Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the proper support points for jack stands (2 per axle) and for a pump-type floor jack? I need to take off all my wheels at once (to have summer tires installed on new polished alloys), but I don't know the safe places to jack up the car and then support it. Thanks!

·
Registered
2005 Platinum CTS V-Headers+3in pipes
3,012 Posts

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
2,061 Posts
there are triangles on the rocker panels noting the location of the jack points. look under about a foot toward the center and you'll see the frame. pick a good spot.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
there are triangles on the rocker panels noting the location of the jack points. look under about a foot toward the center and you'll see the frame. pick a good spot.
At the risk of sounding like a jerk - the photo looks like you have lifting equipment located everywhere except the points indicated by the triangles.

·
Registered
'05 LS6 V Stealth Grey; '14 Z71 SLT Sierra 1500 Stealth Grey
2,821 Posts
I've used this place, and its starting to bend my frame there. I was talking to my mechanic, who uses a totally different spot all together, said where the arrows are, just a few inches in from them is a solid place to jack. But use pucks or wood.

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
2,061 Posts
At the risk of sounding like a jerk - the photo looks like you have lifting equipment located everywhere except the points indicated by the triangles.
optical illusion. they are spot on, the other is support, and the hydraulic is not holding anything up, just there in case the 3 jackstands fail.

·
Registered
'06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)
4,455 Posts
optical illusion. they are spot on, the other is support, and the hydraulic is not holding anything up, just there in case the 3 jackstands fail.
:histeric: I do the same thing!

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
1,415 Posts
Yeah I gotta get me a set of those pucks and just isntall them... I keep putting the car up in the air the weight would be worth the hassle.

I saw someone on here made their own using hockey pucks... I might have to do a search for that one.

PS. Who's caddy is that off the ramps? That is priceless.... if that was me my poor heart would have missed about three beats when I first saw my V on the ramps like that.... OUCH

·
Registered
CTS-V
572 Posts

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
1,415 Posts
Ummm....It's in this thread a couple poasts up.
HA I did a search and lo and behold it led me right back here... I was like WTF this is that same thread... then I saw it and Ahhhhh OOOPPS

Thanks for pointing our the extra obvious :banghead:

·
Registered
CTS-V
572 Posts
I got some off Ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Corv...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

You could easily make these out of wood. If I was going to do it again I would just get some of the cheaper plastic ones. Also note that these don't fit exactly. They do work. The issue is that once you install these the stem on the T part is a little too long. They go in fine but tend to move around a little because they are a little loose.

Once you find where these go you can really just place the jack there without pucks.

·
Registered
Silver '05 V
1,238 Posts
I've used this place, and its starting to bend my frame there. I was talking to my mechanic, who uses a totally different spot all together, said where the arrows are, just a few inches in from them is a solid place to jack. But use pucks or wood.
2nd to this. I use the handy jackpoints, but the same happened to me when I put my stand on there and went to jack up the other side of the car I got a small bend and about shat myself.

I'm looking for a spot where I can jack the car up without this happening. I could make/buy some pucks, but the same would happen when I put the jack stands on the frame. What are you guys doing to prevent this? I saw a shot of somebody doing some stuff under the rear of the car and they jacked up the rear using the diff (I don't want to do that with the tender piece that it is), but I was thinking of something more center would allow me to lift both sides of the car at once, it is the lean that put the small bend in the frame.

I may be retarded, but I need to do another oil/diff fluid change and the thing keeping me from it is fear of another kink.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
For the front, to minimize the denting, you can do each side a little at a time and just make sure to use that spot that's reinforced to accept some kind of jacking puck. If you have a low profile jack that's low enough, you can also slip it under the front cradle with a piece of wood slipped between (very little space though, especially if you're lowered).

In the rear, you have plenty of room to get a jack under the cradle. There are two long flat sections flanking the diff that runs, more or less, from front to back. You can slip a long piece of wood along the length of that flat section. Great spot to jack up in the rear - you'll get both wheels off the ground, regardless of which side of the cradle you decide to jack from. And you don't have to worry about denting that thing. It won't happen.

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
2,061 Posts
PS. Who's caddy is that off the ramps? That is priceless.... if that was me my poor heart would have missed about three beats when I first saw my V on the ramps like that.... OUCH
thats mine. it is a priceless blunder. i only post it because it is too funny to hide.

i hadnt used those ramps in years. decided to change my oil myself and no one was home. i drove right off. had no spotter...i did sh+t a brick when it happened. the crunch noise was nasty.. the silver lining is that the rear of the car is leaning way down with the slope of the driveway so the pressure was greatly reduced.. zero damage.

·
Registered
2011 Thunder Gray Chromaflair CTS-V coupe
605 Posts
If you use pucks and jack the car up where the pucks are located, after the car is in the air, is there a place where the jack stands should be placed? Obviously, the jack stand can't go where the puck itself has the jack on it.

Mike

·
Registered
2005 CTS V (long gone), 2016 CT6
315 Posts
Anyone know where one can get a good deal on jack stands with flat tops? When I had my V at the dealer for the diff pinion seal replacement they lifted the entire car by placing the lift pucks of their floor lift right against the bottom of the lower rocker plastic facia right at the arrows and it lifts fine. My floor jack has a large flat top on it with a rubber cushion and I have since jacked up the car the same way one corner of a time for wheel swapping etc...I'd love to have a set of 4 jack stands with large flat tops to put the whole car in the air, i'd be easier on the under body than putting SUV frame style stands under like most do.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I like YoshiV's point, but for some reason I would worry less supporting the car by the frame itself. MSOsr's question is phrased well -- I guess that's what I was trying to ask.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts