Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CTS4
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my timing chains (and water pump) replaced on my 09 CTS about a month or so ago. Since day one after the work it rattled when it first starts. The noise (which sounds like a diesel) goes away a few seconds after it starts but it is pretty annoying and getting louder. The shop said to give it a few weeks and it should go away.....it never did. They also said it sounds like the tensioners are dry at start up but after the oil circulates it stops. Can anyone shed some light on what could be going on and how to fix it?? By the way the shop has agreed to fit it since it's still under warranty. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I believe that I have the same issue although it is very slight and I am further out from warranty service. Considering having this looked at as well while still covered. 3.6 DI.

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
9,900 Posts
I had my timing chains (and water pump) replaced on my 09 CTS about a month or so ago. Since day one after the work it rattled when it first starts. The noise (which sounds like a diesel) goes away a few seconds after it starts but it is pretty annoying and getting louder. The shop said to give it a few weeks and it should go away.....it never did. They also said it sounds like the tensioners are dry at start up but after the oil circulates it stops. Can anyone shed some light on what could be going on and how to fix it?? By the way the shop has agreed to fit it since it's still under warranty. Thanks for the help.
Not normal. It wasn't present before, it shouldn't be present now. Whatever it is needs to be addressed before more damage is done.
My primary concern is if they didn't repair it correctly the first time, I would have little faith in their workmanship on a second go-around.

·
Registered
2013 Black Diamond CTS4 Premium Coupe (sold-09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony)
4,376 Posts
Agreed, not normal. Was this at the stealership? If so, can you go to another stealership to get another opinion?

·
Registered
2009 CTS4
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The chain replacement was done at a local shop who does work on my other cars. They have agreed to do whatever necessary to make it right. IF they replaced the timing chains and not the tensioners could that make the rattling noise?

Piston slap??

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
9,900 Posts
I would concur that the tensioners should be changed with the chains.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts