Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
CTS-V
1,192 Posts
Hold on. Saying the Getrag is a piece of junk isn't entirely true. I'm not going to blame anyone for anything because there have been a variety of circumstances that caused diff failures (excessive whinning / grenading). Just based on my personal experience the Gettag has been perfect, no whinning and it's on the original fluid @ 25,000 miles.

I'd like to take it to my local 1/4 mile track to make 2 or 3 runs. If it brakes ... :rant2: The only thing I won't allow it to do is hop, because I think that's a key part in causing diff failure.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The Getrag isn't a piece of junk. It's a fine diff for a 4 or 6 cylinder car. The joke is that they put it behind an LS6.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
CVP33 said:
:welcome: You're very late to this discussion. There is a reason why they're called GET RAG.
:yeah:

Actually, this rear is a toy! I would give it 300HP tops.
I have done hundreds of differential rebuilds and repairs. This is by far one of the lightest duty rears I have ever seen in a performance car. In an attempt to make it light weight ( you can carry it under one arm) it was also made light duty. This is exactly what happens when you design on the edge or try to save a buck!! Had they set up the cradle to eliminate the hop/tramp it might last a bit longer. This rear will whine if it doesent now. The side cover is too weak to keep the guts in one place. Getrag knows its a dog in this application. Its a great differential but not for 400+ horses.

·
Registered
330 Posts
We all know the car was built for drag racing. But you should be able to do many full power launches over the life of you car and not have to replace rear ends.

·
Registered
CTS-V
1,192 Posts
DansCTSV said:
The Getrag isn't a piece of junk. It's a fine diff for a 4 or 6 cylinder car. The joke is that they put it behind an LS6.
A lot of the Getrag diffs are poorly constructed. I haven't been in a single CTS (non V) that doesn't have a noticable whine, so I know that power alone isn't the only problem.

They could have done better, and they should have. The '06's are getting upgraded diffs and a few members on the board have them, and I'd like to hear from them to see if they are infact better than before.

I'm looking forward to is having my rear diff fluid drained and visually analyzed. (I'll post pictures of the fluid)

·
Registered
'04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V, '13ZL1, '12 V, '16 Z06 SC757
6,440 Posts

·
Registered
CTS-V
874 Posts
DansCTSV said:
I wondered the same thing. I hope not. Were there any visible signs externally?
I didn't see any visible signs but I wasn't looking for a half shaft. I assumed the rear had gone out and just not broken the case. On mine the pass side half shaft spun in the inner CV according to the tech that repaired it.

·
Registered
'05 CTS-VM 51 track days in Maggied V & 82 in Atom 2 in Volt
1,690 Posts
Changed my diff oil at 1000 miles and again at 4000 both times with royal purple. At 4k it had a real strong gear oil smell much like natural gas. The wife came out to the garage thinking I broke a gas line and was going to blow up the garage.

Anybody else have the same strong smell. I know gear oil usually has that weird gear oil smell but this was stank..:farting:

·
Registered
CERTIFIED CADDY TECH
71 Posts
I work on them I know they are a problem, I was also told to fix the cars no matter what the customers do to them by the GM area rep. Because why?? They were built to do what they are put through. I was just stating that if you really look at the mix of things on the car, alot of parts are quite small and to me, fragile. I didn't build them, I just fix them. Have fun, I was just stating, maybe a 68 malibu or chevelle w/396 and ford 9" rear end might be more fun and less stressful than having to have the TOW truck take the car in. I was not trying to rip on anyone or tell you what to do. Have fun, JOB security for me.

Supercrew632

21 - 32 of 32 Posts