Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac cts 3.2 luxury sports edition
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i own a 2003 CTS 3.2 luxury sports edition automatic transmission and it has been being weird. every time i come to a complete stop and go to take off and i accelerate pretty good on the pedal it will hesitate or jerk 3 times when shifting from the 1st gear to second gear but if i baby it it doesn't do it, plus it also never does it in the mornings it only happens when i get my car warmed up after driving about 9 miles and it sets for 8 hours in sun then drive 9 miles back then i starts happening PLEASE list ideas or what you think could be wrong been stressing about it and i just recently bought the car 3 months ago

----------

144k miles on it

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,022 Posts
Re: Need help please read (03 cts)

(1) A brief description of the problem in the subject line of the thread will help attract responses from people browsing the forum who might have some expertise or similar experience. A subject line like "Need help please read" doesn't give anyone any idea what the thread is about.
(2) Using punctuation will help communicate your thoughts more clearly.

Now, with the editorial comments out of the way... Did this problem just start happening? Is it only on the 1-2 shift? Do you know the service history of the car (specifically, has the tranny fluid ever been changed)?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes it just started happening after I got the oil changed in it and yes it's only first and second it doesn't do it in any other gear. and no I do not know the last transmission fluid change in it I've owned the car for about two and a half months now and I'm not sure how to check my transmission oil either all I know is my dashboard says a hundred percent transmission oil life. only happens when it warms up to

but I don't think the oil change has anything to do with it

and when I bought it off the dealership it was a small dealership to be specific he said hell I don't know when the last oil change was in it

·
Registered
2006 3.6L CTS, Hotchkis Sway Bars, FE2
526 Posts
and when I bought it off the dealership it was a small dealership to be specific he said hell I don't know when the last oil change was in it
Just make sure the car is properly filled full of oil. If the dealership doesn't know when the last oil change was done then the transmission fluid and filter hasn't been changed in a long time. Probably the same for the rear differential. Get the transmission fluid and filter changed and the rear differential gear oil changed. Then come back to us with an update. Almost positive the transmission fluid is probably browner than shit.

·
Registered
CTS
256 Posts
Could be the tranny fluid being dirty, or being low, I had very similar problems when mine was a bit low, make sure to take it to a shop though, you can't fill it through a spout like most cars you have to actually pump it up into the transmission.

Could also be a bad TPS/throttle body, are you getting any codes at all? Could also be a TCM issue.

Hard to say without more information/any OBDII codes though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no codes i took my throttle body off and cleaned it with CRC still haven't solved the issue and i check the oil and changed the oil 2 weeks ago i put 5 quarts in it. but im leaning towards changing the atf and differential now i appreciate all the help you guys are giving me

·
Registered
CTS 3.6L 2005 80,000 Miles
983 Posts
"hesitate or jerk 3 times when shifting from the 1st gear to second gear " what do you mean by this. Does it hesitate while changing .. ie rpms reach shift point but doesn't immediately shift but sorta revs for a second before engaging, or do you mean as the rpms climb before it shifts the rpms will drop sort of like in a fuel starve situation

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,022 Posts
I wouldn't think a throttle relearn was necessary, as it sounded like he just pulled off the TB, cleaned it, then reinstalled it. I could be wrong, but I would think the relearn would only be necessary if he actually changed out the TB.

·
Registered
'07 CTS 3.6
2,937 Posts
I wouldn't think a throttle relearn was necessary, as it sounded like he just pulled off the TB, cleaned it, then reinstalled it. I could be wrong, but I would think the relearn would only be necessary if he actually changed out the TB.
But it wouldn't hurt, just to eliminate it as a possibility.
And also, it's FREE.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
rpms are normal but when it goes to shift it like jerks 3 times really fast like not even a second while in the process of shifting

----------

after i change my tranny fluid and rear end fluid im going to change the fule pump if problem not resolved

----------

yes ive smelt a burning smell kinda when i go to pass someone on the highway roughly going 60mph- to 70 while passing but i dont know if it was my car or a local farmer burning shit out in the country because they do that alot when i go to work
or coming back from

1 - 13 of 13 Posts