Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started having a problem with my V transmission. When I'm sitting at a stop I'm having trouble getting the car into first gear. Doesn't matter if I coast to a stop with the clutch engaged or disengaged. Sometimes it's just hard to shift to first, sometimes it's impossible unless I cycle the clutch.

I did change the trans fluid and it made it a little smoother on shifts but still have the first gear problem. Not always an issue but more often than not. Second and fourth are a little noisy cruising but not terrible.

The previous owner bought an extended warranty so if it's not something relatively simple I'd like to get it in before the warranty expires.

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,187 Posts
What's the status of the clutch hydraulic fluid? Is the level good? (Reservoir is on the back of the driver side strut tower.) Is the fluid dark / dirty looking?

When was the clutch master cylinder last bled?

It may just need to have a good flush and bleed of the clutch fluid if that hasn't been done in a while.

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,187 Posts
I would start there. If the clutch hydraulics are all stock (in other words, no remote bleeder has been installed) then it's quite a pain in the ass. It's basically like bleeding the brakes, except the bleeder for the master cylinder is on the side of the bellhousing and there's little room to work with to open and close the bleeder. I've actually never bled mine without a remote bleeder, I just know others say it's a painful process.

A remote bleeder allows you to route the bleeder up into the engine bay (with a length of braided stainless steel line) so it's easily accessible. I think you have to separate the engine and transmission to be able to hook the remote bleeder up to the clutch master, so it's not a trivial thing to do. Generally folks do it when they have the engine and tranny already separated for something else, like a clutch replacement or a failed clutch master or whatever.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
414 Posts
I definitely recommend starting at the bleeding and going from there.

Once moisture contaminates the fluid it begins to start failing and can spiral quickly with the small quantity that is in the stock hydraulic system.

-Byron

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Am going to try and get to it this coming week. I've got a lift so hope it's a little easier getting to the bleeder with the car in the air.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts