Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just notice if im crusing around town and slowly brake for a light/stop sign the brakes or front end seems to be a bit loud. The pads were new when i bought this 2006 and only have 2k miles on them and look new still. Should it be silent or is this normal?

·
Registered
Cadillac
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to clarify, the noise sounds like i have an extra 2000lb load on the car. nothing high pitched, just a wieghted front end sound. The front wheels also get dusty 3X more than rears.

·
Registered
06 STS-V, 94 Fleetwood TS
754 Posts
I notice a bit of a roar from the front when the tires start to wear down. The Pirellis and the Falkens did it. I have the Goodyears now and they are quiet so far. I was convinced at one time that I had a brake or bearing problem but when I put on new tires, all the noise magically disappeared.

·
Registered
none
627 Posts
That is more than likely tire noise. Switch the tires from left to right.
Yes, the front brake dust A LOT more than the rears.

·
Registered
2006 STS-V (Light Platinum/Tango) *SOLD*
140 Posts
I've noticed a drastic decline in the amount of brake dust with the HPS Hawks pads. Recently swapped the Pirellis for Goodyears and they are super quiet at the moment. I had never experienced "noisy" tires until I bought this car. Those Run-Flats were like bricks!

·
Registered
Formerly 06 STS-V, now 13 XTS
536 Posts
I noticed this too on my car. It sounds like the car is heavily weighted in the front and there is a lot of tire noise. I took the car in to Discount Tire today and they showed me where the outer edge of the tires were starting to get rough (and this is after only about 3000 miles on the tires). It looks like my front end is out of alignment which is causing the outer edge of the tires to wear too fast.

I'm taking it in for an alignment at the dealer tomorrow.

A quick check for you would be to feel the inner edges and outer edges of the tires. They should feel smooth. If the edges feel rough, then you may have an aligment issue causing premature tire wear and thuse the sound.

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
none
627 Posts
I noticed this too on my car. It sounds like the car is heavily weighted in the front and there is a lot of tire noise. I took the car in to Discount Tire today and they showed me where the outer edge of the tires were starting to get rough (and this is after only about 3000 miles on the tires). It looks like my front end is out of alignment which is causing the outer edge of the tires to wear too fast.

I'm taking it in for an alignment at the dealer tomorrow.

A quick check for you would be to feel the inner edges and outer edges of the tires. They should feel smooth. If the edges feel rough, then you may have an aligment issue causing premature tire wear and thuse the sound.

Let us know what you find.
I have found this to be the case on most any V I've ever looked at. I run my front tire pressure at 35 psi to combat this and seems to help. I run the rears at 28 psi because they tend to wear in the center.

·
Registered
2015 BMUU 335i MSport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)
25,514 Posts
I'm beginning to think the recommended pressures for the tires are not correct as well, and that actually the fronts need slightly more and the rears slightly less then is shown for the car. Although the Pirellis did have center wear when I took them off at 8K miles, the G.Y. F1 A/S have been wearing fine in the back. Right now I'm running 32F/30R (backwards for the recommended).

·
Registered
Formerly 06 STS-V, now 13 XTS
536 Posts
I have found this to be the case on most any V I've ever looked at. I run my front tire pressure at 35 psi to combat this and seems to help. I run the rears at 28 psi because they tend to wear in the center.
Thanks. I'll give that a try. It is nice to know it is rather common and not just my car. The alignment seems to have helped already too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts