Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2012 CTS4 Premium
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put a JacFab Intake spacer on a second generation 3.6 LFX engine? Most of the info I've seen was on first gen engines.

·
Registered
'12 CTS Performance Sports Wagon AWD
3,021 Posts
Have one on mine... I also put an 80mm TB on mine and had the intake ported. The one thing you will have to be aware of is that the 80mm TB has to be mounted upside down on our cars and will require an extension cable to not be against your hood. I started wearing a hole in my hood with it. Be wary that you MAY need this on the OEM TB. I don't know since I haven't tried it with the factory TB and have no clue where mine is now. It is also very close to the hood in other areas so you will want to look at how close it comes to the hood in your car and may have to tweak some things. I have an oil catch can and the hoses it had are slightly too thick and get smashed between the hood and the intake if you aren't careful. You will also have to lengthen or replace all together your passenger side PCV tubing. It will not reach with the spacer.

Love mine.. With a Will Overkill tune and E85 I can put my car sideways on takeoff if I am not careful. (Note my AWD, Traction control and all related systems are currently shut down because of a bad tone ring on my FR hub) Have not taken to the track yet and probably won't until spring now. My AWD car came with 3.73 gearing. Definetly can tell a difference between running 87 octane and E85. With Will's 91/93 octane tune you won't have quite as much power but it should be significantly different. Not sure if the spacer by its self will do much. They show about 5-10hp across the whole power band. Without dyno testing I am guessing the TB, Spacer and ported intake with tune boost me by 30-40hp. The E85 seems to bump it up another 30-40hp or maybe a little more.

·
Registered
2012 CTS4 Premium
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info Red. I had my stock TB bored to 80mm. The guy at JacFab said the only issue will be the cover and that I would have to get an extension for the oil filler tube.

I also have a catch can, so I, not sure of the implications with that.

Hoe long of a job was all things considered?

Can you shoot me a few pix????

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I left the beauty cover off. It won't fit anyway. If you leave the top cover off you can just take the oil fill extension tube off. It will screw right into the head directly. Doesn't take long to do the job. Just depends on you. I made my own intake tube for it too. It does suck in a little of the engines air because it is not sealed off but not really noticable at highway speeds.

You can see there is not much room between the top and the brace. Also you can see my TB extension with my 80mm TB flipped over to prevent further damage to my hood. And you can see where I used a rubber hose to go to my PCV discharge point on the Intake. This is the hose that gets crushed by the hood if you are not careful. The hose clamp was also biting into my hood when I had the screw or the excess on top so be wary of that.

Side view that shows some more about clearances. You can also see some of my custom air intake. And the oil cap directly screwed into the head.

This was to show my oil filler cap is in place without the spacer tube. You can also see I relocated the power steering pump tank which is normally in the bottom of the picture just to left of center. You can see the new one in the top right corner with the tubes running just right of the AC tubing. This was to move the tank out of my way for my SC installation which I am still working out the details for. (Daily driver so anything I do has to be complete before I drive off.) All beauty covers are off around the engine bay due to ongoing work with the SC system. (When I get my truck back on the road I will be removing the Alternator and checking for clearances for the SC to insure it will fit and see how I will have to accomplish the installation. Once I know it will fit I have to figure out where to relocate the alternator. I MAY just move it up if I have room. Or flip it on top of the SC so its backwards. Details I have to work out yet.)

Custom made Air intake piping. I made this from parts I ordered. This is a 3.5" intake with a custom build MAF housing from Tracy Lewis of TeamRX. You can also see both of the tubes coming from the relocated power steering fluid tank right under the air conditioning tubing. One tube goes right down to the power steering pump, the other goes under where the air filter is blocking on the inside of the fender where it is connected to the power steering cooler line.

If you look under the air filter at the end of the cone you can see the corner of the PCM which will be relocated at some point to where the horns are and the horns will be relocated to make room for it.

Sorry about the dirty compartment.. Been too busy to clean it.

In this picture you can see my oil catch can attached to the air intake for the HVAC system with the rubbing going to the intake and to the passenger side head although the passenger side head you mainly just see the hose clamp. You can also see my E85 sensor here. It is the stainless braided tubing. I have it wire tired to a bracket to prevent it from moving around. It actually goes to the low pressure line where it connects in You can see the wire ties I have holding it in place by the stock fuel lines to insure it doesn't come apart.

In this picture you can see the two portions damaged on my hood. The front section is where the top of the TB wore into my hood. It went past the insulation into the actual hood its self. I was getting metal shavings on top of my TB and part of it was also wearing away. You can see it by the plug that helps hold the insulation on.
And below that, which is further back is the worn away insulation from the hose on top of the intake wearing into the hood insulation and there is a small wear mark in the hood where the hose clamp started biting into it as well until I spun it. So there is NOT a lot of clearance between the raised intake and the hood.

·
Registered
2012 CTS4 Premium
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply Red. I won't have a clearance problem with my hood, coz I used the OEM TB and had it bored and I have a V hood with custom paint. The Oil CC wont be an issue either. The only possible issue I may have is my CAI. That 3/4' extra may create a problem with my tube. But I'll figure a work around.

Do you see any issues with the drivetrain and the SC???

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Do you see any issues with the drivetrain and the SC???
One user on here had a Will Overkill SC system on his car and a highstall convertor because the SC doesn't even kick in really before 3000rpm. The only issue he had was the rear driveshaft blew apart on him on a launch. The driveshaft was not setup for that kind of torque jump. In my car that won't be as much an issue. Leaving everything stock at this point and will be limiting the SC's output initially. Since the boost on mine will be from 0RPM, kinda hoping the launches won't make the driveshaft splinter. Theoretically this SC will support in the range of 700-800hp. The engine however won't be able to do much more than about 600hp at the crank without major upgrades if even capable. The user on here was putting about 450hp to the wheels which was probably a little over 500hp at the crank. I will size my SC pulley to try to run the SC initially about 1.5:1 ratio. Get some Dyno numbers for it and see where it sits then go from there. I probably won't really push the limits of it until I have a little more financial freedom to repair broken parts as they break. But in theory with these engines this should be the best configuration. Would be nice to sit it on top of the engine and make use of the air/water intercooler but that is not in my current plans. Although I will be picking up some additional blowers to play with down the road.

Rodney

·
Registered
2014 CTS Coupe 3.6 RWD Perfomance Pkg, TriCoat White Diamond
1,798 Posts
Thanks for the info Red. I had my stock TB bored to 80mm. The guy at JacFab said the only issue will be the cover and that I would have to get an extension for the oil filler tube.

I also have a catch can, so I, not sure of the implications with that.

Hoe long of a job was all things considered?

Can you shoot me a few pix????
thx for the pics

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I left the beauty cover off. It won't fit anyway. If you leave the top cover off you can just take the oil fill extension tube off. It will screw right into the head directly. Doesn't take long to do the job. Just depends on you. I made my own intake tube for it too. It does suck in a little of the engines air because it is not sealed off but not really noticable at highway speeds.

View attachment 588654

You can see there is not much room between the top and the brace. Also you can see my TB extension with my 80mm TB flipped over to prevent further damage to my hood. And you can see where I used a rubber hose to go to my PCV discharge point on the Intake. This is the hose that gets crushed by the hood if you are not careful. The hose clamp was also biting into my hood when I had the screw or the excess on top so be wary of that.

View attachment 588655

Side view that shows some more about clearances. You can also see some of my custom air intake. And the oil cap directly screwed into the head.

View attachment 588656

This was to show my oil filler cap is in place without the spacer tube. You can also see I relocated the power steering pump tank which is normally in the bottom of the picture just to left of center. You can see the new one in the top right corner with the tubes running just right of the AC tubing. This was to move the tank out of my way for my SC installation which I am still working out the details for. (Daily driver so anything I do has to be complete before I drive off.) All beauty covers are off around the engine bay due to ongoing work with the SC system. (When I get my truck back on the road I will be removing the Alternator and checking for clearances for the SC to insure it will fit and see how I will have to accomplish the installation. Once I know it will fit I have to figure out where to relocate the alternator. I MAY just move it up if I have room. Or flip it on top of the SC so its backwards. Details I have to work out yet.)

View attachment 588657

Custom made Air intake piping. I made this from parts I ordered. This is a 3.5" intake with a custom build MAF housing from Tracy Lewis of TeamRX. You can also see both of the tubes coming from the relocated power steering fluid tank right under the air conditioning tubing. One tube goes right down to the power steering pump, the other goes under where the air filter is blocking on the inside of the fender where it is connected to the power steering cooler line.

If you look under the air filter at the end of the cone you can see the corner of the PCM which will be relocated at some point to where the horns are and the horns will be relocated to make room for it.

Sorry about the dirty compartment.. Been too busy to clean it.

View attachment 588658
In this picture you can see my oil catch can attached to the air intake for the HVAC system with the rubbing going to the intake and to the passenger side head although the passenger side head you mainly just see the hose clamp. You can also see my E85 sensor here. It is the stainless braided tubing. I have it wire tired to a bracket to prevent it from moving around. It actually goes to the low pressure line where it connects in You can see the wire ties I have holding it in place by the stock fuel lines to insure it doesn't come apart.

View attachment 588659

In this picture you can see the two portions damaged on my hood. The front section is where the top of the TB wore into my hood. It went past the insulation into the actual hood its self. I was getting metal shavings on top of my TB and part of it was also wearing away. You can see it by the plug that helps hold the insulation on.
And below that, which is further back is the worn away insulation from the hose on top of the intake wearing into the hood insulation and there is a small wear mark in the hood where the hose clamp started biting into it as well until I spun it. So there is NOT a lot of clearance between the raised intake and the hood.
I was considering up grading to 80mm TB...But, I'm not willing to make all of those added installs. i was wondering if i would need a larger MAF sensor. i enjoy my appearance pkg and i don't like the idea of i might have to purdahs a new hood. Do you know if OverKill still have their Black Friday discount? Whos catch can system are you using?

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Just using a cheapie ebay Oil. There are others that probably pull out more but I still get a significant amount of oil and crap out of the air.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Does yours have the air vent? I'm thinking that those kind would put oil smell into the engine department then eventually into the cabin.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
No air vent. Just a hose coming in, one going out.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
No air vent. Just a hose coming in, one going out.
Do you have the LFX engine? I was looking yesterday in engine bay, i don't any space to install a catch can.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Do you have the LFX engine? I was looking yesterday in engine bay, i don't any space to install a catch can.
Yes mine is LFX.
Sure you have room. Look in front of the air box that sucks in your HVAC air. Plenty of room there. If you look in my pictures above you can see that is where mine is. I will be moving it to a different location once I have the SC installed because I am planning to heavily modify that air box to make it the air intake for the SC as well. The location of the CC really doesn't matter. If you buy one from Tracy Lewis he actually gives you a bracket that replaces the one that holds the beauty cover on. His CC then bolts onto that bracket. On my car I am no longer using the beauty cover clip or whatever you want to call it so I will eventually move it there depending on how my SC ends up.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Yes mine is LFX.
Sure you have room. Look in front of the air box that sucks in your HVAC air. Plenty of room there. If you look in my pictures above you can see that is where mine is. I will be moving it to a different location once I have the SC installed because I am planning to heavily modify that air box to make it the air intake for the SC as well. The location of the CC really doesn't matter. If you buy one from Tracy Lewis he actually gives you a bracket that replaces the one that holds the beauty cover on. His CC then bolts onto that bracket. On my car I am no longer using the beauty cover clip or whatever you want to call it so I will eventually move it there depending on how my SC ends up.
LOL, i didn't see it hiding there! It's the black component that has white printed letters that read "Oil Catch Can"...dummy 🤣 !!! You have no problem emptying it at that position?

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
LOL, i didn't see it hiding there! It's the black component that has white printed letters that read "Oil Catch Can"...dummy 🤣 !!! You have no problem emptying it at that position?
And below the picture I did say where to find it... I figured the writing on the top would be a dead give away and didn't have to mention it... lol

Only issue I have is the Oring gets sticky so it doesn't break free as easily as I would hope but once I get it to break free its fine. There is an oring on the bottom where it screws into the lid. There is also a worthless dipstick in the top too. You can see it in the picture. It looks like a cap sitting on the top of the catch can next to the wireloom. That screws out and it is supposed to tell you how full the can is but the watery oil doesn't really stick to it and I didn't think it was accurate at all. but I am surprised how much crap comes out and gets stuck in it.

I will be relocating it when I get the supercharger installed but not sure yet where to. Probably on the front of the motor somewhere. I will likely get the Tracy Lewis can when I get the rest of the stuff from Will to go with my SC. Basically I will end up with just about the whole kit he has minus the SC and mounting brackets.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
And below the picture I did say where to find it... I figured the writing on the top would be a dead give away and didn't have to mention it... lol

Only issue I have is the Oring gets sticky so it doesn't break free as easily as I would hope but once I get it to break free its fine. There is an oring on the bottom where it screws into the lid. There is also a worthless dipstick in the top too. You can see it in the picture. It looks like a cap sitting on the top of the catch can next to the wireloom. That screws out and it is supposed to tell you how full the can is but the watery oil doesn't really stick to it and I didn't think it was accurate at all. but I am surprised how much crap comes out and gets stuck in it.

I will be relocating it when I get the supercharger installed but not sure yet where to. Probably on the front of the motor somewhere. I will likely get the Tracy Lewis can when I get the rest of the stuff from Will to go with my SC. Basically I will end up with just about the whole kit he has minus the SC and mounting brackets.
i just purchased mine. What size is our PVC hose? This unit comes with 3/8" Fuel line. Is this the correct size?

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
The fuel line it comes with is Junk.. If you look in the one picture I have where you can read the catch can you can also read the :"gates hose" and "3/8" writting on the hose.

I bought about 3' of fuel line at the local napa. You will need a total of 4 of the hose clamps. I CAREFULLY scored the plastic hose on both ends that you will be reusing. You have to be careful not to cut into the barb underneath. You may find you can just pull it off with a little heat as well. I may have even cut the plastic hose down a little ways and sliced it with the sharp part of an xacto knife pointed away from the barb to split the plastic hose. One you have the hose removed you connect your fuel line to it with a hose clamp and you are done connecting the hose. I am thinking about redoing the drivers side with fuel line too because the darn plastic line is so brittle and pulls away too easy.

If you need pictures I can do that... It is pretty simple. It may be easier if you can connect to the front of the motor somewhere.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
The fuel line it comes with is Junk.. If you look in the one picture I have where you can read the catch can you can also read the :"gates hose" and "3/8" writting on the hose.

I bought about 3' of fuel line at the local napa. You will need a total of 4 of the hose clamps. I CAREFULLY scored the plastic hose on both ends that you will be reusing. You have to be careful not to cut into the barb underneath. You may find you can just pull it off with a little heat as well. I may have even cut the plastic hose down a little ways and sliced it with the sharp part of an xacto knife pointed away from the barb to split the plastic hose. One you have the hose removed you connect your fuel line to it with a hose clamp and you are done connecting the hose. I am thinking about redoing the drivers side with fuel line too because the darn plastic line is so brittle and pulls away too easy.

If you need pictures I can do that... It is pretty simple. It may be easier if you can connect to the front of the motor somewhere.
so are you saying this fuel line is junk (link to full description below)? It seems like there's no room in front of the engine. Ill look again. Yes, more pics please. I cant read the writing on your hose because of the upper strut support. Can i cut the old line to length to the "In" port and use the new line to connect the the "Out" to the PVC?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086HC96M3/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Yes the fuel line is junk. I got the same thing. When you look at the actual fuel line you will see that it is cheap and will fall apart. The steel wool is not necessary either. Otherwise it is pretty much what is on my car.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts