Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Deville, 95 Deville, 87 Monte Carlo LS (not stock)
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just figured out I have a mice problem. I'd like to hope it's from the previous owner I just bought the car from that lived on a farm. But I'm sure I'd never be that lucky. Long story short, I was running power wire and rca's and when I dropped the lower cover on the pass side of the dash I had a dead mouse wrapped around my harness. A couple nibble marks in the heater vacuum lines but no holes and no other noticeable damage there. After that I figured out I had a driver side rear speaker that didn't work. Tore in to find chewed up wire to the speaker and the wire going into the cone of the speaker itself. Still I was hoping this was from before I bought the car. So I put in a bunch of bounce sheets. Just today I noticed mouse turds on my driver seat, I clean my car (real good, I use to be a detailer) about twice a week so I couldn't have missed this. Anyone ever had to deal with this problem??? What can I do? I can't do anything with a cat, I'm very allergic to um. Thanks for any advice you can give me. Just tonight I set like 6 traps throughout my car with peanut butter. Well see what happens.

·
Registered
1992 Sedan Deville, 1984 Lincoln Town Car
759 Posts
:eek: How awful that they hurt your Caddy! Trap 'em and send them to their maker! Put traps around where you park the car too. Glue traps are the safest for you to not get hurt. Dorito cheese chips for bait (Pbutter might be okay too)

·
Registered
1999 Cadillac DeVille
279 Posts
Cheeky Bastards...

·
Registered
93 Sedan Deville 4.9L
1,005 Posts
Take it on a good highway run lol. If they are living in the engine bay, or in/on the exhaust somewhere a few full throttle runs ought to burn them up, if not atleast you get to have alittle fun.

I recently noticed some chewed wires under my hood, luckily not as bad as yours and I haven't found any other evidence so I believe it has been like that awhile.

Good Luck

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So far I haven't caught any, 10 traps. But I was also told I can get a rodent repelant at a hardware store. I'm on my way.

·
Registered
04 DEVILLE
258 Posts
Live traps worked best for me...they seemed to instinctively know to stay away from the glue traps and the snap traps. Of course then I had the problem of what to do with them. I'd catch one and my kids would say "oh, he's so cute..can we keep him?". My boyfriend's advice was "shake the cage real hard, then dump them on the ground and while they're still dizzy stomp on 'em"..

So of course, I took them far, far, far away and released them into the woods..not because of any heroic intentions..but just because I'm a softie :(

They are a nuisance and can do a lot of damage..plus you have to be careful that they don't die somewhere in your car and stink it up

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,094 Posts
Just keep setting the traps every night. You'll eventually get them. I set traps at the corner of each garage door as well as around the interior perimeter every fall when they are looking for a place to winter. I get about a half dozen every year. Some mice and some shrews. Hate them meeses to pieces.

I don't know what kind of cage you have them in Minnesota, but I've had 'em in a jar. Shake it hard enough and you'll kill 'em from a concusion.

·
Registered
1992 Sedan Deville, 1984 Lincoln Town Car
759 Posts
Well, now I don't feel so bad after Ranger's story. I was much more humane tho' and used a single hammer blow to the head for each one, while they were yet glued to the board.:hammer: I like to spray cockroaches with dish detergent an watch them die too.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL, well still nothing with the snap traps, but I have about a full box of bounce spread throughout, and I just put all kinds of botanical rodent repellent in there from a company called fresh cab. I picked it up at a farm and surplus store they said it's suppose to work good. I don't care about killing them (however if I do catch them I'd like to see what a bug zapper does lol j/k, but yeah they will die) I just want them to go away. I've also started parking on the street since then, before I was outside my garage in the driveway. I was told the more out in the open you park the more likely they will stay away.

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
Mothballs are also supposed to be a good mouse repellant. Check the liner on the underside of the hood. If it is torn or shredded its possible you have a nest in the intake manifold. I have seen pix of mouse nests in N* intakes here and they found one in my intake when my motor was torn down for HGs. I assume the car must have sat for some time for them to do construction in there and I can't figure out how they would get in but I expect the intake would not be a very hospitable place while the engine is running.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts