Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm on the elliptical this morning watching TV, and a Caddy SRX commercial comes on with the tag line "It is a weak man who urges compromise" or some such thing. It is an old quote.....and I can see a (very) narrow slot where it might appeal to someone's machismo in the auto market.

BUT, isn't caddy's target demographic the successful businessman or lawyer? Don't these people make their money making and urging compromises? Plus, the SRX (like all crossovers) is the epitome of compromises (the CTS-V might even have a compromise or two (smile)). Not to mention that many (all?) engineering decisions are compromises between the various laws of physics and a desired goal.

Is it just me, or is this advertising campaign a bit too insulting and disingenuous to do anything but harm to the brand?

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
Yeah, I think Cadillac dared a little too greatly with this one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Can Cadillac really damage their brand any more than it already is? Sure they've gotten a lot better in the last 10 years and this quote doesn't help, but around here anyway, if you're looking to spend $80k on a car almost no one even considers Cadillac.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
ugh.....banished to the lounge........
You should have started with "So I'm in my CTS V this morning watching TV.."

At least it was moved to the lounge instead of the SRX forum where it would never be seen. :stirpot:

·
Registered
'14 ATS Premium with 3 pedals | Past: '13 ATS Performance & '99 Seville STS
5,847 Posts
So I'm on the elliptical this morning watching TV, and a Caddy SRX commercial comes on with the tag line "It is a weak man who urges compromise" or some such thing. It is an old quote.....and I can see a (very) narrow slot where it might appeal to someone's machismo in the auto market.

BUT, isn't caddy's target demographic the successful businessman or lawyer? Don't these people make their money making and urging compromises? Plus, the SRX (like all crossovers) is the epitome of compromises (the CTS-V might even have a compromise or two (smile)). Not to mention that many (all?) engineering decisions are compromises between the various laws of physics and a desired goal.

Is it just me, or is this advertising campaign a bit too insulting and disingenuous to do anything but harm to the brand?
I wouldn't call it insulting, but for sure not very smart either! It seems that Cadillac is kinda desperate and "trying too hard" to show a new "daring" face that never compromise. But in reality they are not that daring, and their design and actions are full of compromise (And nothing is instrinsically wrong with compromise!) You mentioned businessman and lawyers who urge compromise, I would even give a more common example: Any relationship is a compromise. You don't compromise and your marriage will end b very soon!

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
It's only a ZING if it comes from a guy who did not sell his V first.....

* That's what you call a boomerang zing!

(but, the sale decision was a compromise, and thus I am weak, and thus unworthy).

* You'll be back. They always come back.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
* You'll be back. They always come back.
After a few weeks without the V, I agree. But, since Caddy is changing their nomenclature (and not offering a manual in the new CT6-V), I might have to change my nomenclature. I am currently thinking ZL1, or Z06, but that could change. Fortunately the few months till 2016's become available gives me a chance to resolve the financial issues ....

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
The Z06 is amazing! Given the choice between a V3 and Z06 (with Z07 performance package of course), I'd probably go for the Z06. You're giving up a back seat, and maybe even some straight line speed, but it'll be a better drivers car IMO.

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,718 Posts
After a few weeks without the V, I agree. But, since Caddy is changing their nomenclature (and not offering a manual in the new CT6-V), I might have to change my nomenclature. I am currently thinking ZL1, or Z06, but that could change. Fortunately the few months till 2016's become available gives me a chance to resolve the financial issues ....
We're already ordering 2016 'Vettes at my dealership.

;)

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Will it be or is it possible to order a Z06? or it going to be mothership-determined allocations and you take what you get?

·
Registered
2008 DTS PERFORMANCE GONE (R.I.P.)
1,160 Posts
If anyone were to ask me.... (And don't worry no one will), as for the the advertising campaign.... They need to (SHUT UP) so to speak, and work on making their product speak for itself. And what they would end up with instead corn hole cleaver catch phrases, they could just put them emblem on the screen. When a car can do that from an insignia and there is nothing said... You have said it all.

---------- Not that what they do is awful. But two feet on the ground is better than one foot in mouth.

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,718 Posts
Will it be or is it possible to order a Z06? or it going to be mothership-determined allocations and you take what you get?
We get allocations, but we save all of our Z06s for custom orders. It's just better that way than having a $100k car sitting on the showroom floor waiting for a buyer.

Florida's reeeeeal nice this time of year. ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts