Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
09 CTS V
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was surfing the web today and came across this on MSN. "16 things only a jerk would do." I laughed out loud when I noticed the car that the supposed "jerk" is driving. Pretty funny, I would never park my V that close to the building though. You can usually barely see my car when I get to the entrance because I am parked so far out.
Jerk (640x333).jpg

·
Registered
2012 Mercedes E63 Amg Station Wagon
1,348 Posts
Ya, exactly, but even parking like that you still never know who is going to park their car a few inches away from you door and give you a big door ding. A lot of people disregard the lines. Ask me how I know, lol. I need to open my door wide to get my wheelchair in the car and try to park my car accordingly in the hp spots if I can find them, people still will park right next to me and I can't get back into my car and need to find a able bodied person to move my car for me if I want to get out. This can be scary because you don't know if the person is gonna take off with the car in a car like the V. That car in the picture is a 3.6 CTS coupe.

·
Registered
708 Posts
If you take up 2 spots right by the front door, that's a jerk move. I will take up 2 spots but away from the building and walk. Or I'll take another car

·
Registered
CTS-V BR Coupe
148 Posts
To avoid hits from stupid people's doors, etc., the only safe (and smart) thing to do is to park out in The Back 40 and walk from there. It's no guarantee, but it's your best bet.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Thats a risk though because it's not well lighted and somebody could really mess up your car there. You can't win I guess. Sometimes it's tempting just to drive an old junker and not worry about the whole thing. Could always just put the LSA motor in a old beat up pontiac bonneville or something I guess, lol. Although knowing my luck though I'd end up like Dax Shepherd in the movie "Hit and Run" and somebody would steal my motor.

·
Registered
2015 Mercedes CLS63 AMG S
890 Posts
Wow,

I hope you guys don't hate me here... But I'd never park like that. Never take up two spots... You draw more attention and are more likely to get severe damage if you park like a douche bag, then parking normally.

Park too far out? You target yourself because a nice car sticks out, and some people who aren't happy with their life will take it upon them to do damage.

Park like a douche? You're asking for unhappy miserable people to damage your car since you think you're entitled. I've seen it happen (even though I don't think people should park like douche bags, I still went after the guy that damaged the car, no one should ever **** with another mans ride).

I've always parked mid-way out, between the lines, around cars, and I've never had any issues with either of my Escalades, or either of my V's. (150,000km on my old Esky, 17,500km on my 2012 V, 5,000km on my new esky, just to show how much driving I do).

As far as I'm concerned, it's a vehicle (even though it's a nice vehicle). Without stressing, just driving it normally, parking it normally, I've had no issues. Maybe I'm lucky? I'm not changing what I'm doing :)

One time I parked in a parkade with my ESV Esky, lanes were as thin as the vehicle...

Came out after a movie, two cars parked beside me with ~6 inches on each side of me. I had to go through the back hatch, crawl inside the vehicle to the front to drive it. I pulled out, checked my vehicle, ABSOLUTELY NO DINGS OR SCRATCHES... Shocked me considering both driver sides were facing my vehicle and they wouldn't have been able to get out even if they did hit my car.

I understand there was no parking, so of course they took those spots, and as long as these guys made an effort to not touch my vehicle (I still have no idea how the **** they did it), all is good in the hood :)

I call that karma! :)

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Ya, without a hp placard you could get yourself into trouble parking like that and even with one. I normally park the opposite allowing more room on the drivers side because these doors on this car are long and I need the space to get my wheelchair in. The solution of parking in HP spots is normally moot because they are always all taken at least here in Fla. What a lot of people do not realize though is with a hp placard you legally allowed to take up two spots, so maybe that car had a hp placard hanging from the rearview, that we do not know. Anyhow, even if he did most people still do not realize you are allowed to take up two spots with a hp placard and would park right next to his drivers door and block him in.

My truck is much better for parking because the door is a lot shorter and the rear door opens backward and I just pull my wheelchair in through there. I can get in with half the space I can with the Caddy. Caddy requires around 4 feet, the truck 2.5 feet or so.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Ya, without a hp placard you could get yourself into trouble parking like that and even with one. I normally park the opposite allowing more room on the drivers side because these doors on this car are long and I need the space to get my wheelchair in. The solution of parking in HP spots is normally moot because they are always all taken at least here in Fla. What a lot of people do not realize though is with a hp placard you legally allowed to take up two spots, so maybe that car had a hp placard hanging from the rearview, that we do not know. Anyhow, even if he did most people still do not realize you are allowed to take up two spots with a hp placard and would park right next to his drivers door and block him in.

My truck is much better for parking because the door is a lot shorter and the rear door opens backward and I just pull my wheelchair in through there. I can get in with half the space I can with the Caddy. Caddy requires around 4 feet, the truck 2.5 feet or so.
I just learned something new.

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V, White, Manual, Bone stock, no sun-roof
510 Posts
At my office, we have an unspoken "club" of car guys. I know their faces, I know their cars, but I don't know their names. We don't talk to each other, we only nod.

We all park together, next to each other, the FARTHEST from the entrance in the back back corner of the parking lot. We have this understanding that we know we all care about our cars and we don't want other non-car guys parking next to us who might bang up our doors. So we all park together.

It's a nice feeling that I know my car will not get banged up at work. Same feeling that I have that my car will not get banged up in my driveway.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
At my office, we have an unspoken "club" of car guys. I know their faces, I know their cars, but I don't know their names. We don't talk to each other, we only nod.

We all park together, next to each other, the FARTHEST from the entrance in the back back corner of the parking lot. We have this understanding that we know we all care about our cars and we don't want other non-car guys parking next to us who might bang up our doors. So we all park together.

It's a nice feeling that I know my car will not get banged up at work. Same feeling that I have that my car will not get banged up in my driveway.
Thats really cool, if only everybody could work together like that.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Sedan Black Raven 6 speed manual
404 Posts
I do not take up two spots. I may park away from others but not so far away that people mess with it. Let's face it, when you have a nice car some people are going to be jealous and may key,kick,spit,ding your car. No way to avoid it other than not going out. I love the guys over on the Corvette forums that say "I'll shot them with my 9 if I catch the..." Yea, go to jail for a car...Real bright. Not me.

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V 6MN Thunder Gray; 07 SRX AWD N*;
1,219 Posts

That's pretty cool... maybe imagine all the good times and cameraderie that might ensue if someone were to "break the ice", start a conversation and the next thing you know, everybody gets to know each other! Car guys are a special breed unto their own, for sure...

Best regards,

Elie

·
Registered
NONE
779 Posts
agree, you should always park far out rather than pull crap like that coupe.

Personally I try to look for last spaces that only park next to 1 car to minimize chances and park as far to the non car side. Those are my favorite next to perfectly isolated spaces.
Sometimes in LA, going far is just not a possibility. I found myself just waiting by the car and sending someone in multiple times because of this.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
And then my cameras caught the plate of the note leaver. Molatov cocktail a comin'...

----------

But seriously, I either take two spaces or park up against a curb whenever I park. But always away from the front door. I'll drop my passengers off at the front if I have to and go park.

Both of my Vs have been ding-free. 9 years of V driving. My '07 Town Car only had one ding in 200k miles of driving around Boston because one cabbie decided to drop his clients off 12 inches away from my car. 130k miles on my '11 TC and its showroom new...

·
Registered
2012 CTSV Coupe, 1966 Chevelle
696 Posts
I park on the 3rd floor of a 5 story garage, 20 feet from the stairs next to a handicapped spot. I get in at 5:30 am so I'm first in everyday. I pay $225/ mo near Beverly Hills. A reserved spot is $350 and it would put me at a random assigned spot that probably has an SUV on it. I hug the line closest to the handicapped spot so my door opens to the spot. If I can choose this as my reserved spot, I would pay for it. For now, no need and I don't go in and out during the day.

Anywhere else, I'm neurotic. I just won't go anywhere if I can't find a good spot. I've failed to go to a mini mall to pick up something three times cause I couldn't get a desirable spot. I drove around for half an hour each time then just said **** it.

I need a beater car.

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V, White, Manual, Bone stock, no sun-roof
510 Posts
Anywhere else, I'm neurotic. I just won't go anywhere if I can't find a good spot. I've failed to go to a mini mall to pick up something three times cause I couldn't get a desirable spot. I drove around for half an hour each time then just said **** it.

I need a beater car.

Agree.

·
Registered
2011 CTS V Black Coupe
43 Posts
I always park a mile away from the place I'm going (nobody around) and I'll be damned but a lot of times there will be an old beater parked right next me when I return.. I look my car over and have not found any damage,,I think there are some guys that look for the nice vehs parked in no mans land and then park next to them to irritate the owner.

Jerry in Minnesota

1 - 20 of 24 Posts