Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got around to stepping up to larger tires. My old tires were bald, and I ran over a nail the other day so I decided it was the right time. I was going to go for some really nice rubber but decided to go middle of the road performance all season. I got a set of BFG G-force Comp TA KDWS 255/50/ZR17 tires. They definitely look cooler, which is a side benefit. I just drove it from DC to Massachusetts on them. They are smooth, and relatively quiet which is nice. Unfortunately with a car full of luggage I didn't have much of a chance to throw it around. On one sprint while chasing a Celica GT I ran it up to about 110 or so on a stretch of open, winding highway, and it fel A LOT more sure footed than it used to. Driving around town it's more responsive. Hopefully tonight I'll get to take it out and really thrash it. I can set up my G-tech and see what it pulls in a parking lot skidpad. All in all I would say stepping up to this tire size is definitely worth it. Especially if you want the car to feel a bit more nimble. Next I plan to get thicker swaybars, which I think will really make take it out of the boat category and make the car a decent handler.

Scott

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
LymanSS said:
So I finally got around to stepping up to larger tires. My old tires were bald, and I ran over a nail the other day so I decided it was the right time. I was going to go for some really nice rubber but decided to go middle of the road performance all season. I got a set of BFG G-force Comp TA KDWS 255/50/ZR17 tires. They definitely look cooler, which is a side benefit. I just drove it from DC to Massachusetts on them. They are smooth, and relatively quiet which is nice. Unfortunately with a car full of luggage I didn't have much of a chance to throw it around. On one sprint while chasing a Celica GT I ran it up to about 110 or so on a stretch of open, winding highway, and it fel A LOT more sure footed than it used to. Driving around town it's more responsive. Hopefully tonight I'll get to take it out and really thrash it. I can set up my G-tech and see what it pulls in a parking lot skidpad. All in all I would say stepping up to this tire size is definitely worth it. Especially if you want the car to feel a bit more nimble. Next I plan to get thicker swaybars, which I think will really make take it out of the boat category and make the car a decent handler.

Scott
That's a significantly wider tire and only a little taller. The speedometer/odometer shouldn't be off by much. As long as you don't rub on anything, you should be ok.
Good luck.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have mentioned. I calculated the size I wanted before I started all this. The sidewall height on the new tires is 1.4 percent off. Not significant enough to have a problem. I also made sure to test fit a pair of these tires before ordering mine. I got the guys at the local NTB to put a set on and let me make sure it doesn't rub. I was quite sure they would fit before putting them on. This was confirmed by a fitment guide that one of the shops had. It listed this size tire as a suitable replacement for DTS's. The tires fit fine, and the speedo should not be noticeably off....they aren't actually that accurate from the factory (often as much as 6 percent off) so I'm fine. The change in handling is well worth the effort, and it's a straight up upgrade.

Scott

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
i just got my 16x7 inch deville wheels for my 90 coupe, i still need to get tires for it, i was thinking of getting 225/45/16 but how wide can i go? iam not a big expert on tire size and stuff.

·
Banned
7,971 Posts
The stock 15" diameter, 9" wide wheels carry tires that fit the wheel, but can rub on the inside of the wheel well. So I won't be getting anything larger, and no matter what I do I'll still have the boat feel of the 5200# deville.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
davesdeville