Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently completed a DIY radiator swap, tossing out a broken stock radiator with the Alradco aluminum one. This is also the first time i've generally paid attention to the temp number on the instrument cluster too. The general operating temperature is from 190 - 221, which I think is good, but the temp swings from one to the other. One issue I'm running into is that when I shut the car off, the coolant reservoir overflows and I leak coolant from the spill over tube. Is this something I should be concerned about? I let the car run at idle after the swap was complete and new coolant was put it in, making sure there was no leaks or hose disconnects. I let the car idle for a while with the reservoir cap off too, is that considered bleeding?

·
Registered
05 Stealth Gray V
991 Posts
Do a search for coolant crossovers and venting of same. Thought I saw something about that at some point.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
You probably have an air bubble in the system. If that is case, you can eliminate it most of the time by detaching the hose that runs from the metal cross over pipe on the front of the engine to the interconnect on top of the radiator. The interconnect ties into the overflow/surge bottle. You then run the engine until steam emerges from the disconnect. The metal cross over pipe connects the water jackets in both cylinder heads. Since the front of the cylinder heads are higher than the rear, steam/air gets trapped there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts