Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been longing for a 67-68 Deville for many years now. I'm finally at a stage in life where I can look to buy, but every few months I change my mind over whether I want a coupe or convertible. Convertible is ideal but the idea of getting a higher quality vehicle for a lower price is drawing me to the coupe. So I ask, which do you have and why do you prefer it over the other?

My goals are to have a good condition weekend driver that I can take anywhere. I'm an experienced mechanic but I don't want to buy a rust bucket that I have to restore/spend years chasing down trim pieces. I'm hoping to spend around $8k (flexible....)on the initial purchase.

·
Registered
1970 Deville Convertible
309 Posts
I prefer the convertible over the coupe, though it costs more (generally). I highly recommend you buy one that is COMPLETE and not missing anything. It is easier to rebuild/refurbish components than to find replacement components. Buy the one in the best condition you can afford. It will save you money in the long run.

The downside of the convertible is that it is noisy when the top is down and you are in traffic. There is a great deal of road noise. When driving with the top down and no other cars around, it is bliss.

Good luck on your search, took me about 2 years to find mine.

chris.

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,963 Posts
Have you had an old convertible before?

They did not have the padding and insulation that modern cars enjoy.
When the top is up at highway speeds you hear the wind rumble over the canvas/vinyl.
If new to that, spend quality time driving in those conditions.

Always bothered me that in the early 60's you could buy a new VW for a couple thousand and have a padded insulated top with a complete headliner. Yet in 76 Cadillac you were still just a layer of canvas and staring at bare roof bows inside! :tisk:

That said, I am a convertible guy. Had them all my life in many makes. I would stretch for a ragtop. Even if it meant waiting/saving a couple more year. I have been leaked on and deafened at high speeds, and low in some of them:lol:, and it is just part of the fun. It is not for everyone though.

I love them and the great moments when the top is down and sun is shining is worth it to me.
You are either a convertible person or not. If you aren't sure, you might not be.

Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
10,052 Posts
If you have a garage where the convertible will be kept out of the weather, go for a nice convertible. I love my 65 Impala. There is something about dropping the top on a nice day that you just can't match in other cars.

·
Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts
I only put my Impala convertible top up when it rains unexpectedly and fall time storage. If I can't drive with the top down then I drive another vehicle. If it was a coupe hard top I wouldn't get half the enjoyment out of it. Convertible driving is a completely different experience imo. I guess that's why they cost more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts