Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
haven't made the trip to Bondurant but I still want to learn better shifting techniques. This article was pretty good but, I've never heard about this TIP.

Overall Tips & Warnings
When shifting from 2nd to 3rd you do not need the clutch to disengage from 2nd - just to engage 3rd, so you can simoultanously press the clutch AND shift the lever, shaving another split second off your times. this, however, is not recommended with 1st gear which in most manual cars is asynchronious.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2047376_race-manual-transmission-car.html

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
Yes, it is true. On a fast shift the pulling motion on the shifter to come out of one gear should start coincident with foot pressure on the clutch pedal which is, of course, before the point of clutch disengagement. The trick then is to hit the point of disengagement on the clutch travel coincident with the shift motion into the next gear. It is actually easier to do than to explain. In fact, if you practice making faster shifts you will likely start doing it automatically as your hand wants to "cheat."

·
Registered
'05 LS6 V Stealth Grey; '14 Z71 SLT Sierra 1500 Stealth Grey
2,821 Posts
Power shifting. Easiest 3rd-4th.

·
Registered
2016 Black Raven CTS-V Previous 2007 Black Raven CTS-V
107 Posts
When drag racing, you don't need to lift your foot off the gas pedal either...even if you miss a shift, your rev limiter will protect the motor! ;)

How's the practice going?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm getting better but not consistant enough. Ran a heavily modded Cobra & SRT-8 300. Out of three runs each, I got them each once. Should've had them all three times.
At first sight, nobody wanted any of the V. When I told them I was new, they started to fall in line.

·
Registered
05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE
1,596 Posts
That frog in the rally car has some balls ehhh!!! I think those guys are the world's best racers. Check out the drop offs on the Pikes Peak course. It made me sick just watchin'. Imagine punchin a V around that course. We'd never make the first turn!

Mike

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
The nice thing aslo you don't have to put the clutch all the way in either, only an inch inch and a half will engage. Makes it even quicker.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When drag racing, you don't need to lift your foot off the gas pedal either...even if you miss a shift, your rev limiter will protect the motor! ;)

How's the practice going?
This was the best advice yet. It's sooo smoothe too.

The nice thing aslo you don't have to put the clutch all the way in either, only an inch inch and a half will engage. Makes it even quicker.
I'll be trying this next cause I'm currently taken it to the floor and back each time.

Thanks Guys

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Yeah just a little, do a little less each time untill you feel comfortable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts