Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2002 Seville STS F55, 2006 Mazda Miata
22,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually only pass through Sears on my way to Gamestop, Slackers, or Radio Shack. Lately, I've noticed really good prices on appliances, tools, bedding, TVs, and electronics.

Whenever I need help, I can easily get it from one of their bored-looking employees. But, if I'm just browsing around they won't nag me. I bought two shop vacs and they offered to help carry my things to my car.

It can't be K-Mart's influence. Sears is a huge private equity firm now, strongly focused on acquiring other businesses, so I can't figure out why the stores are improving.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,096 Posts
The local Sears Hair Salon is the only place in town that will give my disabled son a haircut. In fact, we have an appointment at 4:00PM this afternoon.

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac Seville STS 73k Miles, '90 Chevy 1500 Reg Cab
725 Posts
I've always been a fan of Sears, their no question asked exchanges on tools are great, if you watch the sales they have decent prices, always had good luck haggling with them on higher dollar purchases and for the most part they know what they're talking about....hard to beat the combo.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
I like their tower.

·
Super Moderator
2018 GMC Sierra, 1995 Jeep Wrangler
12,114 Posts
I worked retail at Sears for several years through high school and college to make spending money. The best time to buy is when they're having their 10% off sale. They'll try to lure you with an additional 10% off on top of that if you sign up for one of their super crappy 24% credit cards. I used to feel guilty setting people up on Sears' credit.....almost. :hide:

·
Registered
41,009 Posts
Sears should ditch softlines and focus on what they do best...tools, hardlines and appliances.

·
Registered
97 Deville
169 Posts
It bothers me that the chain is having trouble. I've had better experiences with employees there than at Lord & Taylor, Macy's, JC Penney, etc. Working in consumer electronics/major appliance retail for almost 8 years now, I see them as what should be my biggest competition, they seem to be doing everything right in appliances. But I just don't get compared to them by customers. Knowledgeable & helpful staff, strong assortment, exclusive lines like Kenmore, great logistics like next day delivery/free delivery, great financing, fair prices w/a guarantee, they have their own service dept, ... basically, everything a customer should want. Mens clothing seems to have good quality stuff at fair prices as well. Brands like Lands End, and Structure. Their stores are merchandised fairly decent and are clean. I wonder why they don't do as well as they should.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
What was Sears biggest competitor? Montgomery Wards? They had a big distribution center in St. Paul, I remember when it was imploded in '96.

They went out of business right?

·
Registered
None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.
5,705 Posts
Sears also takes excellent care of their employees who also happen to be soldiers.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,096 Posts
Sears on the West Coast, California in particular, went through a period of time where they were indicted and convicted of nearly every possible swindle in the automotive repair racket; it was system wide and endemic. It took a long time for them to get beyond that debacle only to do the whole damn thing over again with their credit/Discover cards. The FTC hauled them in for every chickenshit trick possible. For example, they were charging interest from the moment of the sale whether it had been carried over a month or not. Once again it was system wide and endemic. They are still working their way through that one. Around here their stuff is very high priced compared to the competition.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Around here their stuff is very high priced compared to the competition.
I've always avoided Sears except for the occasional sale on a pair of Reeboks or a clearance TV or tools for this very reason. Everytime I walk into their electronics department in particular, the prices on NORMAL inventory seem completely out of touch with reality.

·
Registered
75 Eldo Convertible
340 Posts
I've always avoided Sears except for the occasional sale on a pair of Reeboks or a clearance TV or tools for this very reason. Everytime I walk into their electronics department in particular, the prices on NORMAL inventory seem completely out of touch with reality.
They got sued & fined for selling non-digital TV's to customers and not telling them that in February of `09 that they'd no longer be any good for broadcast TV. Very recently.

But I love their Tool Section. I'd rather buy from them than wallmart or Target.

·
Registered
None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.
5,705 Posts
Tool selection is great. I'd prefer Snap On but can't even begin to afford them.

The TV's? Too damn bad for the consumer. They should have done more research and taken responsibility for their actions.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts