Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Jerking shifts

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  silversport 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have a problem with my 2010 CTS where the car jerks forward when shifting after putting it into the transmission sport mode and also full throttling the car. Basically when I’m in 1st gear going up to second and almost hitting redline, the car would jerk into second. I’m not sure if this is the computer cutting power so that I won’t hit redline and damage the engine or what. I know this is probably a stupid question to ask but I would really appreciate for anyone to respond.

Thank you

#5 ·
Might be time for a transmission service. More questions.

How does it shift when not in sport mode?
Is the fluid reddish-pink or dark in color?
Does it smell sweet or burnt?
Is the fluid level correct?

#6 ·
Might be time for a transmission service. More questions.

How does it shift when not in sport mode?
Is the fluid reddish-pink or dark in color?
Does it smell sweet or burnt?
Is the fluid level correct?
It shifts fine when not in sports mode. The transmission color is getting a little dark but not totally burnt. The fluid level is correct. I honestly don’t think this is a transmission problem but mostly me hitting redline and the computer cutting power so that I won’t damage the engine.

#7 ·
Perhaps I misunderstood.

There are protections in place for over-revving the engine.
Step your shifts back a few hundred RPM's and see how it reacts. With that many miles on the odometer, I'd be taking it a bit easier.

Reactions: silversport
#8 ·
Perhaps I misunderstood.

There are protections in place for over-revving the engine.
Step your shifts back a few hundred RPM's and see how it reacts. With that many miles on the odometer, I'd be taking it a bit easier.
Yeah you are totally right, I should be taking it a bit easier. Thing is, I’m a 16 year old kid who loves his CTS. I like revving up high and going fast but I’m the type to worry about any bad thing that isn’t supposed to happen while I drive lol. Thank you so much for helping me out with this issue, I totally appreciate it.

#10 ·
we've been there as well but one way to be able to continue loving your CTS is to take it easy when nearing redline...depending on at what mileage you bought yours and especially with the type of driving you say you are doing...I'd get that transmission service done...

good luck and enjoy that CTS

Bill

Reactions: Long
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.