Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2019 CTS
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My interior is pretty quiet, but on a recent trip I noticed a noise coming from the upper center dash like the sound of a leaf or piece of paper in the A/C system. I have seen this mentioned before and did a search,but cannot find if anyone has any luck getting this fixed. I know the dealer is going to say they couldn't duplicate the noise or that it is normal, but when I had passengers in the car I had to have the radio on and the noise was still loud. Anyone have any suggestions.

·
Registered
CTS 08
302 Posts
I'll be interested to see what you find. i have found that shutting off my passenger side vent on the center console quiets the noise a bit.

·
Registered
Cadillac CT6 (2019)
2,313 Posts
No guarantees, but might be worth a try; turn the fan to max output and see if the object dislodges. (you may have already tried that, but that's all I got; other than a trip to the dealer)

·
Registered
CTS '08
215 Posts
I have had the exact same noise. Very tough to explain to the dealer...But not normal nonetheless. I brought it up with them and they checked out the AC and said everything was OK...Let me know if you find out anything new...

·
Registered
Cadillac
248 Posts
The sound of a leaf or piece of paper in the A/C system can be hear when I turn the fan to max output.

I don't hear when I turn the fan to One or two level below MAX output. My dealer knows it ...

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
If I remember correctly, ngiardina fixed that noise by putting some kind of lubricant on the little "wheel" inside the center dash air vent (it's the little piece that connects the part you hold with your fingers to the deflector panels inside it).

·
Registered
2008 CTS4
91 Posts
Let me guess...you have the DI engine...correct? if so, what you're hearing are the fuel injectors. They make a "clicking" noise under acceleration. It is very annoying and it gets worse and worse the colder it gets. It's something that I've learned to live with.

·
Registered
2008 CTS Blackallac, FE3, Fully loaded
317 Posts
My interior is pretty quiet, but on a recent trip I noticed a noise coming from the upper center dash like the sound of a leaf or piece of paper in the A/C system. I have seen this mentioned before and did a search,but cannot find if anyone has any luck getting this fixed. I know the dealer is going to say they couldn't duplicate the noise or that it is normal, but when I had passengers in the car I had to have the radio on and the noise was still loud. Anyone have any suggestions.

I had the same problem. The dealer is aware of this issue. They will put a shim in the AC Vent on the drivers side ( I bet that is where it is comming from).

I am in a loaner now and I hear the same thing in this one. Take it in there is a TBS for this....

·
Registered
317 Posts
Let me guess...you have the DI engine...correct? if so, what you're hearing are the fuel injectors. They make a "clicking" noise under acceleration. It is very annoying and it gets worse and worse the colder it gets. It's something that I've learned to live with.
My car is in for this as we speak, amongst other things. They ordered a new sound dampner for the hood... This is a different problem then the vent.

·
Registered
CTS '08
215 Posts
I had the same problem. The dealer is aware of this issue. They will put a shim in the AC Vent on the drivers side ( I bet that is where it is comming from).

I am in a loaner now and I hear the same thing in this one. Take it in there is a TBS for this....

Happen to have a link to that TSB?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Couldn't find the TSB, here is word for word from the service ticket:

Rattle from LT Center A/C Vent on high, Dup on Drive - show

Tech - Air Deflector Door Rattling, R&I Center Air Deflector to inspect noise. Install shims on air shut off door.

FP Number 11561653, Description Clip 14.630
FP Number 15911310 , Description Washer 12.809

·
Registered
2019 CTS
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:yup:I just picked my car and the dealer fixed among other things, the flutter sound from the center a/c vent. As stated earlier in this thread, there is a service bulletin for this repair. For those of you that need the number, it is FP-015911318

·
Registered
08 Platinum Escalade, 08 CTS, 01 TransAm WS6, 07 SolsticeGXP
478 Posts
TECHNICAL

Bulletin No.: 08-08-49-014

Date: September 10, 2008
Subject:
Rattle Type Noise Coming From Instrument Panel (IP) Center Air Outlet Deflector(s) (Add Mylar Washer)

Models:
2008 Cadillac CTS

Condition

Some customers may comment on a rattle type noise coming from either instrument panel center air outlet deflector.

Cause

This noise may be caused by the shut-off door rattling in the deflector housing.

Correction

Add a mylar washer to the center air outlet deflectors using the procedure below.
1. Remove the radio control assembly from the IP. Refer to the Radio Control Assembly Replacement procedure in SI.

2. Unsnap the air deflector (1) from the radio control assembly.

3. From the back side of the deflector (1), disengage the shut-off valve (2) from the deflector housing by prying the top edge (opposite side of shut off thumb wheel) of the door away from the deflector housing.

4. Slide a Mylar washer, GM P/N 15911310, (3) over the end of the shut-off valve's locating pin (4).

5. Snap the shut-off valve (2) back to the original position with the Mylar washer (3) in place.

6. Reinstall the air outlet deflector into the radio control assembly.

7. Repeat Steps 2 through 6 for the other center air outlet deflector.

8. Reinstall the radio control assembly. Refer to the Radio Control Assembly Replacement procedure in SI.

·
Registered
08 Platinum Escalade, 08 CTS, 01 TransAm WS6, 07 SolsticeGXP
478 Posts
Oh, by the way... It seems like there are two noises coming from the center console vents.

My first problem was solved with the above TSB. It actually sounded like popcorn or a loose piece of something inside the vent. (I actually made a sound recording of it). It was solved.

Now, although I no longer hear what sounded like a piece of popcorn or a leaf floating around, there is still that subtle flutter. It's a "non-clear" passage of air. Very hard to explain. It's like the air is passing through a baffle or something. My dealer is pretty crappy. I won't even bother trying to articulate to them what I am sounding.

As for my annoying ticking behind the instrument cluster... I am bringing the car in Monday for a new fuel pump.

I have to learn more about that center vent, though.... The difference between the crackling and that fluttering...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts