Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other morning, I was chasing a rogue belt squeak, they are always worst on cold starts. I was checking all the usual suspects, idler pulley, water pump, alternator, flywheel, power steering, belt tensioner, the air conditi….. error-error-error.

How is this even possible? Smaller belt?

Automotive fuel system Automotive tire White Motor vehicle Auto part

·
Super Moderator
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
14,151 Posts
Are you referring to the fact that the AC is run by its own stretch-type belt or is it not moving?
Kinda hard to tell not being able to see the AC pulley.

·
Registered
2013 Escalade ESV AWD Platinum
52 Posts
The A/C belt is a stretch to fit belt. You will have to cut the old belt off first. When fitting the new belt you can either use a tool they sell to help stretch the new belt as you rotate the engine clockwise or tie wrap it to the harmonic balancer with heavy duty tie wraps to get it around and on. It not too hard.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The A/C belt is a stretch to fit belt. You will have to cut the old belt off first. When fitting the new belt you can either use a tool they sell to help stretch the new belt as you rotate the engine clockwise or tie wrap it to the harmonic balancer with heavy duty tie wraps to get it around and on. It not too hard.
What about the tensioner? There isn’t one. The bolt holes are there. Is stretch belt from factory or cheap aftermarket crap?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you referring to the fact that the AC is run by its own stretch-type belt or is it not moving?
Kinda hard to tell not being able to see the AC pulley.
There AC belt tensioner is missing completely. There are two bolt holes about an inch apart right adjacent to the transmission cooling lines. This is where the AC tensioner pulley is supposed to be… Or as I’ve seen in the tech diagrams.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stretch belt?!?!? I don’t want spandex running my compressor, seems like a terrible idea! I was under the impression that the belt tensioners job was to keep a specific tension on the belt despite weather conditions, moisture, age, etc. etc. etc.

·
Registered
08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
1,862 Posts
What about the tensioner? There isn’t one. The bolt holes are there. Is stretch belt from factory or cheap aftermarket crap?
GM made an update and that involved removing and discarding the ac belt tensioner and using a shorter belt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
14,151 Posts
There AC belt tensioner is missing completely. There are two bolt holes about an inch apart right adjacent to the transmission cooling lines. This is where the AC tensioner pulley is supposed to be… Or as I’ve seen in the tech diagrams.
My '13 Tahoe is the same AC belt setup.
Works perfect.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The Stretch belt is Much Much better that the crappy prior belt & wimpy tensioner setup. My Escalade was made before they changed to the stretch belt. I ditched the tensioner and switched over to the stretch belt. The best belt is the GM OEM one, part number 12624100. Part number 19210691 is the same belt plus an installation tool. But the installation tool is much harder to use than the cable tie method, so just order the belt.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Stretch belt is Much Much better that the crappy prior belt & wimpy tensioner setup. My Escalade was made before they changed to the stretch belt. I ditched the tensioner and switched over to the stretch belt. The best belt is the GM OEM one, part number 12624100. Part number 19210691 is the same belt plus an installation tool. But the installation tool is much harder to use than the cable tie method, so just order the belt.
I guess I’ll check the tension on belt to determine how much life is left. Should deflect about 1/2” centerspan if I’m not mistaken.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
GM made an update and that involved removing and discarding the ac belt tensioner and using a shorter belt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you know what year this change happened? I have an ‘09 ESV. I did get my hands on some official GM tech docs, but they span from ‘07 to ‘13. I guess I missed the notation regarding this change on my ‘09.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts