Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Catera Sport
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my timing belt kit today and in it was the water pump, belt and what the tensioner.

I want to know though in terms of the the tensioner I only received the round piece that says SKF on it. I did not get anything else attached to it. Im sure this is right but Ive always seen this pic floating around so I assumed I would get the whole thing...

What I have circled in red is what I have...

Is that correct?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 Catera Sport
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
one more question.

I just went to the dealership to order the pulleys and the main parts guy is away. So the guy there didnt seem 100% sure about which pulleys to order. He said it was the idler pulley (9196294) and the crank shaft pulley (9228479). He quoted me trade price at 173.00 for one and 181.00 for the other. Is he wrong cus those prices sound absurd to me just for pulleys...

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
Cadillac Catera Soon CTS
118 Posts
yes thats the tensioner its

the tensioner for aux is on the left side under the far left cam gear
and tensioner for the tbelt is inbetween the the 4 cam gears O O - O O

·
Registered
2001 Catera Sport
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ive been back and forth to my caddy dealer but because Im from a small town they know virtually nothing. I already have the parts kit 55352001 and I ordered two pulleys with the part number 90573616. The circled tensioner in the picture is what I received in the kit. I dont know if I have all the parts and if what else to do because the dealership doesnt seem to know either. They could order me every individual part but then it would cost be 1300CAD.

My appt. is for tuesday does anyone know if im on the right track... cus if I were to guess right now it seems as tho I am still missing the timing belt tensioner which I have tried so hard to get in the first place.

PLEASE HELP!

thanks SO much!

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 Catera Sport
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry for all the posts guys... but i thought i would let you know, I decided to call a service manager in Toronto that worked on a lot of cateras since noone in my town knows them. He said with the revised parts the service interval does not have to be shortened. He was extremely knowledgable and talked quite abit about the Cateras and some of there problems and misconceptions. He said he has worked on quite a bit of them and even the 97s with a revised kit have not yet come back and some over a 100000kms on the kit. So since I only have 58000km im not going to worry about it for now, and when my car hits 100km i will get that dealership to do it!

-Dave.

·
Registered
1998 Catera
93 Posts
I'm getting ready to do this job. Unless I also am confused, what you have circled is the tensioner. There are two idler pulleys - in the picture: one idler pully top middle (cam gears 1, 2 to the left - cam gears 3, 4 to the right) the other on the bottom right next to the crank shaft pulley. They look identical, except the top one has the black nut in the center, the other is silver.

I ordered the ACDelco kit and was confused when I opened it. The tensioner and the top idler pulley are on the same bracket - and came that way in the kit. Being inexperienced, I thought the whole thing was the tensioner and that I was short one pulley. The part number is the same on both pulleys though, so I eventually figured it out with that and looking at a diagram in the service manual.

You made me think of something though, is there any reason to replace the crank shaft pulley? I can see (and assume) that the cam gears are one solid piece, so there is no worry of failure. Then there's the tensioner, two idler pulleys, and the water pump that get replaced. That leaves the crank shaft pulley. Does anyone know about this? :hmm:

·
Registered
2001 Catera Sport
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey!

I have done quite a bit of reading on this subject but I am still no pro. Today the dealer confused me quite a bit and seeing various pictures... but i learned exactly what you said, so I would say you are right about the tensioner and pulleys.

As for the crankshaft pulley i dont see why it needs to be replaced if it is not in the TSB 02041a and noone has really mentioned it. But double check anyways since I am not a mechanic.

One thing i did learn tho talking to a cadillac service manager in Toronto about the cateras is that once the revised tensioner and kit are installed there is no real worry anymore. He said if it were his car he would have it changed every 100 to 120 kms. He is the first person I ever talked to that knew all the quirks about the cateras and actually praised them. He was extremely knowledgable since he was working on them since 1997.

·
Registered
Cadillac
34 Posts
Hey dpligocki,

I take it your from Toronto. I just bought a 2000 Catera (I am regretting it a lil bit due to aal the ngihtmarish horror stories ) and live in the GTA. The car runs great, so far no problems, love the car. But I've been advised to change the timing belt just in case. My regular mechanics can't do it. GM up Victoria Park JUST quoted me $1000, which I guess isn't too far out.

My question to you is, do I even need to do this? And are you dialed in on any mechanics that do this?

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that I'm getting scared.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts