Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2010 white diamond sedan, 6MT,all options. 641 RWHP/592 RWTQ
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if those of you with around 550+ RWHP have big traction problems with the stock Michelin's? I am debating getting a 9.5 lower and a tune but don't want to if there is no traction at that HP level. Also I don't really want to switch the tires. Thanks, oh and I have a manual.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
do you have traction now? i certainly dont!
Good point, I was just wondering how much worse it got......not so much from a stand still, but more from roll on's!

·
Registered
None
5 Posts
do you have traction now? i certainly dont!
I would guess no ... It would have been nice to see the cts-v come with 305's out back.

I currently have a 2SS/RS camaro at 600rwhp and though they are different cars, the 275's the camaro came with stock didn't cut it at 426hp .. I'm guessing the 285's are just as bad on the cts-v .. I now have 315's on almost 11" rims and at my power level it is better but still doesn't hook as well as I would want it to ..

Crowley

·
Registered
2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V
3,570 Posts
You'll probably be fine with just a 9.5" lower and a tune.

When I was at 585/585 rwhp/rwtq (manual transmission), which took more than just a 9.5" lower and tune, on 305s was at least bearable. You could mat the throttle in most of 2nd gear and reasonably hold traction. At 615/650 rwhp/rwtq, it has become a joke of epic proportions...on the street at least

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You'll probably be fine with just a 9.5" lower and a tune.

When I was at 585/585 rwhp/rwtq (manual transmission), which took more than just a 9.5" lower and tune, on 305s was at least bearable. You could mat the throttle in most of 2nd gear and reasonably hold traction. At 615/650 rwhp/rwtq, it has become a joke of epic proportions...on the street at least
Was that the Mickey Thompson 305's ? I guess anything short of slicks there will be some traction problems at that level.

·
Registered
2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V
3,570 Posts
Was that the Mickey Thompson 305's ? I guess anything short of slicks there will be some traction problems at that level.
I agree with that assessment. I fully expect to only hold traction on the street in high 2nd gear (if at all in 2nd gear) or 3rd/higher gear(s)...

·
Banned
2009 CTS-V, 2007 Z06
2,843 Posts
I was just wondering if those of you with around 550+ RWHP have big traction problems with the stock Michelin's? I am debating getting a 9.5 lower and a tune but don't want to if there is no traction at that HP level. Also I don't really want to switch the tires. Thanks, oh and I have a manual.
it's not a lot worse then what the traction is stock IMO... yeah at 550 it will get out from you if your not paying attention, but from rolls it's still VERY manageable and streetable. I'd put some 305's on it regardless, and I plan on puttin 305's on mine as soon as the stockers run out. 305's, 650 rwhp, and the car, oh yeah it's gonna be fun. Now to go get all my mods on :)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it's not a lot worse then what the traction is stock IMO... yeah at 550 it will get out from you if your not paying attention, but from rolls it's still VERY manageable and streetable. I'd put some 305's on it regardless, and I plan on puttin 305's on mine as soon as the stockers run out. 305's, 650 rwhp, and the car, oh yeah it's gonna be fun. Now to go get all my mods on :)
Well thats good to know, sounds like i'll probally go ahead with the mods. I know first gear is pretty much always useless
when it comes to traction but glad its not too bad with the roll on's. What do you have planned for your beast?? And what do you like driving more, the V or the Vette?

·
Banned
2009 CTS-V, 2007 Z06
2,843 Posts
Well thats good to know, sounds like i'll probally go ahead with the mods. I know first gear is pretty much always useless
when it comes to traction but glad its not too bad with the roll on's. What do you have planned for your beast?? And what do you like driving more, the V or the Vette?
well i'll be putting the cai, 9.5 (maybe a 10"), modified x-pipe to eliminate the crap exhaust crimp, h/e, and then when drumstix produces there items those.

After that it will depend what I'm at, headers maybe.... or a cam. Just all depends. Drum is coming out with some goodies that I might just to have. I really wanna see how high I can get without putting a cam in.

and as far as driving better.... it's tough. the z is 551 through an auto, and it is a BEAST!! I like them both, but the nice thing about the v, is that it's refined, where the z is just brute power lol:) the z is a bit rougher around the edges.... ;)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well i'll be putting the cai, 9.5 (maybe a 10"), modified x-pipe to eliminate the crap exhaust crimp, h/e, and then when drumstix produces there items those.

After that it will depend what I'm at, headers maybe.... or a cam. Just all depends. Drum is coming out with some goodies that I might just to have. I really wanna see how high I can get without putting a cam in.

and as far as driving better.... it's tough. the z is 551 through an auto, and it is a BEAST!! I like them both, but the nice thing about the v, is that it's refined, where the z is just brute power lol:) the z is a bit rougher around the edges.... ;)
Sounds like you will be making some good power.....now let me know if you can keep it planted, lol. Looking foreward to some times and dyno numbers, keep us posted.

·
Registered
(V)icious Coupe
709 Posts
OP, my .02. My V-Coupe has 600RWHP and from a 45mph hit (auto) it downshifts and blows the stock tires off the back....If you plan on modding, which it sounds like you do, you must plan on a better grip tire if you want to really enjoy most of the power on the street. The 305s can't hurt, and some have suggested running a DR IF YOU DONT DRIVE IT IN THE RAIN!!

·
Banned
2009 CTS-V, 2007 Z06
2,843 Posts
OP, my .02. My V-Coupe has 600RWHP and from a 45mph hit (auto) it downshifts and blows the stock tires off the back....If you plan on modding, which it sounds like you do, you must plan on a better grip tire if you want to really enjoy most of the power on the street. The 305s can't hurt, and some have suggested running a DR IF YOU DONT DRIVE IT IN THE RAIN!!
I won't argue with that, but at the same time you learn to feel the car and what not you can easily spank all cars on the street (ok 99% of em) and still have a LOT of fun :)

·
Registered
(V)icious Coupe
709 Posts
I won't argue with that, but at the same time you learn to feel the car and what not you can easily spank all cars on the street (ok 99% of em) and still have a LOT of fun :)
I agree with you as well....even a 04-05ish supercharged stang, that just so happened to see some caddy tail lights yesterday LOL

His whistle was loud....but mine was louder LOL

·
Banned
2009 CTS-V, 2007 Z06
2,843 Posts
I agree with you as well....even a 04-05ish supercharged stang, that just so happened to see some caddy tail lights yesterday LOL

His whistle was loud....but mine was louder LOL
bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!! I want my car off the lift! I hope I can track down Mike so I can get my midpipe!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts