Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO Ive been lving in california for about a year now.I took the 97 eldo I had with me and to be honest it did very well(was at the 167k) for me until coming home one day from the mall....it started to overheat.I pulled over to let it rest for a bit and got into contact with a good friend of mine who was a mechanic,He told me to bring it right in.As I was riding to the shop on ball road.....BOOOOOOOM a woman tbones me,she ran a red light.Luckily their was nobody on the other side of the road at the time.After about 5 minutes I get out of the car,coolant spilled everywhere,and my whole front and middle end crushed.They ask me if i need medical attention but I refuse,I was a little sore and shaken up but I didnt wanna ruin someones life by saying i needed something i didnt.Anyways After reports and things were filed she ended up getting a ticket for running a light and I got a check from allstate for 5800 dollars and some change.I wonder what kind of cadillac I should buy next......Any recommendations?Im thinking about a nice etc.With the check they gave me a paper with classified listings of a couple of caddys for sale in my price range.There was even a nice eldorado convertable in there but that one was listed at 8200....

·
Registered
'03 STS (RIP), '89 Eldorado, '13 Malibu, '89 Grand Wagoneer
2,191 Posts
Well.. I'm not sure where about in CA you are so I did quick search within 100 miles of Sacramento just to get a good idea of what out there on the left coast with decent miles for under $6K:

A nice '94 Deville with 68K miles

A '91 Fleetwood with only 45K miles

A '90 Coupe Deville (!) with only 42K miles (!!!)

A '99 Deville with 89K miles

An '87 Allante with a hard top and supposedly 50K miles

'94 ETC with 93K miles

'94 Fleetwood Brougham with 153K miles (yikes!)

I don't even know if any of these cars are close to you but it at least gives me a good idea of what's out there for that kind of money. There are Eldos and Sevilles out there for under $6K but all with over 100K miles. Honestly.. if it were me and I already had an Eldorado I would still want a Caddy but I think I would want something different. I'd try to find a low(er) mileage Fleetwood Brougham and I'd be awfully tempted by that Coupe Deville... I always liked them! :yup:

·
Registered
Cadillac
201 Posts
you can find a really nice eldog or any other caddy cheap if you search around...where are you located that would really help out.

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
4,414 Posts
You should buy an LT1 Fleetwood Brougham :)

·
Registered
873 Posts
It was probably the head gasket god smiling on you the day of that wreck!
I second that. I had a Buick Century with a blown head gasket that would barely run. I thought it was pretty funny so I was trying to get it into town to put around in and on the way, some guy ran a stop sign and smashed the side of it. He got out and was like shit hide the beer. I didn't say anything because I knew it wasn't my fault.

I got $2400 or so out of the car that didn't even run.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
SO Ive been lving in california for about a year now.I took the 97 eldo I had with me and to be honest it did very well(was at the 167k) for me until coming home one day from the mall....it started to overheat.I pulled over to let it rest for a bit and got into contact with a good friend of mine who was a mechanic,He told me to bring it right in.As I was riding to the shop on ball road.....BOOOOOOOM a woman tbones me,she ran a red light.Luckily their was nobody on the other side of the road at the time.After about 5 minutes I get out of the car,coolant spilled everywhere,and my whole front and middle end crushed.They ask me if i need medical attention but I refuse,I was a little sore and shaken up but I didnt wanna ruin someones life by saying i needed something i didnt.Anyways After reports and things were filed she ended up getting a ticket for running a light and I got a check from allstate for 5800 dollars and some change.I wonder what kind of cadillac I should buy next......Any recommendations?Im thinking about a nice etc.With the check they gave me a paper with classified listings of a couple of caddys for sale in my price range.There was even a nice eldorado convertable in there but that one was listed at 8200....
You will not find parts for the roof on the conv because they were made by aftermarket companies that are likely not in business. GM most likely does not have access to part numbers or product.

How about a clean 95 or 96 Fleecewood Brougham with low miles. Very reliable; cheap parts. Extremely comfortable. Those two years use reg gas. Also, if you can locate an early 90s model SDV with a 4.9 instead of the Northstar, fewer opportunities for problems. Then there is the Park Ave if you can avoid the supercharger.

Stay away from Lincolns. $900 per axle for air shocks; rubber deteriorates.

By the way, glad you are safe and in one piece, I hope.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
You will not find parts for the roof on the conv because they were made by aftermarket companies that are likely not in business. GM most likely does not have access to part numbers or product.

How about a clean 95 or 96 Fleecewood Brougham with low miles. Very reliable; cheap parts. Extremely comfortable. Those two years use reg gas....

...Then there is the Park Ave if you can avoid the supercharger.
I wholeheartedly agree with the Fleetwood Brougham... big, comfortable, with classic Cadillac style... all with run-o-the-mill parts underneath... if you're looking for something that will be low on repair costs as well as something of a rarity on the roads one of those behemoths is the way to go.

I disagree with the supercharged Buick comment though. As long as you keep those superchargers properly maintained they rarely cause any trouble, plus those 3.8s can run forever, believe me, I've tried killing my fair share with no avail.

try a 95+ buick riviera those are damn nice cars....i think i will get one when im done playing with my caddy.
Excellent choice on the Riv... fast, comfortable, and stylish.. it was a real shame that they killed them off. I was oh so close to buying a mint '96 with only 30,000 miles on it a few years back... but I really wanted a new car at the time so I picked up the '04 Regal GS and didn't regret it for one sec, those extra two doors came in mighty handy.

Which while we're on that, if you're looking for something a little more sporty the '97-'04 Regal GSs still are one hell of a sleeper. Smooth ride, comfy seats, all the electronic doodads any normal person could ever need (dual zone a/c, heated seats, sunroof, power everything). Plus you get that fantastic supercharged V6. Plus there's tons of mods out there for them. Look for a jet black one... super smooth but slightly mean.

Of course by mean recommending the Regal to you is my way of living vicariously through you! Still a little sore over that whole ordeal... :mad:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wholeheartedly agree with the Fleetwood Brougham... big, comfortable, with classic Cadillac style... all with run-o-the-mill parts underneath... if you're looking for something that will be low on repair costs as well as something of a rarity on the roads one of those behemoths is the way to go.

I disagree with the supercharged Buick comment though. As long as you keep those superchargers properly maintained they rarely cause any trouble, plus those 3.8s can run forever, believe me, I've tried killing my fair share with no avail.

Excellent choice on the Riv... fast, comfortable, and stylish.. it was a real shame that they killed them off. I was oh so close to buying a mint '96 with only 30,000 miles on it a few years back... but I really wanted a new car at the time so I picked up the '04 Regal GS and didn't regret it for one sec, those extra two doors came in mighty handy.

Which while we're on that, if you're looking for something a little more sporty the '97-'04 Regal GSs still are one hell of a sleeper. Smooth ride, comfy seats, all the electronic doodads any normal person could ever need (dual zone a/c, heated seats, sunroof, power everything). Plus you get that fantastic supercharged V6. Plus there's tons of mods out there for them. Look for a jet black one... super smooth but slightly mean.

Of course by mean recommending the Regal to you is my way of living vicariously through you! Still a little sore over that whole ordeal... :mad:
Definitely all good cars.Iw ill say that my uncle is very loyal to the park avenue.He swears by those cars.He can afford a bentley if he wanted but he just loves those cars.He usually runs them up to 99k and then sells them to a family member for 5000,always maintained and all that so ill have to look into it.He always get the top of the line and now that theyve stopped making them he plans on buying an rr that is if he cant find a park avenue with under 1000 miles.So u think i should buy the park ave when hes done with it?

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Definitely all good cars.Iw ill say that my uncle is very loyal to the park avenue.He swears by those cars.He can afford a bentley if he wanted but he just loves those cars.He usually runs them up to 99k and then sells them to a family member for 5000,always maintained and all that so ill have to look into it.He always get the top of the line and now that theyve stopped making them he plans on buying an rr that is if he cant find a park avenue with under 1000 miles.So u think i should buy the park ave when hes done with it?
Since your uncle has always had them I'm sure you've rode in one before, it's definitely going to be a completely different ride than you're used to. The Park Ave is certainly not what one would call a "driver's car," it's a car that drives you. Expect to be completely detached from the road in any measurable way... but I'm not saying that's a bad thing. If it's the top of the line then it's an Ultra, which means it has every electronic goody available to Buick at that time and it has that supercharged 3.8. While you won't be winning many drag races with it, she'll more than be able to hold her own. If he's meticulous with his cars and is willing to give you a good deal on it then I'd say go for it. Just keep up on the maintenance schedule, change the oil when it tells you to, check the supercharger oil whenever you change your engine oil and top off accordingly.

If you're ready for something different than your Eldo and don't mind a super "cush" ride I don't think you would be disappointed by a Park Ave... you could definitely do a lot worse. If you're looking for something a little more sporty with a little firmer ride I highly suggest finding a Regal GS to go test ride or even a Riviera if you'd like to stick with a coupe. Both the '97-'05 Parks and the '95-'01 Rivs were built off of GM's G-body, the same as the Aurora.. so they're both stiff and straight as an arrow and is a surprisingly rugged platform.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts