Cadillac Owners Forum banner

It happened again!!

5674 Views 33 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  PGA2B
Driving home tonight and POOF!! P0420 now remember I got the car back 1 week ago Monday from replacing the other one for P0430........ What a PITA!! Gonna call Kachina tomorrow morning and see if I am going to have to take it in for them to read the code. I sure hope not cause its an hour there and and hour back. What really sucks is that I was going to have my emissions check done Friday.
21 - 34 of 34 Posts
Agreed. I had a cat fail and once the dealership diagnosed it and ordered the part they told me to come pick up the car. Why wait 6 weeks (which is absurd, I got the part in 11 days) with your car sitting in a parking lot when nothing is mechanically wrong with it. To hell with mother nature, she can suck on your extra NOx gases until the part is delivered.
if its bad enough to cause misfiring I wouldn't drive it. (assuming 'clogged' cat)

After looking up the DTCs it states:
Important: A new converter with less than 100 miles on it may set DTC P0420 or P0430 due to out-gassing of the internal matting.
Operating the vehicle at highway speeds for approximately 1 hour may correct the condition.

It also mentions this:

Repair Verification

1. Clear all DTCs.
2. Allow the engine coolant temperature to reach 70°C (156°F).
- Place the gear selector in Park, Neutral for manual.
- Set the parking brake.
3. Press and hold the service brake.
4. Run the engine for 6 minutes at 2,500 RPM.
5. Allow engine speed to return to idle speed, then place gear selector into Drive, or apply clutch pedal for manual.
6. After 2 minutes, verify that DTC P0420 or P0430 have passed or failed this ignition cycle.
¤ If not passed or failed this ignition cycle, the test aborted resulting in an inconclusive test result. The above test may need to be repeated up to 5 more times during this drive cycle.
¤ The first test should be run after the initial warm up period of 6 minutes. Between subsequent tests, maintain 2,500 RPM for 2 minutes.
7. If 6 tests have been attempted and the DTC has not run or passed during this key cycle, turn the key to OFF for 30 seconds, then run the procedure a second time.
See less See more
Just got back from Kachina with a new Passenger side Cat and Manifold. So those of you waiting for one should get it soon!

Now I have to adjust the MAF table AGAIN............ The bad cat was causing a false lean condition. Good thing it was actually rich....
Just got back from Kachina with a new Passenger side Cat and Manifold. So those of you waiting for one should get it soon!

Now I have to adjust the MAF table AGAIN............ The bad cat was causing a false lean condition. Good thing it was actually rich....
As did I.. My car feels like something iv never driven. Now I'm just waiting on them to finish the body work they messed up on.
Got my drivers side done. It took dealer 2 days to change it.
Got my drivers side done. It took dealer 2 days to change it.
My part came in on the truck that morning with the "overnight" shipment. They had it on in less then 6 hours. Good work but they didnt need to rush. lol
Yea, that is what I told the dealer. Can high efficiency cats be adapted
to your headers. I live in a lifetime smog state unfortunately. Let me know.
You can have them added to the exhaust right after the headers.
AriGold, thanks for keeping us updated on your progress! If you would like me to investigate any lingering concerns further, don't hesitate to contact me. I'm reachable via email at [email protected].

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service
ah ha! PGA2B aka Jaime, I thought I recognized your screen name. Im glad we were able to get both cats done for you. hopefully all is well with the car now.

As far as headers w/ cats, we made a few runs with cats intergrated into the headers when I was at D3...might want to see if they are still doing them. If i remember correctly, they are a direct fit replacement.
Yep you got me! Its running great! Had a little tuning to do and shes running like a top now and my idle issue is gone. I figured it was related to the cats and now I am sure of it.
21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.