about Hyundai as the Chinese, but here is something to ponder regarding Hyundai quality, and the Chinese will follow suit.......

[URL=http://imageshack.us][/URL]

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
17 Participants
mccombie_5