Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Car-and-Driver: The Cadillac CT4 will make its official debut May 30 (that's in 1-week!), and it will first be shown in CT4-V form. This high-performance version of the new compact sports sedan should either be powered by the ATS-V's twin-turbo 3.6-liter V-6, or by a version of the twin-turbo 3.0-liter V-6 found in the CT5 and CT6 sedans.

Would you like to see the 3.0TT replace the 3.6TT? God help us if the 10-speed isn't the automatic transmission!

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a23599322/cadillac-ct4-sedan-future-cars/

·
Registered
'17 Tundra, '16 3GT (wife's)
591 Posts
Agreed, very excited for this reveal (and the CT5-V the same day!)!

Hoping for 10-speed auto for sure...I've been drooling over it since hearing in in ZL1 reviews.

Thinking that the 3.0TT will replace the LF4, though I'd be happy with either.

Also so glad to hear GM continuing to use the excellent Alpha platform.

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Agreed, very excited for this reveal (and the CT5-V the same day!)!

Hoping for 10-speed auto for sure...I've been drooling over it since hearing in in ZL1 reviews.

Thinking that the 3.0TT will replace the LF4, though I'd be happy with either.

Also so glad to hear GM continuing to use the excellent Alpha platform.
Since its still the Alpha platform I bet the Blackwing 4.2TT would fit...just saying.

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It seems pretty clear to me that the CT5 is still a 5-series competitor. Since the 3-series continues to grow (now at 185 inches long), the CT4 could be about 2 inches smaller - still closer to a 3-series than a A3/A-class.

·
Registered
2018 ATS-V Sedan
53 Posts
I'm not very excited about the CT5 styling. The front and rear views are okay, but the side view is strange. Maybe the V version will look better.

I'm hoping the CT4 and CT4-V look better than the CT5. I'm also hoping that CT4-V has a version of the Blackwing Twin Turbo V8, but that will probably only be available in the CT5-V.

It is very surprising that the CT4-V is being announced so soon.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I cant imagine the blackwing will make its way in the ct4v since the ct5v is likely to get that.

Im really hoping for a next gen lf4 to continue this platform but I guess its possible they go with the 3.0....just seems silly to go to a smaller less powerful engine to me if caddy wants to beat the germans.

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I recall the Blackwing being called a "hot V" configuration because of the internal location of the turbochargers. I also recall hearing Dave Leone talking about how they repositioned the turbos on the LF4; however, is it fair to also call the LF4 a "hot V" configuration (I don't think so but I was curious)? Do we know of any manufactures that make a hot V 6-cyclinder motor?

·
Registered
2015 ATS 2.0T (gone), 2016 ATS-V, 1968 Corvair, 1974 Corvette, 2003 HD Road King
263 Posts

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
296 Posts
I recall the Blackwing being called a "hot V" configuration because of the internal location of the turbochargers. I also recall hearing Dave Leone talking about how they repositioned the turbos on the LF4; however, is it fair to also call the LF4 a "hot V" configuration (I don't think so but I was curious)? Do we know of any manufactures that make a hot V 6-cyclinder motor?
The "hot V" means the turbos are mounted in the engines valley like so.

The LF4 turbos are mounted right on the engine but not in the valley so it does not technically count as a "hot V"

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V 4-door, 2016 ATS-V 2-door
464 Posts
"Hot V" is actually a generic industry term for any V-type engine with intake ports on the outsides of the heads and exhaust ports in the inside of the heads, ie: between the cylinder banks. Engine designers like this configuration because it allows them to put two turbos right next to the heads reducing the distance the exhaust must travel to reach the turbos and making the engine more compact. The 4.2L tt is like that as are some engines made in Europe.

The LF4 is not a "hot V" engine because its heads have a traditional layout and the turbos are located adjacent and just below the exhaust outlets.

As for the existence of a hot-V V6, I don't know the answer to that.

Lastly, the CT4-V...I'll guess it will be the 3.0tt. The three-liter engine is the current generation of the HFV6 turbo and the 3.6Ltt LF3/4 is the previous gen. I suspect GM will not continue to to use the 3.6tt.

Black Wing turbo in the CT5-V?
Certainly possible, but if it happens....

I'm hoping the ct5v out powers the Hell Cat.
...don't get your hopes up. It seems unlikely to me that a 4.2L tt will make more power than a supercharged 6.2...at least no a 4.2L tt would would run on available pump gas. To make more than 707-hp from a 4.2Ltt would require a lot of boost and making that kind of boost without detonation would require high octane fuel.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was only referring to the section near the C-pillar. That wave thing.
I'd say it looks more like a cross between the Chrysler 200 (in particular that tacked-on looking panel cutting into the greenhouse) and the Accord (with its Z-shaped lower window line). They were probably trying to adapt that pulled-back look from the Escala concept into a smaller frame, but the final execution just looks awkward and non-premium. Other than that I think the exterior is perfect, but that alone would be a deal breaker for me.

The interior also looks like a nice place to be, but nowhere near as menacing as the ATS and CTS interiors in V trim. I'll wait until the CT5/4-V interiors are shown before passing final judgement, but I suspect they won't be too different. Or maybe all of these things will look better in person, but for now I have no regrets about getting an ATS-V at the end of its production run instead of waiting to see what's next.

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I totally agree about the interiors - this is were Cadillac needs to up its game! Cadillac's price-point is nearly the same as Volvo (XT4 vs XC40, XT5 vs XC60, XT6 vs XC90, etc.) and the Volvo interiors and build quality are lightyears ahead of Cadillac. What Volvo is missing are performance powertrains (which caddy has, e.g., LF4 and Blackwing). Heck, Mazda's interiors are now ahead of Cadillac not to mention the new Genesis lineup.

I've been complaining since day one about all the rattles on my 16' ATS-V. This week I'm in a new XT5 with only 2900 miles on the odo. This thing has more rattles coming out of the dash and A-pillars (both sides)...it's driving me nuts! My 2012 Volvo with 95K on the odo is still rattle free. GM should issue a decree that going forward, not one interior material found in a Cadillac can be borrowed from the GM parts bin - everything inside must be Cadillac-specific. Even the leather on the XT5 has that signature GM plastic feel that's almost sticky to the touch (you know what I'm talking about).

·
Registered
2015 ATS 2.0T (gone), 2016 ATS-V, 1968 Corvair, 1974 Corvette, 2003 HD Road King
263 Posts
I'd say it looks more like a cross between the Chrysler 200 (in particular that tacked-on looking panel cutting into the greenhouse) and the Accord (with its Z-shaped lower window line). They were probably trying to adapt that pulled-back look from the Escala concept into a smaller frame, but the final execution just looks awkward and non-premium. Other than that I think the exterior is perfect, but that alone would be a deal breaker for me.

The interior also looks like a nice place to be, but nowhere near as menacing as the ATS and CTS interiors in V trim. I'll wait until the CT5/4-V interiors are shown before passing final judgement, but I suspect they won't be too different. Or maybe all of these things will look better in person, but for now I have no regrets about getting an ATS-V at the end of its production run instead of waiting to see what's next.

I think you nailed it on the exterior design. It would keep me from buying one

·
Registered
V3 CTS-V
220 Posts
all you have to do is find a turn or bend in the road and watch them fall behind. That and most of those guys can't launch their cars without blowing the tires up.
I drove a hell cat and it felt like the titanic riding on stilts. lol I just like seeing horsepower wars.

1 - 20 of 174 Posts